Changing the time I take my fluoxetine

Posted , 3 users are following.

i was diagnosed 3 years ago with bipolar and I take a 20mg tablet anther same time every day, about 8am. I will be starting a new job that means I will be in work at 0630! I am wanting advice about what to do with my tablet, after I take it I need to sit upright for about 15-20 mins or I get the worst heartburn so I can't even take it and go back to sleep right away if that makes sense. Also when I take it it knocks me out for about an hour AFTER I lie back down again. 

should I try taking it before I go to sleep at night or simply just bite the bullet and set my alarm earlier to take it? Problem is then it would wake my wife up also so that's a major downside

the medication really helps me 90% of the time I am much better and the swings are less frequent and sever, I'm just afraid of changing the routine and going backwards

is another option to maybe take it at lunchtime instead? As in St the start of my break then if it makes me drowsy I'd have time to recover before my shift starts again?

sorry guys just this job has came out of the blue and I'm stressing about it

any advice would be amazing

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Was told this forum was good and many other threads are getting answers...could someone please give me some advice?
    • Posted

Hi StevO,

I'm sorry you're struggling but well done on the new job.

I started taking mine before bed and it took a few days to get used to but it really helped. Now I have more energy, better appetite and it helps me sleep.

Good luck xx

• Posted

Hi Katy thanks so much for the response. Did you skip a morning when adjusting to taking it at night or did you take a dose before bed the same day so technically having one and a half doses that day? I never would of imagined it could help taking it before bed so I will most certainly try that. Thanks again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.