electrical stimulation for depression and anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

Read some articles about devices that deliver very small charges of electricity through the synapses of the brain.  This supposedly painless treatment is supposedly very effective in treating depression and anxiety.  I think it's called cortical electro stimulation though I'm not 100 per cent sure.  Face it.  The anti depressants are not good enough.  They're too touch and go as to whether they'll work and finding one that does is a time consuming painful pain in the neck.  The side effects are plentiful and it's an ongoing nightmare being on them, adjusting them, changing them, coming off of them and trying different ones.  IF this treatment is a viable alternative to this crap than it's worth looking into.  Look on the internet search engines for electrica stimulation for depression if you want mmore data.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi I think you are referring to ECT.  This is delivered by a machine which  does send electricity though the head.  There are several problems with this though.  There is no scienfitic proof that it helps though it does seem to in some cases.   It is usually only done in a hospital setting under close supervision.  It can cause permanent memory loss and damage.  And finally it is only done as a last resort.   I wouldn't recommend it to anyone to be honest.   x
    • Posted

NOt ect.  This is a small device that sends very very very small charges(unoticeable) charges into the head.  You attatch electrodes to your temples and a very tiny unnoticeable charge of power gently stimulates the synapses.  It is unlike ect which uses stronger charge and can be inurious in many ways.  This is a scaled down gentler version of ect done at home or in a doctor's office.
  • Posted

Wish it was that simple but sadly I need my memory so I'm going to continue school to become a counselor. I think it may end up helping me as I learn a lot about the field I'm going into. Wanting to help others is going to end up helping me. I don't recommend electrical stimulation so really think about it before you do it.
  • Posted

My mother had this many times from 1957 onwards. It was many many years before they diagnosed it as manic depression or Bipolar disease as it is now known. Her cycles used to be years apart and were bearable for us and her. As she got older (late 60's) her episodes became more severe and very close together and it became so difficult for my father that they separated after 50years of marriage! One of the sessions of ECT actually resulted in a hole being blown out thru the back of her eye.  By the time she died at 72 (of BP and other complications) her episodes were virtually hourly and she was in a home. They had no idea how to deal with her and were contributary to her death because of this.

My brother and I have watched ourselves like hawks in case we developed BP!  To date, only the usual times of normal depression. ECT a is a BIG deal and I would suggest you explore anything and everything else before even considering it. It may have helped my Mum, but I will always think it contributed to her death. Sorry if this is depressing but the truth often is.

• Posted

Hi I am so sorry to hear about your poor mother.   She must have gone though hell as did you and all her family.

I remember reading when ECT was first invented..  It was seen as a cure all and a miracle treatment specially in the 50's through to the 70's.  I think they are a lot more aware now of the damage that can be done.  Nowadays with new methods of dealing with mental health ie more ad's and proper therapy this is only used as a last resort if at all.  x

• Posted

Thanks for understanding hypercat, and you're right, it was hell for us all. It was like living with Jekyll and Hyde. I know this is usually a treatment of last resort, but once you've had it, they go straight for that treatment every time! Will let you all know how I get on......x
    • Posted

You are welcome Mad.   I remember being hospitalised for depression way back in the 70's.  I saw friends having ECT and saw what they suffered and it was awful.  Fortunately I didn't have it.

I wouldn't worry too much about having the same treatment if any others of your family are bi-polar.   I obviously hope none of you are but there are a lot of different and better treatments available now.    Good luck to you and let us know how you get on please.  Take care.  bev x

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear about all that.  This is not ect in the sense of what she had.  This is a small hand held device the size of a smartphone with wires attatched to your temples.  The electrical charge is so miniscule and minor you don't really feel it and you're awake and concious.  It's supposed to gently stimulate one out of depression and anxiety.  Maybe it works maybe it doesn't but I've heard good results.  It supposedly does not shock the hell out of the patient or produce any of the traumatic effects of hospital ect.
    • Posted

this is a greatly scaled down method.  Only tiny almost unnoticeable charges of electricity are sent into the brain.  It supposedly does not have the injurious effects of ect.  Of course this is relatively new, supposedly patented in 2007.  It's apparently done at home while concious using a small charger the size of a cell phone.  No anesthesia is required.  I am familiar with people who've had hospital ect and I saw what that could do.  
    • Posted

I'm pretty sure I've heard about this and its benefits. There must be some reason why its not yet widely available. I believe lithium is now given people with BP indefintely, and apart from maybe a bit of weight gain in some but by no means all people, is a pretty effective treatment.

I have known a few people from an older generation who swore by ECT. One lady who used to be a GP - if shes still alive would be in her late eighties, suffered regular episodes of severe depression, and according to my mother in law, her friend from medical school, who was also a GP, used to 'book herself in for sessions' of it, when she felt the depression coming on - whatever 'booking herself in' meant - I have no idea. Maybe she had friends in psychiatry who were willing to do this. But in your'e 70's and eighties, I guess she calculated a bit of memory loss was tolerable and preferable to debilitating depression.

• Posted

Hi Jim

I guess it is logical to assume that new discoveries have been made in this sphere of medicine. I can't figure out what yours is supposed to do - it def wouldn't work for bi-polar disease but might be useful for depression. Keep us advised if you use it.

Cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.