Ulcer in antrum and duodenal & esophagitis

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I had an endoscopy 3 months ago and showed ulcers in antrum & duodenal and grade b esophagitis caused by excessive acid production (not Zollinger–Ellison syndrome thankfully) and not by h pylori. I was placed on 40 mg ppi once a day for 3 months and now i am tapper off it directed by the doctor by taking the ppi once every other day and zantac the in between days. I have been avoiding fried, greasy foods and alcohol, exercise frequently, drink plenty of water but I still get burning sensation sometimes when my stomach is empty. I asked my gastro doc if i can take DGL, mastic gum, slippery elm etc he said no because i am young and does not want my body to get used them (23 years old btw). I am worried on why over 3 months the ulcers have not healed when it should take like 2 months at max to heal. I am due back in another 3 months when i stopped acid blocker medicine for a repeat endoscopy to see if the ulcers healed with normal tissue. Any suggestions or tips?

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Oh you poor poppet,   you are so young to be suffering like this.     When it is the likes of my nearly 70 it goes with the territory I think but you,  this should not be happening to you.     

Unfortunately I have not got anything concrete to tell you that will help but just rest assured that you are not alone and someone will reply soon.

• Posted

Most interesting…..You and your doctor know the 3 products are not habit forming…I’ll give you my take…give me yours…

Mine: Dr. knowing the SE and DGL are both beneficial at reducing irritations, thinks you will continue bad diet (food/drink intake) once discomforts are not present.

And/or, Dr. thinks “youth, is wasted on the young”?

And you are "savy"...healings should have been taking place....if the proper diagositcs were performed to rule out an autoimmunity implication. The upper ulcerations are usually caused by NSAID;'s. The lower...too many to list. And was HPylori ruled out via "biopsy"?

• Posted

Hi,

The doc said he wants my body to heal naturally even though I know SE and DGL are harmless and the body does not get dependent on them like PPI. Yes, I had multiple biopsy to rule out zollinger-syndrome, h pylori, cancer during my first endoscopy. I rarely ever taken any NSAID so idk how this occured. I believe it can be bad living habits such as eating bad food, drinking insane amount of alcohol in college as every other college kid, etc etc but knows. As far as the autoimmune diseases go I dont have any (get regular blood tests every year), maybe crohn's disease is the only one that I can think of that can cause ulcers?

• Posted

sorry Vergil, "wants my body to heal naturally" and prescribes PPI's...the two don't match. When you have an insult to your body, it needs to be removed...just like a simple wood splinter...inflammation responds...anti inflammation only starts when the splinter is removed along with any toxin.

If, your ulcers were caused by diet and drink, the insult has been removed...why hasn't phase two...anti inflammatory response taken place? Even after 3 months of treatments? And your good protocol of diet and drink?

The cause of an autoimmune condition is "unknown"...we do know there are two phases...M1 is the inflammatory immune response..M2 is the anti inflammatory response...when inflammation continues...It's "suspected" M1 is stuck in this phase..thus a corticosteriod is often presecribed...an anti inflammatory..a substitute for M2.

You have 4 cases of errosive gastritis (inflammed stomach lining with ulcers).resolved with prednisolone within 2 weeks at St. Mathewes Hosptial when all other medical treatments failed. I don't suggest your conditon is an autoimmune condition...

• Posted

Nick just chimed in.......3 months is "far" too long for a follow up, and after 3 months and no improvement with 40 mg of ppi's?

You  need to evaluate what's in your best interest and then "baby step" into alternatives.  or see a new dr.

• Posted

Hi,

I had a follow up like two weeks ago thats when I started the PPI tapper maybe I wasn't clear. Also there is improvement, lots of improvement I was saying sometimes I still get burning sensation it is not as frequent as it used to be and is not as strong either it's very mild. My issue is why isn't it completely gone after 3 months when most ulcers heal after 8 to 12 weeks.

• Posted

Healing naturally takes time and takes care...improvements are extremely important...for asimple "tips"...occasional burnings "could be" an open ulcer yet....try a bismuth tablet...a lozenge...during or when you experience this sensation. Its what was originally used to heal peptic ulcer caused by HPylori...the normal stomach PH is 1.2PH...the stomach lining is protected from this very lowPH by mucus or mucins...when there is inflammation/ulerations. the low gastric acids can "irritate"...your suggested use of dgl and or slippery elm was exactly what protects the ulcer/lining from low acids...but when your on 40 mg of PPI's...raises the PH to 3 to 4PH...gastric acids should not be as irritative. I would prefer you use either dgl or slippery elm.

Nick does not use the same weening process...uses 20 mg daily then every other day using bismuth between...and usually terminates everything within a few weeks....fermentable foods if tolerable helps too. uses dgi or slippery elm ..either pre or post meals. These are merely "bridges" to natural healings...personally I like to hear doctors talking about "natural".most do not consider this in their vocabularly....and, once your condition is 100%, take baby steps back to a good normal diet without reaching for alcohol even when tempted for a good deal of time...the last thing you want is a replay....Ann

• Posted

You are assuming that the burning is caused by the ulcers. The ulcers could have healed and the burning could be good old fashioned reflux or just that you ate or drank something that day which triggered it off. The endscopy will confirm if you have healed and the burning is something else.

I take a 30mg PPI, have done for almost 10yrs now and even I get days when the pain appears, usually its my fault. Its interesting that the dr wants you off the PPI, mine is the opposite and for me they are a life changer so I won't be giving them up anytime soon, as they elimintae the pain I suffered daily.

• Posted

Thats good hear wknight. That's better than something drastic like surgery, glad you are doing good. 
    • Posted

Thanks ann. I will look into bismuth and run it passed my doctor, appreciate the input. I quit alcohol for life btw smile.
    • Posted

How long do you think its safe to take bismuth please? What do you two think about Zinc carsonine for ulcers? Thanks.
    • Posted

Hi Rex,

got up late this am 5 30 usually today 6 30am..tons of e mails requiring replies...re Bismuth..lozenge vs liquid...the lozenge formulation in the us (produced in Mexico) is 262 mg of B S. I am for weening every supplement. Don Claudio used 262 mg for a year...for a Hiatal Hernia...not for ulcerations. For Gastritis w/o ulcers we used 1/2 of a tab (131mg) pre 3 meals) and 262mg pre bedtime...a daily max total of 655 mg. If more than 3 meals then we reduced the lozenge to 1/4...our thought was to keep the mg below 600mg intake daily but we did exceed it by 55mg without any adverse effects. For HelicoPylori along with 2 antibiotics and 20mg of PPI x 2 we used 262 x 3  (2 x with antibiotics and 1 pre bedtime). we have not used bismuth for errosive gastritis (stomach ulcers) but the science liturature shows efficacy when in combination with medications. Duration varies based on dosage...a complex variation...toxic effects  long term has only been studied with meese...and not to be confused with the toxic outbreak in France as this was a different bismuth compound. My take would be to use no more than 600 mg not to exceed 10 days unless 1, adverse side effects or 2, major improvement..then ween over a 2 week period.

(these are "guess estimates...there are no in vivo studies")

Zinc C...excellent mucosal damage "preventive" and healing qualities in the small bowell. May be benefical with ulcers but I cannot find a study. I would "think" much would depend on "cause" of the ulcers...bacteria, trauma, NSAID's, Alcohol etc....even what's called autoimmune where only corticosteriods resolved the ulcers.

In summary, both are good supplements...and should be weened like initially stated...we all differ widely...being cautious even when there is adequate evidence of benefit of a product is best.

• Posted

Like many others I found DGL really helped with tapering off. I beleive its best not to rxceed 6 tablets a day. The longer you are on PPI's the harder it is to get off them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.