Generic name: Tramadol what do you know?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have just been prescribed 50 mgs Tramadol every 6 hours as needed for pain. I have read that this is not a narcotic but mimics one. Anybody have any experience/advice concerning this drug?

It has been quite effective so far but I think I will need some adjustments with dosage.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Thanks mrsmop I will take a look.
  • Posted

Hi Sally. I've been taking tramadol for approx 6 years now. I've found it really effective especially when taking the slow release version. I have successfully weaned myself off at one stage and i have to say it was one of the more difficult things I've had to do. The withdrawal symptoms are really quite vile and start within 12 hours of missing a dose. As with opiods there is sweating, shaking, chills, diarrhoea, and for me what I call "head flashes" it's like intense vertigo that lasts less than a second, but sends me reeling. It's brought on by sudden movement, even movement of the eys can set it off. It took me a period of 8 weeks to slowly taper my dosage down to 50mg per day (I was on slow release 200mg twice a day to start) It was much like having a bad case of the Flu, as soon as I stopped feeling bad I reduced the dosage again. It was worth it, just to prove to myself that I could stop using it if I wanted/needed to. I've heard heroin addicts say tramadol withdrawal is even worse than heroin withdrawal! I don't have the experience to verify this but knowing what it is like I can't imagine anything much harder to do. For me it was a waste of a summer as I ended up back on them within 3 months of me tapering off them! Damn chronic illnesses!!! I think tramadol is very good for short term use if taking the NONE slow release kind. But, taking it for a long period of time will definitely increase the chances of withdrawal as will taking the slow release version. 

I also found (because of the head flashes mainly) that it is made from chemicals that are the same or that mimic anti depressants. It does make you feel content and happy while taking it, I think that helps us manage pain better and makes us less likely to get sucked into the blackhole of depression that comes alongside  chronic conditions.

Do watch out for constipation (A nurse told me it doesn't affect the bowels, but she obviously had never taken it herself or had to deal with impaction caused by tramadol on her wards!) eat plenty of fruit and lots of water to combat this, even then you may need something to soften things up. There can be some nasty side effects for some people too, so keep an eye on yourself and if you feel anxious, suicidal, or very depressed or manic see a Dr asap.

Best of luck to you! I hope my experiences have helped a little

Sarah

• Posted

Sarah,

Thank you so much for taking the time to describe your experiences with this medication. I have noticed the benefits of Tramadol and the side effects I find it interesting that your conclusion after weaning off was that the drug was still needed. I am sorry you had to suffer so much during your process. I have noticed a definite improvement in the quality of my days with this medication and I have been sleeping better. I am taking one 50mg tab twice a day. I know it is helping me but I have read so many negative reviews It leaves me anxious.Thanks again for your honest words it is a great help to me.

Sally

• Posted

You are most welcome Sally. I hope it gives you no nasty side effects. I'm glad it's effective for you too, some folk really struggle with it. Best of luck to you 

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.