How long should I allow to come off Amitriptyline

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking Amitriptyline for a few months for pain relief but it's not working very well so am thinking of coming off it as the drowsiness and other side effects are not great.  I am currenlty on 35mg once per day and will start reducing it from now on.  How long should I allow to come off this medication completely as I know people get withdrawal symptoms from it?  Am thinking of going from 35-25-20-10-5 and then 0. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have taken my self off this after taking for 14 years, I began coming down by a quater of a tablet (10mg) every month when reaching half of prescription, i started cutting up the tablet smaller and take it for longer period. then every other night. It took 3 years for me only because I wanted to make sure I did not get any panic attack which is a symptom some people get when coming off too quickly. but if anyone has been taking it for less that months then by all means come down slowly, this you can do in your own time. do not rush. I have heard some people do not get any symptoms if they have been taking it for a brief time, make a note of how you are doing this. Some times i still get a cold sensation down my back but when i feel this I know that it is a side effect of taking this for such a long time.

Maybe you could talk this over with your GP, this is the best way forward.

• Posted

That is a lot, I was only taking 10mg and that made me feel bad!
  • Posted

I probably shouldn't be listened to, but whatever. I have to alternate between Amitriptyline and Trazodone for my sleep, because after a few months each one just stops working for me and I have to switch to the other one. I only do about five days of weaning for each one, e.g. five days of lowering the Amitriptyline dose (from 150mg, I usually only drop it down to 75mg) and then five days working up to the full Trazodone dose (100mg, and I start with 50mg). Like I said, this probably isn't how you should do it, but I have enough trouble sleeping without spending extended periods of time on insufficient doses of whichever medication. So far this accelerated process hasn't left me with any negative effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.