Throat Tighteness

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone. 

I have been having a really bad feeling where it feels like my throat is tightening or is swallen. I suffer from panic, anxiety and depression and when I get this feeling it directly brings on a panic attack and then I feel short of breath, light headed, and all tht fun stuff. Also this feeling is activated by cold environments or cold drinks or foods. 

My ENT couldn't perform the endoscopy exam bc my panic is that bad. Please help me, what tests can I get done to make sure there is nothing wrong with my throat.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I've been going through the same thing and am shooting for an ultrasound or CAT scan of my neck. I know its hard to stay calm, believe me, I do. But it really makes things worse to panic about it. Just fight the panic and try to relax a little.
    • Posted

Hi Cameron I don't know if you noticed but this thread is over 3 months old. My throat Tightness is gone and I feel alot better in that department. Please take my advice and don't do the CAT scan as this has alot of radiation and can be very harmful to our bodies. I have done a coronary cta that all my doctors advised against. I had chest pain at the time and the day I got my results back the pain disappeared. So trust me this is all mental. If you really want a check up go for the ultrasound which is completely safe and radiation free or an mri of the neck. None of these use harmful radiation. Cheers.
    • Posted

Hi Emilia,

I am also suffering from this condition for almost 4 months now, been on PPI's for the first 2 months as my globus is probably triggered by GERD/LPR. Never had some serious ultrasound or CAT to scan my neck. My ENT doctor just performed Laryngoscopy and found nothing in my throat but redness and that was 2 months ago. I would totally agree with you that this is all mental, but sometimes i can't help but think that my esophagos might have been damaged due to acid overflow that reaches my throat sometimes which makes me anxious all the time too.

I'm glad that you're globus free now. ^^) What have you been doing so far?

• Posted

My ENT doc found nothing at first, but low and behold a barium swallow (I know, its bad) revealed a lump or mass in my throat. Either a really bad tonsil infection... Or cancer (super super unlikely). Had an MRI today actually. I'm hoping for results tomorrow. But as a general rule if it lasts for more than two weeks, it needs to be looked into. Trust your body's signals until you're given a reason not to. I bought the mental thing hook line and sinker and it turns out I'll need surgery either way. Not saying that's the case for everyone.. But you can't be too careful.
    • Posted

Came back clean, im very relieved. But my tonsils need to come out, they're causing throat tightness that's responsible for my globus symptoms. Hopefully once they're gone I'll have a normal neck again.
    • Posted

I am glad your test results came back fine. smile

I also suffered from tonsilitis a month prior to having Globus. It was around May of this year. i was advised by my doctor to take antibiotics. After the 10 day session, the puss/stones were gone but the my tonsils were still swollen a bit and had some scratchy feeling in my throat. It also makes me think my tonsils are causing this lump sensation or probably my GERD/LPR. I am still uncertain at this point but i won't give up searching for any treatments (natural) until such time i figure out how to overcome this sickness. By the way, i'm a health anxious person too.

Please keep us posted of your condition Cameron after your tonsil removal. biggrin God Bless! cheesygrin

• Posted

Hi Cameron, hi Japhetrey, 

I am glad my post served as a place for you all to discuss similar symptoms. Yes, I am globus free at the moment. Yay. :D Although this symptom has dissapeared, others have taken it's place. For me it's always that way, one symptom after another. Now I have been mostly dealing with shortness of breath and lately some nausea which may be caused by acid reflex. 

Cameron, good luck on your surgery and keep us posted here. smile 

• Posted

Hello Emilia,

I am so glad that you're globus free now. cheesygrin I hope it stays like that.

I also sometimes experience shortness of breath and a 24/7 pressure in my chest area which i believe caused by Acid Reflux/GERD/LPR.

I already stopped taking PPI's for my reflux for almost 2 months now (afraid of becoming drug dependent) as there are so many natural ways to cure it. A change in diet is the most known advice from doctors. 

Goodbless us all !

Cheers!

Japh

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.