numbness in Left leg any help/advise

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi

i have numbness in my left leg just under my kneecap to my ankel. and help or advise please..

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi there sorry to hear this.

I have similar symptoms. I went to the doctor and she said its sounds like a trapped nerve and gave me some medication to take but doesn't really help! I'm being Sent for and MRI on Tuesday to check my nerves in my spine. Best just to go speak to your doc.

• Posted

Only took 3 weeks for the appt then 30 minutes in the scanner. MRI was all clear which is frustrating! Still getting this tingling but now mainly on the arch of my foot.
  • Posted

Yep I also have numbness from my right knee to well my toes. I also have weakness in that leg and my right hand. I had an MRI brain spine which was normal. So doctors just said its all in my head lol. Typical response for anything they cant figure out. I am now using a walking stick. and since getting out of hospital ive had two falls due to my leg weakness. Yep im sure its all in my head NOT!!!!! I get pain under my knee cap too.

Best advice, get some testing done but dont be surprised if they dont find an  answer.

• Posted

You don't give much detail of how long you have had or if you have already sought medical attention. There are medictions that could cause it,

So far I have been to a podiatrst... no help. An orthopedic consultant ... no help and a neurologist who has taken blood tests, I also had a head MRI scan and nerve conduction tests and am awaiting results. The doctor doing the nerve conduction tests suggested a back MRI scan as he thinks it is comong from my back.    

From other replies you can see that it is a hard one to solve.

• Posted

I've also got this been like it for 2 years just over. I've got weakness and heaviness to the left leg and partially numb,the right leg is numb and also my feet are numb,and I'm also numb in the bottom area and genital area. I've had all the tests done and was even in hospital for a week all they have told me is that it must be a damaged nerve which in time should repair itself but I'm not giving that much hope. It all stems from the back and I've have problems in the past. Good luck and keep us all informed as to how u go 
    • Posted

Are you still able to walk unaided? I can get around the house OK but outside need to hang on to my wifes arm. I am pinning a lot of hope on the spinal MRI finding something that can be cured. My GP thinks that the neurologist believes that the MRI is just to prove that it is not a back problem!

I had an MRI compatible pacemaker fitted four weeks ago but it has to be in place for eight weeks before I can have the scan.  

• Posted

Hi Derek I had a full brain spinal MRI. The doctors were looking for things like Multiple sclerosis ( white shows up as small white patches on brain MRI. They also wanted to rule out stroke and inflammation around the spine. Those things were all ruled out ( thank god ). I walk around the house ok but i use a walking stick outside on uneven ground and stairs. My doctors did a blood test to check for autoimmune disorders and my ANA ESR C-RP were all elevated suggestive of Autoimmune disorder. If my levels remain high they are going to refer me to a Rheumatologist.
    • Posted

Hi Deb,

My head MRI did not show anything to account for my symptoms nor did the many blood tests but still awaiting results of the genetic ones

for hereditary motor conditions such as Charcot-Marie-Tooth that take three months to do. I doubt a genetic condition as I'm 80 and no family members ever had anything like that. Although I had slight numbness at times in my left foot for years it suddenly got much worse in just a week at the beginning of June. The week before I had been out as normal.

Do you get any lightheaded feeling when standing or walking? I had before this started and put it and the numbness down to Bisoprolol prescribed for my AF. I stopped Bisoprolol and the lightheadedness went but has returned after six weeks.

It all seems to be very common. When I went for the head MRI the two other patients were there because of numbness in feet. One was a fairly young man whose had come on quite suddenly. The other was a lady of 86 and her numb foot had caused her to fall and break a hip and sustain a head injury.That is the scenario that scares me. In my one bad fall I just broke my sunglasses and a bottle of wine I was carrying. 

• Posted

Hi Derek,

Yes i do get dizzy at times. Seems to be when i bend down and come back up. I have to do all movements very slowely. Sometimes if i look left or right very suddenly i also loose balance. I put that down to being on 4 different Medications for my blood pressure, which is still not under control. I have had 3 falls now and so many near misses. I am only 51 ! So im not expecting this to be all in my head as some doctors have suggested. I am having physio twice a week, Occupational hand therapy once a week and i feel that is helping. Ive had rails installed in my house, a security light outside my office so im not walking in the dark and we are in the process of putting in a path from the back door up to my office. These areas were assessed by the OT and deemed unsafe areas for me. I broke my camera and my glasses in falls smile. I have a very sore hip, but doctors just dismiss my pain.

• Posted

Hi Deb3313, Are you seeing a neurologist? Have you Googled the name of each medication against each symptom? One on this Forum improved after her neurologist found no cause but told her to stop  Losartan just in case. I've taken that for years but can it have suddenly had this effect on me?

When I was taking Amiodarone that did cause me loss of equilibruin almost to the stage of vertigo when making small turning movements such as when in the shower or working in the kitchen.

As it is 4.45 you can see that not sleeping is another problem. 

• Posted

My next appointment with the neurologist isnt til 13th October. I had a Lupus type reaction to hydralazine but my other meds ive been on for years. I used to have sleep issues but i take 2 clonazapam a day now. It helps heaps.
  • Posted

I get numbness in both legs below knee and also in both feet though mostly the left. I've seen a doctor who just said it was due to my back and left it at that no further help or scans. As it got worse I saw a different doctor who also said it was down to my back? and gave me a physio appontment, where an 18 year old told me a 62 year old how to be nd and touch my legs! I think if you are over 60 they are not interested in you. I still have the problem but now exercise on a mat in the morning i.e. stretch and wear long hold up support stockings.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.