I need Tramadol Intervention

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am having a problem. I started doing Tramadol about 4 years ago. I keep trying to quit but instead keep doing more and more. Now I'm up to almost a 100 (50ml) a day.... Pretty unbelieveable. I never had pain. I started doing tramadol because of the seratonin < not="" sure="" about="" the="" spelling=""> . It just makes me feel so normal. Of course to keep that feeling you have to keep moving up the doseage.  I want to get off but I can't control it. I live in Thailand so you just go down to the pharmacy and buy ten in the pack for $0.29. Under 30 cents ( pack of ten). Of course I alway want to quit especially while I feel good but once I stop the pain sets in big time. I need intervention. I need to be locked down and put on a decreasing dosge unit I can get down far enough to cold turkey. 2- 5 (50mils) a day. It will take a long time. It's depressing. Sometimes I just say okay I will just do them for the rest of my life (I'm 60), I hate to think like that and at some point I won't be able to get them as easy as I do now. In essence I am trapped. I couldn't possibly leave the country. I would need a suitcase of tramadol and I am sure most countries would let you bring that much in even if you had a perscription which I don't. Just walk into any pharmacy and buy them.

I have a questions for you. I have lost many function while taking tramadol. Of course my function may be more affected that someone taking a couple of 50's a day(50mil) and some might be age.. I would really like to know how it has affected you? So I will make a list:

-Memory - Decreasing

-Ability to smell

-No desire or ability to have sex

-Dizziness and equalibrium

-Have trouble remembering how to spell..

-Can sleep 24hr anytime anywhere.

-Can stay awake  24 hours no prob

-No motivation

-Depressed about my situation in spite of taking Tram for depression..

-Dry mouth alot (cotton mouth)

-Crave sugar.

-Can't seem top finish any projects big or little.

- I forget the rest of them but there are a couple more

Would you please let me know what effects you are experiencing even if not the same as mine. Also please let me know your doseage and length of time you have been taking Tramadol.

I'm, a school teacher and somehow I pull it off but it's getting harder. I could be a much better teacher without Tramadol.

Let me know any other thing that you feel is significant.

I sure hope you are okay and please please try to stop because you will take more and more I promise you will.

Sincerely Doug

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Doug,

Basically, you are doing it wrong - I was taken off Tramadol by my Pain Management Clinic Consultant.

What you do not do is drop the Tramadol initially, you need something like Gabapentin. You can wean yourself on to these in 2 weeks, then you start decreasing the Tramadol dose. Eventually, you will get to the point where you will just be on Gabapentin.

Wean yourself off Gabapentin, and you should be fine. No need for Tramadol. You cannot just stop Tramadol without severe side effects, which many people try to do.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

BTW, that list is basically Tramadol related. I used to be the same (I'm 52) - I used to be one Tramadol SR (Slow Release) so my level of Tramadol never dropped over a 24 hour period, it was left like that since it was 24hr period without feeling pain.

I cannot say I was addicted to them, I know people say they can be and have awful side effects.

• Posted

I wasnt addicted to Tramadol or Gabapentin but I had a dependency and it took about 5 months to get back to normal. Les is right you cant do this on your own. You need guidance and backup meds. I first took Tramadol for back pain but it helped me sleep which was wonderful and I would wake up in the morning feeling relaxed and happy. Towards the end it was having the opposite effect and so I stopped it. I had also taken Gabapentin which was awful to give up too. Please go and see a doctor and get referred to someone who can help you to do this properly. Its going to take a while but you can do it!
  • Posted

Hi there I have been on tramadol for 4 yrs resulting in a maximum daily dose of between 20-30 50ml . As im sure that you already know 400ml is the maximum daily recommended dose....yeah right..Anyway to cut a long story short I joined a drug and alcohol unit which I continue to attend I am now down to the recommended 400mg per day....The tapering is quite slow to minimise withdrawal symptoms..Im not sure if getting off this drug is what you want. Therefore I shall withhold on the been there done that route unless specifically asked by anyone. All I can say is tramadol was destroying my life mixed together with the many prescribed meds that I am also taking. Yes all of the above Dry mouth insomnia restless legs and on and on had them all. One thing I can say is by addressing my addiction I feel in control, some days are better than others but I will eventually be tramadol free given time....I wish you well jx
  • Posted

There are medications that you can take to minimise withdrawal if you asked a clinic. I know its difficult with you being in another country...I was worried sick about experiencing bad withdrawal if I remember rightly some of the meds mentioned during my detox (which thankfully I did not need were) subutex (buprenorphine) and naloxon. I think the naloxon was classed as a maintenance drug to keep you feeling well and in control of any withdrawal probs....The only problem that I could see with this...was then you had to be weaned off all of them, just changing one drug for another, which ironically is exactly the plan for me with the pain patches it really is catch 22...I wish you well on your journey, there is help out there....jx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.