weight loss on IBS

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All,

I would like to ask if you are experiences with unexpected weight loss on IBS? I have read that it is possible, some articles says its not.

Another one : do you experiences that pancreatitic enzymes helps you to releave / lower your symptoms as abdominal pain, weight loss, diarrhea?

I am confused as my symptoms says it could be cronic pancreatitis but my doctor says pancreas is ok in organic way its just functional disorder + IBS.

Thanks.

ML

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi ML83!

I've struggled with my weight a lot. I went down to just over 7 stone from nearly 9 in the space of well, not long. I have IBS-D so any food that went in would come out normally within minutes so weight always just got lower.

What are pancreatic enzymes? I've not heard of this before..

Hope you're okay!

• Posted

Yes I really struggle

No appitite and diahorria is weight loss

Went fom 10.4 stone to 8.8

Xxx

• Posted

It's even harder when you have diarrhoea isn't it cause there's just no way to put on weight..

What's helped me out some on is papa johns pizza haha. For some very bizarre reason, I can eat that and be fine! Try finding a very bad food for you that doesn't make you funky and see if that helps! smile

• Posted

Hi LoLo,

I have to admit that pizza is fine for me too....

Do you take any drugs to support your digestion?

• Posted

It is!? How strange! Atleast it's a nice food smile and a great food to help put the pounds back on!

I've tried things in the past, but it gets to a point where medication stops working on me and right now I'm on nothing but strong painkillers.

I'm seeing a dietician next month so hoping they'll be able to help with that. What are you taking?

• Posted

I am on a border.My symptoms shows it could be IBS but also more dangerous chronic pancreatitis.

Doctors says pancreas si fine. But I have asked for digestion enzmyes (kreon,...).It helps to digest as much as possible and that works for me.

I put some weight on and my pain is less. generally I have pain after meals.

• Posted

Hi

I have lost a lot of weight in acute episodes of IBS. Would be in the bathroom about 10 times a day. It is possible.

Vivian

• Posted

Cant help with cronic pancreatits, and I have never lost weight due to IBS.

Debs

• Posted

yeh since my Dia got really bad ive gone from 15 and a half stone (I'm 6foot 4 btw so its a pretty normal weight for me) to nearly 14 and a half in about a month and a half.
    • Posted

Hi Godlsim,

do u know what was the reason? Did you have normal stool aor bad one several times a day? Thnx

• Posted

Just bad diarea stool constantly several times a day.
  • Posted

Yes it is possible for various reasons - i developed food intolerances after a gastric virus years ago and cant eat alot especially heavy calorific foods - need good oils.

I have IBS-C and can get espisodes of D also.    It's when i'm in pain that i suppose i eat less and recently have gone down to 5st 7lbs at 5ft 3  !!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.