PF progress

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had PF for about week now

I took the tape off today

I'm going back to doc next Monday

For shots in foot

I bought some Kuru shoes there suppose to form to your foot

So I'm hoping with the combination of these two things I can get back to work more active

I'm a carpet layer and carrying carpet is s big problem now

Pain in down to about a 3 out of 10 threshold still annoying though

But laying down there's no more nagging pain

Just walking is a hassle still

Hopefully the shots and shoes work

If not a special insole made by him at 450 a pop for insoles

What a hassle

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

i had PF for 4 months and gave up on the docs as nothing seemed to work... did the stretches; got the insoles at 450 a pop (made it worse)... was told by lots of doctors NOT to have the shots as they can make the tendons and ligaments worse...

In the end, froze 2 of those freeze wraps that go round champagne bottles, sat there all day with them over my feet and next morning it was gone. Suggest you try the same - serious - i mean serious - icing seems ot kill the inflammation,  

THEN there is the questionas to what caused the inflammation in the first place to prevent it happening... seems to be 2 trains of thoughts a) feet a bit funny (high arches etc)  I tried the insoles for this and occasionally intermittently wear them but having tried for 2 months solid i dontreally think they helped me. What seemed t help me was Sketchers Go Walk shoes which are soft underneath (and i think they must help others too as their turnover has doubled last year as a company) and b) Diet... certain things seem to cause inflammation. Didnt want to end up with more serious arthritis so for 12 weeks ate only fruit veg nuts seeds fish.It was easy after the first 10 days. First week was a killer to give up wheat and dairy.   Afer 12 weeks started to reintroduce stuff and see if it made a difference. Now eat very little wheat or dairy but do occasionally; have lost 9 kilos, look tons better, feel great, and feet are now happt again.   Not sure if this was necessary or not (the food thing) but my diet now seems to be remarkably similar to Novak Djokovich and he swears by it and my bloke thinks i look a trillion times more wonderful so seems to have worked for me.  So i kind of think the wheat or dairy causes the inflammation (as opposed to the arches etc) and the ice helps get rid of the inflammation. 

I'd take care on the jabs as there seems conflicting views on them - i'd only try them if all else fails. most quacks dont seem to do the jabs in the feet as they fret about them.  try the ice and diet - worked wonders for me. Might for you and nothung to lose by trying.

• Posted

I know what caused mine laying carpet for 40 years and working my ass off

I also am a veteran and injured my ankle on the same foot I'm having the problem with in the damn army

It never did heal properly

I'll stick with the doc for now since the taping helped

But will try some of your suggestions

If these shoes and shots go south and the pain returns

Thanks for the suggestions

• Posted

Ben57424,

I gotta tell you...those shots are a bitch and rarely work. Just FYI.... ladyjack51

• Posted

Well I'm limited to what else to do

I got my new Kuru shoes

They feel pretty good and give good arch support

I'll stick to my plan shots and these shoes

See if if they work

If not I'll look for alternative options

• Posted

Of course....but have you read more of the postings here under PF? I have only ever heard of 2 cases where they actually helped. I have had PF for about 2 and 1/2 yrs now so I've been researching a long time. I first got it in both heels...just woke up 1 day with it. I had never heard of such a horrible disease until I started reading and was amazed at how common it is...but no one seems to ever talk about it I guess. I rolled both heels on a frozen plastic bottle and it went away immediately in my right foot...never to return as of yet. But my left leg has lymphoedema, and is swollen huge and has issues so sadly I have had it all this time in that left heel. It left once when I was hospitalized for 6 days for something else and I guess being truly off of it is the best thing. But it came back after being discharged in that left heel, but not quite as bad. It truly is awful..different things work for different folks and every foot problem is not true PF but gets diagnosed as such. I hope whatever you try works...please keepe posted. Ladyjack51
    • Posted

not agree more... most doctors refuse to give the shots as they have equal chance of harming the tendon.... 

You have lots of options but sound a bit defeatist... the shots are to lower the inflammation but there are other things you could try first.... whilst the carpet fitting cant have helped, it is unlikely to have caused PF... otherwise you would have got it before now and all carpet fitters would have it... something triggered it - more likely the way you walk over time due to prior injury etc. (Mine commenced after broken ankle). 

There are things you can do though and it woudl be a shame if you did not try them to heal yourself, as otherwise likely to come back...

1. Serious ice seems to help a lot of people - i mean serious icing to lower the inflammation. 

2. Swimming - this is really helpful. KNow it dreadfully dull but if you determine to learn to do itproperly e.g. look at Ryan Lochte on Facebook and determine to improve your technique e.g. i decided to get to taking 2 strokes off per length within a month... i.e. have a target, then this is really brilliant at all these tendon and ligament things. (If you get PF, you are likely to get inflammation of tendon /ligaments elsewhere too e.g. in Achiles Tendon or shoulder etc).  I try and swim every other day now as really helps.

3. Diet. Cut out things which might not help e.g. Wheat or Nightshade veggies. Increase fruit, veg, nuts, seeds, Fish. See whether you feel better. WHatever, every pound you lose is less on your feet (by factor of 10 due to pressure exerted).  You can have a food test to see if there is something which is causing inflammation. KNow this sounds daft but Novak Djokovic only started winning when he had the test and sorted out his diet and that sorted out his feet...

4. Dirnk at least 2l of water a day - the body will try and heal your PF but it needs rest, ice, water, vits to rebuild cells. SOme swear by CLO tablets and other things too and there seems to be some clinical evidence for CLO (but not much for other things, but some swear by Chondriotin etc, but my Doc said there was no clinical evidence for latter yet but there was for CLO).

5. See a Physio.. they give you exercises where you sit up with your legs out in front of you straight. Do not move your knee or heel - the latter should be on ground. Twist your toes in 3 sets x10 and then out same. This strengthens the ligs along the arch and betwen tibia and fib. I do this with a pilates band attached to something (or the other foot) to provide resistance to strengthen further. No harm in this and not much else strengthens these ligament / tendons.   The physio will also have you strngthening your core tummy muscles and glutes (your bum), so that when you alk, about 1/3rd of the weight is really from the hips; then heel, then through to big toe. Walking properly with the correct gait takes a bit of learning but i have re-learned and now its second nature. Orthotics are meant to do this without you thinking but they dont really work in many cases; do not correct what is wrong and you'll probably end up with somethign else hurting. 

The shoes really help (in my view).  The orthotics didnt help me particularly compared to the softy cushty shoes combined with getting much fitter. I just decided i didnt want all these aches and pains and determined to sort my body out with swimming, diet, cushty shoes, physio rather than starting on a downward spiral of relying on doctors and jabs without sorting out the underlying issues causing the pain.  I did try the doctors stuff and paid >£400 for orthotics from the guy who looks after a premiership footbal club; went to top rheumatologist in UK; got physio from girl who looked after Team GB at Olympics... but in my humble opinion, the docs can only do so much - just determine to sort your health out as PF is a warning shot of worse to come... water, diet, swim, cushty shoes, exercise, strengthen your core to walk properly... etc etc all these will make you better and feel tons healthier and none can harm you... 

• Posted

I think you meant your posting for Ben...but he should see it anyway...lol
    • Posted

I wake every morning with the pain

Then goes away after walking

But still a bit sore walking around

More annoying then anything

It's a lot better then it was

I think I got this because of the bad ankle

It usually is sore it's gotten worse over the years

I guess I'll wear these shoes do the shots start some excersizes

Though you think laying carpet I'd get plenty of excersizes perhaps not the right ones

Thanks

• Posted

given that you seem to be getting better then if i was you, i'd try seriously icing it and see if it disappears. That way you might not need the shots. You could always delay the shots a couple of weeks and see if you can get it right without them,,, 

Loads of top doctors against the shots as they can damage the tendon and lig permanently and are pretty painful to boot.  I;d try everything else first - they should be last resort.   Hey its Sat night, stick your foot up stick on a sock and then seriously keep ice all over it for the next hour as cold as yu can bear. 

Might be gone in the morning then you wont need the dodgy shots.

The shots are only recommended (or should be) as a last resort pre surgery. You seem to be getting better; I'd try keep clear of them as equal chance of harm.

GIve the ice  a go - you have nothing to lose 

• Posted

I'll ice it over weekend

Thanks I'm sure shots are not pleasant

Plus it's 250 to see this guy

I'm a vet and they cover me but their slow going to vet hospital

So saw a private guy

Thanks

• Posted

I just have to say...it doesn't sound like you have true PF....it doesn't normally get better with walking and it doesn't sound like it's in your heels...however you may still have an issue with your arches or the Plantar Fascia muscle. And if it gets better walking I totally agree with Sparkle...geez..most of us pray for that!!! To be able to walk without pain would be amazing. If it tightens up when not walking I would think you need some serious stretching treats and exercises...please keep us posted!
    • Posted

Doc took a pic of it

I saw the inflammation in the tendon

According to him it's PF

The pain is right in front of the heal

These Kuru shoes seem to help

But it's still a light ache in that area

Hurts when I first wake up and walk

Gets a little better when walking

Icing helps but comes back when the icing has worn off

Yeah I'll get the proper stretches from

him tomorrow when I see him

I'm going for the shot I have to work

I'll let everyone know if they work

I think this is a combination of laying carpet for 40 years and that bad ankle

I'm pretty beat up at 62 next month

Thanks for the suggestions

• Posted

Sounds like PF to me... the classic symptoms of PF are a) pain in middle of foot underneath, at front of heel (where the plantar tendon joins onto the heel bone) b) stiff 1st thing and eases with walking around (as tendon stretches).  These are the 2 classic signs of PF.  The shots are meant to lower the inflammation but they are not seeking to address the underlying cause of why it has now triggered. 

• Posted

Not sure could be from picking up carpet

And just laying carpet in general

Maybe just years of this caught up with me and triggered PF

Since it's the foot with the bad ankle

I'm thinking tendons in ankle are contributing to this

Carpet laying in brutal especially at almost 62

Though I supervise more now

I still get down there and work

Take it day by day , do the shots and maybe special insoles

What I read it's tears in tendon and need time to heal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.