Anyone from the Crewe, Cheshire area?? depressions hard to do alone

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm not alone, I have a wonderful family but depression puts you in your own little bubble of loneliness that robs your family of the person you once were. Wondering if there is anyone local-ish who wants to chat/share/anything really! I can't put my friends and family through this any longer, there's only so many times they can hear the same thing and its so draining for them but I also am finding it harder to pretend I'm ok when I'm not! I'm 43 and have had this my whole life but recently much worse. Maybe we can support each other?? Any replies welcome x

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

hi Elouise,

i hope oped you are keeping well, my understanding of Crewe and Cheshire is that there isn't much mental provision that is good. I know Mind runs 1-1 sessions out there but as for group sessions with people who truly understand are available in Staffordshire, that's the closest that I know of. Is that too far for you or manageable ? 

Talking to to people on here is really good and supportive but I think to talk to someone who you can relate to and talk with is a very special thing.

think about it 

• Posted

Hi Lorraine, many thanks for your reply.

I don't really understand why there is so little support as in group therapy as I think it would help people to feel less isolated. Staffs isn't far, I would definitely consider going there. Do you know who runs them?

Thanks again

• Posted

Have you tried Depression Alliance's Friend In Need online community for those with depression? http://www.depressionalliance.org/how-we-can-help/friends-need

It's a good way to find people in your local area and there may even be people in your area who want to start a group. I run a local group for Depression Alliance and have done so for 18 years! It really does help to meet others who understand because they have been there too. Wishing you all the best.

• Posted

Hi. Thanks for replying, I'll have a look and see as that would be great. I would love to get involved in running one at some point. Now's probably not the right time but when I'm better! No-one should go through this alone. I'm lucky to have family and friends to help but I often think of those who perhaps live alone, must be awful. Well done you for running a group for that long. Do you have depression too? X
    • Posted

Have been away, hence replying late. Yes -- I have suffered from depression and anxiety on and off since my teens -- I am now in my 50s!! The support group has provided me -- and all of us -- with a network of friends and supporters and has made a huge positive difference to my life. I do hope when you feel better you may be able to connect with others in your area who have been through similar. This will help you to realise you are not alone in this. Take care.
  • Posted

Hi Elouise

your situation is mirror image of mine. My mum is back in hospital and miss her so much particularly in the evenings. Tend to clock watch between 7-10.

i live in Macclesfield and after this week's event I felt sometimes that all the rats have left the sinking shipsmile As for the system it stinkssad

if you have BBC I player I suggest you take a look at the Victoria Derbyshire programme from Monday morning it was about mental health and the system. Believe me you get a accurate picture of how bad the system is.

if you ever fancy a chat maybe we could sort something out and share our experiences.

in the meantime take care

john

• Posted

Hi John. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Is your mum still in hospital? I really hope she's ok and home soon. You're not too far from me in Mac are you. How long have you been suffering with this? Would love to hear about your experience. I will have a look at the program you mentioned.

Take care

Elouise

• Posted

HI

Got mum home yesterday evening eventually. 

Yep I am just in Macclesfield. Know Crewe quite well. Often go to the theatre there.

I had my  1st experience of depression exactly 30 yrs ago, I was diagnosed with OCD eventually. Thought it was a one off but in last 10 years or so it seems to flare up quite regularly. This time it's worse than ever. 

be great to meet you, swap story. I feel much better and easier when talking to someone who has had similar experience. Be in touch. In the meantime you take care.

john

• Posted

Hi John

Glad your mum's home, must be a relief for you both. Depression really is a horrible thing to be stuck with isn't it. Takes everything from you. In what way are you ocd? Do you manage to work? I'm off sick at the moment and its driving me insane, so much time to dwell. How old are you? I'm 43 and have had periods of depression my whole life. Trying a new tablet just now so here's hoping! Do you take meds?

Take care

• Posted

Hi..sorry for replying until now been a hectic week here.. We now have a  live in carer looking after mum. And she only started on Monday. Even before mum came out of hospital. She is a wonderful lady and is settling nicely.

My troubles really started 30  years ago I had my OCD ,I was going through a bar of hand soap every day as  I was  washing my hands after doing something even simple things just had to wash them. Sounds daft  now but it seemed normal at the time. 

As for meds I take Venlafaxine for my depression with diazpram as a back up if I get panicky during the day. I also suffer from ulcer colitis ( inflammation of the lower bowel) have  done for 20 years so I take stufff that.

How are you? Any plans for the weekend?I was near Crewe earlier this week went to talk on health care in Alsager in my role as a carer or should I say now ex carer. The group made me feel very  welcome

Take care and speak to you soon.

john

• Posted

Hi elouise how are you today?

I'm in the same boat at the moment off work and off uni and stuck in my friends flat all day while she goes off to work..it's enough to make anyone depressed!

How long have you been off work for now?

I desperately want to work but I'm so scared to take the step because I've taken on too much in the past and ended up making myself feel worse when I inevitably fail.

How are you spending your days at the moment?

Are you managing to get out at all, even just for a short walk? It's not much but a big achievement when you're feeling like this!

Maybe when you're feeling more up to it you could look into support groups in your local area smile

• Posted

Hi elouise, I find these forums good to talk to someone who you can't see and in who turn can't see you, however sometimes it's good to meet up with like minded people to get other people views and opinions on what they have tried and whether it worked or not. Do you drive ? Are you able to get into the Staffordshire area ? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.