Symptoms are ruining my life, help

Posted , 5 users are following.

Last year I started to show the symptoms of IBS and though i've done so many tests, I just keep getting referred for more tests and meanwhilst it has slowly destroyed my life. I got kicked out of sixth form today because of low attendance in the mornings where I always have a flare up. GP refuses to write a note or atleast print off my medical history for the school and the school also refuses to call them and instead doubt me about repeatedly asking. Please help, if there is anything I can do to control this can you please share with me because I just want my life back rolleyes

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, are u on any medication? What are the symptoms u suffer? I'm sorry things have got so bad for u, it can be v hard sad
    • Posted

Hi, I am on nothing now. My GP prescribed Buscopan but that did nothing for me and then they prescribed Laxido which also had no effect. She was going to prescribe me Colofac but it is not licensed for under 18s so she sent me home with nothing, said there was nothing she could do other than more tests rolleyes thank you for answering to my post
    • Posted

Also my symptoms are bloating, alternating constipation and diarrhoea, I feel movement in my abdomen and I get very painful stomach aches and spasms. Been getting these throbbing sensations in my abdomen as well
  • Posted

sad I'm in the same boat. Out of work since October as I'm pretty much house bound now. And doctors aren't doing any more tests on me!

Not what any 22 year old wants their life to be like!

Your sixth form surely should be writing to your doctor. Ask for sick notes and they will have to do something about it. It's not you fault! Try not to let it bother you (I know, easier said than done!) but if you stress more, it makes you worse. Try and find something that keeps you relaxed.

Wishing you all the best!!!! x

• Posted

I'm so sorry your doctors aren't doing anymore tests, I really feels like we're being left to fend for ourselves sad my 6th Form is unfortunately no help at all, my teacher in fact said there are people with worser things so she doesn't understand why I find it so difficult to stay in school when I have my flare ups sad

Thank you for your advice and well wishes, I wish you the best too and hope you feel better soon, we can hope

• Posted

That's just crazy! What tests have u had? Please tell me not just blood tests 😠 It really infuriates me. I'm now 40, having been diagnosed with IBS D aged 19. I was so ill back then so u have my total sympathy. I'm sure u can use peppermint oil, I use mintec and colpermin (prescribed) but I think u can buy them at Holland and Barrett and u can get Colpermin at the chemist. U need to give it a few weeks to work, but they really help once they kick in and I can't live without them. Have u found any triggers?
    • Posted

Exactly but she seemed to get more angry as I kept saying I was now out of school as of today because I counldn't control the symptoms. I have had alongside the blood tests, 3 faecal tests for calprotectan and 2 tests for H Pylori. She wants me to do another calprotectan test tomorrow. Thank you for your sympathy and advice, its greatly appreciated smile I will go get some tomorrow when Boots open in the morning, thank you for the suggestion. So far I've found that things with wheat and milk in them are triggers for me. I will keep doing the food diary to see if I notice anymore triggers within my already limited diet
    • Posted

Have you had a colonoscopy to make sure there's no inflammations and that? They should be putting you forward to get one if they haven't already. Goodbye dignity! Haha.

We really do! Do you know what triggers your symptoms?

It's shocking they're treating you like that. If you have IBSD, it's classed as a disability so you could get that against them! Shame on them!! Can you not do like a homeschooling kind of thing?

Just read your symptoms and they are exactly the same as mine bar the constipation. Do the spasms feel like a stabbing pain that like double you over? sad

• Posted

What are ur calprotectin levels, do u know? I think 60 or under is classed as IBS. Investigations such as colonoscopy usually happen if they are raised. My last one was over 350 but they are struggling to find the inflammation sad Can u get ur parents to speak to school? I work in a school and this is discrimination!!!! If u were my child I would be going insane at them lol x
    • Posted

The last results of my faecal test came back with an inflammation in the bowels and so my GP suggested a colonoscopy but she says she will only do that once I've done another calprotectan test. Ah dignity, I'm starting to forget what it feels like to have had one in the first place!

Wheat and milk are triggers for me but I seem to be getting a mild reaction to everything I eat and then I get stressed and the urge to go worsens dramatically. I am very shocked myself because an adult has gone with me on my behalf and explained but to no avail, it is starting to feel surreal, all I want is to be well enough to actually finish 6th form next year but they refuse, crying is now a hobby of mine.

I have been researching into homeschooling since I got home from the GP a few hours ago and I think I would have to have a meeting with the city council for permission so I will be trying to get as much information as possible on it because I really want an education. Yes those are exactly the pains sad Incredibly painful and stops me in my tracks every time rolleyes

• Posted

Well if u need a colonoscopy don't panic. No its no pleasent but, it's a must and u can get sedated. The prep is the hardest part for me, but we will advise u on all that IF u need one. U don't need the extra worry. Do u go to a school or an Academy? Just out of curiosity! I'm lactose intolerant, it appears to be fairly common with IBS/IBD. If I so much as look at butter/cream/milk/cheese/pastry or any foods containing lactose, I have attacks of explosive diarrhea and it can last days, even if I just had one item of food with it in. It's really hard!
    • Posted

The first one I did came back 72mg/kg stool which my GP said was mild as usually it should be 51 or less but I do not remember the results of the follow up ones I have done since my symptoms got worse but I'll be sure to get the test done tomorrow then and go see the GP next week as she wants to know if it is still rising and hopefully this time she'll refer me for a colonoscopy. I hope they find your inflammation site soon because that is exceptionally high! sad I do not live with my parents but I will be talking to my Mum tonight to ask her if she could talk to the school on my behalf. Haha its nice to see I wasn't overreacting in my head about the way I have been treated by certain staff in my school smile
    • Posted

Thank you for the advice, it seems a little scary but like you said IF I need one then i could get sedated. Can I ask, what do they make you do for preparation? I go to an Academy. Exactly, its the ultimate test because everyone around me is eating all these things I used to be able to eat but its either risk it and have an embarrrassing situation later on in the day in public or just stick to the same safe foods and at least feel less pain!
    • Posted

You should have the tests to rule out IBD as u fall within the "usual" age range for things like Crohns disease which tend to peak during the late teens unfortunately. All my notes say I have "regional enteritis" which is another teem for crohns and they have been since I was 19. My consultant is at a total loss as all my other problems also point to crohns yet my scope was clear. There has to be someone at school who u can speak too, I'm angry that u have been treated this way!!!
    • Posted

I knew it would be an Academy. The rules they impose is just ridiculous and they seem to forget that children and young adults have human rights! The prep for a colonoscopy involves clearing out the bowel. U have a restricted diet of basically white foods for a few days before, white rice, Turkey etc, then u have to drink a litre of water with laxative powders in. Thats the easy part haha. It then turns ur bottom into a jet wash and u spend about 4hrs sat on the toilet whilst ur bowel quite literally gets cleaned out. Then, depending on what time the test is, u have to do it all again! The colonoscopy itself, they sedate u and fill u full of pain killers, give u a pair of dignity pants (I kid u not) with a little hole in the back, then pop the camera in. It's uncomfortable, I won't lie, but over VERY quickly I promise smile x
    • Posted

I will bring that up to my GP cause I have heard that the symptoms may be similar to that of IBS, thank you smile So are they going to have a repeat colonoscopy for you to check if they will find anything on the repeat try? I wish there was an easier way for them to diagnose these things so you could sooner get treated, I really hope they figure it out for you as to whether it is Crohns smile There was the school nurse I used to talk to but I do not go see her anymore as my deputy head of sixth form has told her that all matters related to me come through her and its a bit embarrassing talking to her as she shouts and the male sixth form staff all join in. She has a personal dislike of me due to my attendance which I guess there is nothing I can do about. I will speak to them again tomorrow and if i face the same treatment, I shall look into taking matters to the headteacher for the whole school, maybe he would be more understanding rolleyes
    • Posted

No, no plans to do another colonoscopy right now. I'm booked in for a camera down my throat to access the top of my small bowel as that is where they think the problem is. Make notes chic. Look back thro all these messages and write down ur questions to take to ur GP. U can always find advice here, if u need to private message me at all then feel free. I have a 17yr old daughter and if this was her, I would be going crazy! I'm sorry that you can't take a parent with u, but I hope that u do have support elsewhere x
    • Posted

Aha since joining, I have heard so many other students comment that the school doesn't care about the students, only league tables and statistics. One of my friends has already been pulled out by his parents due to the stress the school put him under. Dignity pants, oh dear God that sounds so mortifying, if I have to do this i'm really hoping its over as quick or as close to quick as having a camera in there can be :D
    • Posted

I'm based in Notts and we have a chain for want of a better word, of Academies that seem to be taking over. I moved my daughter after 2 yrs of bullying which left her in an anxious state and self harming. It was an awful time. Her new school was a god send and she achieved 10 grade c or above GCSES. I totally blame the school! They are utter control freaks in my opinion. Can u not go to a local College instead or find another Post 16 centre? sad Higher Ed is difficult enough without a lack of empathy for students!
    • Posted

Hopefully it all goes well and safe good luck!!! I will definitely make notes, I have a notepad I write down all the advice I have been given on this discussion as this has been more helpful than all my trips to the GP! Thank you so much, I will make sure to inbox you if I have more questions :D I do, I have key workers who I have told and they'll also be getting into contact with my school on my behalf so hopefully we can come to some arrangement. Thanks again, I cannot put into words how grateful I am right now smile x
    • Posted

That's good to hear, im glad u have support in place. And like I said, people are always here to offer advice. If u need any clarification on what the GP says then again, make notes and ask on here so we can support u ok 😊 Good luck to u x
    • Posted

Ok I will, thank you for all your help 😊 and good luck to you too x
    • Posted

The dignity pants are hilarious and super comfy!

For the prep sachets, mix them into lemonade. I've done many and they made me throw up until putting it into lemonade and it just makes it taste like flat fanta lemon.

But yeah it's hilarious what happens once it starts. I sat on the toilet nearly wetting myself laughing because you just don't expect so much to come out. But you will feel amazing once you're completely empty and it normally takes a few days to a week, to get back into a "normal" routine of toilet trips.

Don't worry about it though, it's more the fact you get embarrassed about a camera being put into your bum, it's not too bad if you take the sedation.

I've had 5 done so far, and one time it got stuck haha. But the doctors are always lovely smile

• Posted

I can definitely testify that my age group can be lethal when they decide to pick on certain students and most of the time many teachers in which the bullying takes place in their classrooms can remain oblivious to it and even when someone reports it, it carries on rolleyes I hope your daughter has fully recovered from the mental distress they put her under, she sounds extremely smart! smile  I have emailed my old secondary school about possibly continuing Year 13 at their 6th form instead of the academy I am currently at in september. They got back to me and are checking to see if the exam boards are compatible and hopefully they will accept me because I would leave without hesistation! I definitely will smile Good luck to you too x
    • Posted

Haha somehow even though it all sounds embarrassing you make it sound like it will be a blast :') thanks for cheering me up and telling me what to expect if that's what's in my future, at least I can mentally prepare😂
    • Posted

Thank you, she is smart and extremely beautiful with it, which seemed to be the root cause of the bullying unfortunately. She is now studying for a Diploma in Art and hopefully off to Uni next year. She still suffers some down days but we are getting there and I try my best to support her smile I hope u can return to ur old school, hopefully they will be much more sympathetic if u r honest with them from the outset smile
    • Posted

Jealousy really does bring out the nasty side in some people, they're definitely not worth her time. I wish her the ultimate success, she deserves it :D she's very lucky to have a mother like you smile yea honesty is definitely the best policy, I have told them everything to ensure they are kept informed and not wondering about details smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.