Withawing from Diazepam - should I also withdraw from Dihydrocodeine

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi - Until recently I was obtaining Diazepam from the internet and my dose increased to 40mgs a day. The pills were just not working for me anymore and my anxiety and depression actually got much worse. I have now seen my GP and in co-ordination with a drug rehab team I am now on a slow taper of 2mgs each fortnight. In addition, I take Dihydrocodeine which I receive via prescripton and which was diagnosed for a genuine reason. However I know that I no longer need to take the amount of DHC prescribed - 1 or 2 30mgs every 4/6 hours. My goal is to be free of all mind altering substances eventually. My GP feels the Diazepam withdrawal is my priority and that we can address the DHC reduction once I am diaz free. I know I need to be very careful but I am interested to know if anyone else has withdrawn, or attempted to withdraw, from two addictive drugs at the same time. Many Thanks.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey    I have come off two mind altering drugs at the same time Apart from the Diaz you seem to be in control of the DHC. Unless the reason you were prescribed them has passed but you still taking them then you neeed to stop. Trust...1-2 30mgs a day every 4/6 is as prescribed so I dont think you are at the point of heavy addiction. I am not a doc but i disagree with you GP as I go by experience. You shud also be cutting down on the DHC now aswell. I am use to advising people that are taking 3-600mg DHC a day even more. Infact if it was the DHC you were whinning off 2mg of Diaz helps tontake the edge off, 

So my advice is to stick with the Diaz program you are on but also reduce the DHC now incase you beat the Diaz then find the DHC has gone up. So if you are taking more then  3 30mg DHC i say start 1-1-1, so morning, noon and night. Then if you feel comfortable the week after  it 1- .5-1. Then 1-.5-.5.....then -5-.5-.5......then .5-0-.5......5-0-0......5......ZERO!!! Its can be reduced less then a week if you feel you can do it and you dt have to follow it as i say. If you feelo you dont need the .5 (half) at noon then dont take it. If you feel any WD coming on just think iof it as flu butv a bit worst so take para/ibuprofen for the aches if you have any and take bath or shower for any cold sweats and watch shows on tv that will make you laugh. I also advise others to substitute the DHC for coca cola ice cream or candy. Just remember the DHC is doing nothing good for you and it  (opiates) have taken people from manshion to the streets when it really gets a hold of them.

Hope ive helped....good luck

• Posted

HI there. Thank you so much for taking the time to give me such a comprehensive and helpful reply. I intend to follow your advice because you clearly know what you are talking about and what you say makes so much sense. My GP is OK but with all due respect, he doesn't have the knowhow that you obviously do. I know the DHC is not doing me any good now and I just want this junk out of my system and to get my life back. I have very poor appetite at the moment but I have to say, your suggestion of ice cream or candy as a substitute for DHC is very appealing!

Once again, Thank You for this. You definitely have helped me and I really appreciate this.

Best Wishes.

• Posted

Yep....all due respect to your GP that's why I say i may not be a Doctor but I have what alot of them don't have and that is being addicted to the same meds they prescribe saying "do not take for more then 3 days" yet they give enough to last a month. We all have different tendencies when it comes to being addicted to certain things. Some are addicted to shopping which is not a problem until it becomes a problem. I can never understand why GPs prescribe opiate based meds when NSAIDs work just as well but are not addictive. That buzz your first get when you first take codeine, tramadol or DHC may be sickening to some but appealing to others. We fall in the "appealing" group. And it is a buzz that we will keep on chasing by taking more and more....which once again, is not a problem until it becomes one. 

So, if any one out there is taking them with the excuse that they help with pain my advice is "THEY MIGHT NOT KILL YOU....BUT THEY WILL TAKE YOUR LIFE"!!!!

• Posted

So true. I cant take NSAIDs because of ulcers but Im sure there must be non-addictive alternatives. Folk like us just cant touch this stuff can we? Im 24 years sober from alcohol but I still consider myself an alcoholic & always will be. I am so very grateful that my current issues with Diaz & DHC have not reactivated my drinking but Im aware of the risk & remind myself daily. Thanks again & best wishes to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.