10 weeks post op... and still so much swelling to one foot the other one is good.

Posted , 4 users are following.

nearly ten weeks and still swelling daily,, i wake up with such a positive start and then after twenty mins my foot is swollen, tight, and stings, wounds are clear so no infection, but the tightness under the toe is painful still, i think i am expecting too much, i am not going out only pottering around the house with rests inbetween because its painful... should it still be like this at nearly ten weeks, my gp and hospital are not very helpful x

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gillie, Yes, it takes a long time for the selling to go down. Every week gets slightly better than the last but the progress is so slow it seems negligible. I found it helpful to pace my activities according to the level of swelling. It's important not to overdo do it or underdo it for that matter. I elevated my foot and massaged it to get the circulation going. Unfortunately, we want to be able to get back to our regular activities as soon as possible but the healing is always slower than hoped for. I remember when I had my first foot done last year  - I'm now in my 4th week on my second - I had to exercise the MOST patience at the 6 to 12 week period because the progress seemed super slow. I also did regular physio sessions to help get things moving and regain flexibility.

I read that it takes a year for the foot to be fully normal again so from that perspective, 10 weeks is still early days. Hope that's not too discouraging. Only my experience first time round smile

• Posted

hi melanie, thank you so much for reply x i have found your message very reassuring as sometimes i start to think is all ok... all what you have said is what i am going through... unfortunately my hospital has not given me any advice or help with physio, i have just had to get on with it, if it was not for this site i dont know what i would be thinking, i am just pottering around my home, but also having sit downs as its too painful and i also find it so tiring too... i do hope maybe in the next month or so i feel abit better... i suppose it does not help so wanting to be out again..... your words 10 weeks is still early days has made me smile thank you as your so right... alot of healing still has to be done before i am anyway near recovery, i had the two done together melanie because i know i would not go back for the second one... lol  i do also wish you well and a speedy recovery too x
  • Posted

Hello there, I had a double bunionecotomy and hammer toe

straightening in October last year so know what you are going

through.

I was in plaster casts for the first 6 weeks with instructions not

to be on my feet for the first 2 weeks unless too visit the

bathroom..I wish....I had my casts redone after 2 weeks and wastold not to stand for more than 15 minutes per hour and to returnat 6 weeks to have casts removed.

Surgeon said it would be up to a year before the feet would settle

down and to wear comfortable shoes that were wide fitting, I'd

taken a pair of shoes with me to wear home and on route

stopped off to buy toe spacers he'd recommended me to get.

In fact I was looking forward to getting out for a stroll. I coundn't believe it with in a few minutes of walking my feet were so sore and swollen I just wanted to get back to the car... Hence I wore my surgical shoes until week 13 as they were the only footwear

my feet felt comfy in.

I went on holiday in May, 7 months post OP, and my feet were

very swollen after a day on them.

So everything that you described is quite normal and I suppose

if you think about it going from being on your feet for a minimal

amount of time daily to thinking we can run a marathon... well...

is a bit ambitious.

Take your time it really is early days and in reality all your

weight bares down on them and they have taken quite a

bettering. Rest when you need to and still elevate it is slow but

you will get there.

• Posted

hi misskh... arrrr bless you x thanks for your reply, when i read other peoples stories i do feel so much better and it does reassure me that what i am going through is normal... yes i guess it is so early days for me and as you say they have taken a battering with the surgery,... i am still off work but to be honest i dont care how long i am off my health comes first... and i will continue to elevate as much as possible, can i just ask you i am due to go to spain on the 11th August for two weeks i am not planning to walk much at all, i dont like the heat so i will not be doing much at all only resting, can i ask was your feet ok with the flight ? i have four weeks till i go but i am getting quite anxious about the flight... many thanks x
    • Posted

Hi gillee.... my feet seemed to cope ok with the flight, for the life of me I can't remember if it was Corfu or Tenerife, but it wasn't

far. It was a Cruise that I went on so once we docked it was off

and out for the day. Bit of toe wiggling during the flight and you

should be ok.

just wondered if you were on Facebook as someone on here

recommended a bunion group on there which I joined and

it was also a god send.

• Posted

Hi misskh, thanks for that advice it does so help... yes i have seen that on facebook i think it said I Survived a Bunion ???  the medical word... i will have another look, my flight is only short i think about two half hours its only spain, i was due to go to India but its an 11 hour flight, so i have rebooked for xmas 2016 when the feet should be in working order, thanks again for replying very much appreciated x
    • Posted

Yes gillee, it's called I survived a bunionecotomy. Very active

group with lots of help and advice.

• Posted

Hi Misskh. Hope you don't mind me butting In on your discussion. I had bunion and hammer toe surgery yesterday. I have a partial cast and bandages with a heel walking shoe. I have to go on Thursday for a Mitchels bootie to be fitted.They tell me this is some sort of plaster cast. I was wondering, as you had casts, if you still wear your post op shoe with them?  
    • Posted

Hello... I was in casts from when I had my OP done...walked

out of hospital with the aid of crutches... it was last year now.

Although I did walk about more than I should have I always wore

my surgical shoes...even to go to the toilet in the dead of night.

Am I right on thinking that you put a post on a Facebook bunion

forum earlier today? If so I'm also on there and could post a pic

of my feet in casts and my surgical shoes, so much easier on FB

as I'm in the UK and not sure what a Mitchels bootie is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.