Appropriate sandals

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, wondering wchich type of sandals did your surgeon recommend as appropriate footwear? Those with the toe post (between the first & second toe) OR those with a strap running across (from the base of the big toe to the base of the little toe)?

I am concerned that the former would deviate my 1st & 2nd toes and the latter rubs right against my bunion. (It is now 6 weeks after my operation).

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Almost 5 weeks since my op and I have been recommended flip flops with toe post. Wear them for short periods at first.  These sandals support your feet well.

these can be expensive but I got mine for haOf price off shoetique

excellent value.

• Posted

Hi Laureen

I'm 5 weeks post op today and I'm still in the special boots and will probably be upgraded in a week or 2. Do you have a link so I can order the flip flops you mentioned online please? Thanks a million.

• Posted

The site is Shoetique on Amazon,. Can,t give you anymore info.

• Posted

I was told to wear a supportive trainer, or sturdy lace up.
    • Posted

Yes my daughter in law wears these by flip flops following op, because they are so supportive.  But for summer and holidays I will wear toe post.n
  • Posted

I was a bit confussed do you mean fitflops not flip flops?
  • Posted

Had the same advice as Smab, to only wear a good supportive trainer as this helps you roll your foot correctly as you start to walk again smile
  • Posted

Although I was in plaster casts for the first 6 weeks my

surgeon recommended good sturdy shoes once casts were

removed.

Have also seen the podiatrist twice, 4 and 5 months after OP

and she said FitFlops and the like really are not good for your

feet as they offer no support whatsoever.

• Posted

Hi

I am wearing toe post sandals with no problem . You can also try Vionic orthopedic sandals which aligns your feet and walking is easier with them on. They so tow post and other styles as well . I like toe posts as they don't run against the scar.

• Posted

Hi, thanks to everyone for their reply. At 7 weeks after surgery, my feet are still unable to fit into my trainers, hence, my question in relation to open toed footwear.

(I am not ambitious with footwear as I consider being able to get into trainers my end goal - no heels nor fancy shoes for me! )

• Posted

Hi.... I should of added that although my surgeon said I'd be ok

to wear my normal shoes at my 6 week check the only

footwear that I felt comfortable wearing until 13 weeks post

op wear my surgical shoes. And although now being able to

wear trainers with orthotic insoles Fitflops are my at home

everyday footwear. I don't wear heels as I'm more into

comfort.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.