topiramate threshold?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Can anypne tell me the signs of the gigher lmimt of the high dose of topiramaye please. i increased my night time dose to 75 mgs 10 weeks ago. Felt worse initially as expecteted then picked up anit. /]now i have this constant migraineous aura headache for three weeks, /i takke the topiramate for constant migraine aura, please excuse typing, /cant read due to migraine and really unwell.. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I mean the symptoms of being at your threshold sorry!
  • Posted

Hi bear11

I went up to 75 mg last year on Topiramate and I have never felt so dreadful. I had continuous migraines for weeks and just couldn't tolerate the drug .

You must drink loads and loads of fluids . Doctors don't tell you this !

I developed all kinds of symptoms, numbness in finger tips and a tingling sensation.

I was cut down to 25 mg at night only as I could not tolerate it in the day or the large doze .

I do hope this helps you .

• Posted

What you are taking is the generic for Topomax, which is an anti-seizure medication often used in migraine therapy. It will also make you lose weight, or it should. They advise for migraines the following usage:

Maintenance dose: 50 mg orally 2 times daily, in the morning and in the evening

Titration to 100 mg:

-Week 1: 25 mg orally once daily in the evening

-Week 2: 25 mg orally 2 times a day, in the morning and in the evening

-Week 3: 25 mg orally in the morning and 50 mg orally in the evening

-Week 4: 50 mg orally in the morning and 50 mg orally in the evening

If you need anything else let me know. I hope this helps!

• Posted

One last thing, be careful, I mean I tried it for a month but I had to stop bc it made my finger tips numb. Just watch out and if you are experencing bad side effects call your dr he will tell you ween off.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.