Private repair cost - incisional hernia

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, I have an incisional hernia from scar above my belly button (after gall bladder op last year) I've been to see GP who said they won't refer to get it fixed as its a symptomatic blah blah....I'm not impressed. Looking to see if anyone has paid privately to have a similar hernia repaired and roughly what cost. I've looked online and approached some providers but they want you to pay a consultation fee and then tell you. There's lots of info on bog standard hernia repair cost but reaching out to see if anyone can help 😊 many thanks for reading this

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

,Hi Florabora I had an incisional hernia repair last year in Edinburgh ai  mine was an open repair with mesh and abdominoplasty.  The surgeon there Mr. Andrew De beaux charges a flat rate of £10,000.  I got mine sorted on the  NHS, I have had 3 C sections, a bowel perforation which resluted in a laprotomy, which became infected and wound took a few months to repair, I was a natural czndidate for hernia.  As I am 69 it is taking a while to get better and used to the mesh.  Hope you are successful in sorting out your hernia
    • Posted

Thanks Shirley. Glad you're on the mend. Hoping my hernia repair won't come to £10,000, as I will have to find myself as NHS won't refer me (want to watch and wait but I don't want it to get bigger or have problems with it) keeping fingers crossed it's less than half of what yours costed! Take care
  • Posted

Hi. Mine was just a bump when it started, as I suppose happens with them all. By the time I had it done it was a really big bulge and I suspect they just had to operate within the waiting time frame. They used mesh and it seems ok now after 7 months, but there is still a bulge. The surgeon said it was ok and was 'what we surgeons call fat!' Probably right. I wear an abdominal binder during the day. 
  • Posted

Hi I think they do get bigger mine did,  I cant understand why your dr wont refer you, I was referred to 2 different consultants on the NHS and chose t go to Edinburgh as he is way better than my local consultant in Hull.  I would go back to your GP and try again t get him/her to refer you.  It is a silly system that will allow some and not others access via NHS.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.