Does venlafaxine make you feel numb with no motivation?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

Am on 225mg of venlafaxine and feel numb with no motivation is this normal?

Am going back to work in 6 weeks and am concerned about the venlafaxine.

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I too am on 225mg of venlafaxine, numb all over, no motivation. I have no clue what is " normal " anymore. I am retired but would never be able to work again. My biggest problem is when two different doctors attempt to put me on meds for different reasons and it seems to kickstart negative results with me. I was on 150mg venlafaxine when a weight loss doctor at the same medical center put me on some med I cannot remember but nicknamed " Dupe-a-low". Already had anger problems but geared down with venlafaxine, then with the new stuff got much worse, nearly arrested etc...Stopped the "dupe" stuff , jacked the vennie to 225 mg. I am going back in the center for full exam. Even my vision has gone goofy. ...Now for you, work full might be too much at first. Can you possibly have role acting tests ? By that I mean whatever you work is can you role act what you do and have somebdoy role act your boss as a test ? ...Motivation...vennie has put about more pounds on me. So in simple terms, life sucks. however I try to face each day and night with the idea I am needed yet. Good luck.  
    • Posted

Hi Bill

You too, is rotten Isn't, thought it was just me. Am going to call my doc on Monday to see what he says. Am going to work on a phased return, so won't be full time initially. Does the venlafaxine help your depression?

• Posted

If venlafaxine does help and I thnk it does some, glad to have that help then. One MD, Ph D. S.Crin k thinks it does but have to control my triggers because what causes my depression is not going away nor is my PTSD for when I was n the service. I try not to get p*ssed when somebody gets in my space, but then it happens.   
    • Posted

Yes, venlafaxine does help. both my ander and depression is difficulat to deal with.
    • Posted

Yeah, it helps my depression too, I just thought it would be more energizing, hey ho it would be nice if there were no side effects.

• Posted

I have decided to ask doc to reduce the venlafaxine so am less numb.

People can be really annoying though, it's not always your fault. Hang in there Bill

• Posted

I am also on 225mgs of Venlafaxine and feel the same as you. Also I am totally exhauste ALL the time. Trip to the GP yielded no satisfactory answer. As tired when I get up as I am when I go to bed. Been like this for nearly two years. Told to increase my exercise gradually but as I said to the doctor, when you're exhausted you have no motivation to leave the house in the mornings to go to the gym! Like you, I am concerned about the future. Sorry not to have anything constructive to say, other than to say you're not alone!
    • Posted

Thanks Keith, am gonna phone my doc on Monday and see if I can go back on citalopram. I had no bother with citalopram. Sorry your in same boat, can you ask your doc to change?
  • Posted

Well, depression so messes u up, you don't know what's what. I took Venlafaxine 10 years ago, and still fake it, 2 x 75. For me, i perceive it as a life saver, but I'll never know what would have  happened if I'd not taken it. It took time to work. I have had no significant side effects and I would say, that largely, I'm depression free. I have smallish lapses. One never loses the fear of it coming back. Am I lucky? Who knows. I have experienced the problem of stopping taking it. I attempted slow withdrawal/tapering. From what I've seen it has to be very very slow.

im not anti drug ur prodrug. Maybe drugs work for only some people , depending on the cause of their depression.

i did supplement my recovery with exercise, CBT. Luckily I found the energy and motivation for it. Depression undermines that so much.

so my only advice about numbness and other things is do you best to not self-monitor these things, step back, treat yourself kindly, try and give yourself some mini targets for things u need to do in your daily life (even if it's as mundane and tiny as hoovering!). Reward yourself when u get it done, even if it's as simple as a cup of coffee at your favourite place. Get your attention out. For me, nature is the thing that helps

im going on."..good luck Louise.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.