Shoe cupboard hell.

Posted , 11 users are following.

has anyone had the problem six months after scarf op, that they can't get their foot into a court shoe , they used to fit me before! I just can't get the joint  into the shoes. It's  left me with a deeper  joint that's not that flexible.  I've just had a trying on session because of holiday coming up..... And only a few pairs fit. All my nice shoes I've thrown back into the cupboard  in disgust and anger. The hot weather does not help the foot.  Anyone else had the same problem?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm a year and a half after surgery and all I can wear is crocs!!
    • Posted

18months, OMG, you must be demented. What has your surgeon done about this? I do hope things improve for you, you have my sympathy x
    • Posted

My foot still swells if I wear normal shoes. And to be honest I've not been back to my surgeon. The thought of those nerve blockers is enough to put up with the crocs
  • Posted

Yes, yes, yes!

I can't flex my big toe to get into anything but old trainers and my granny sandals, double velcro fastenings. All my shoes and boots are like you, thrown in the back of the cupboard in disgust.

Upset and angry that 6 months post op I am in this condition. No one told me it could be thus. I have worries about forthcoming social events where heels are, not essential, but beneficial for posh outfits. Just today I had to purchase 29in jeans to wear with the aforementioned 2 items of footwear :-(

• Posted

Haha! It's bloody awful. I'm a teacher and the kids are sick of seeing my crocs. We joked about the huge pink ones I had three months after the op. Laughed at the smaller blue ones 8 months. But now, it's got to the point where I am excited when a new style of crocs comes out !! I've got the ones that spent look like crocs now. They are finally acceptable with the kids at school
  • Posted

hi anita.... what you have just said does not surprise me, after reading so many peoples experiences on here no two people seem to be the same, i am only ten weeks post op and the way my surgeon explained to me prior to having both my feet done at the same time, bunion removal and toe corrections that i would be up and running, driving, working after two months.... OMG ..... if only... my feet are still swollen like fat sausages every day after weight bearing, and i can not get any form of shoe on, i have tried toe post, soft ones, soft house slippers, even knitted shoes... but i cant stand the feeling on the wounds... plus they all seem to make my toes even more sensitive plus i can not bend my big toe at all... i too have an holiday booked for 11th August... but i just dont know what i am going to do, my partner says ill get you a wheelchair so you wont have to wear shoes... but i dont want to be in a wheelchair, i tried today the sock liners oneies i think they are called but omg its awful there is no support and they keep slipping off, so i really dont know what i am going to do, some people have said get wide trainers but i am not a trainer person... i have tried though but they hurt my toes.... im no spring chicken anita i am 55 and have some lovely clothes for my holiday but i feel like i dont want to go because i have no shoes... or at least something comfortable i can wear.... also as my feet are still so swollen i think ill be wearing two cereal boxes !!!! its a long journey ahead i know but i really dont think the surgeons tell you enough about the after care of this surgery.... i had to have the two done because i knew anita in later years i would not be able to walk so id rather of had it done at 55 instead of 65 !!!!  lets hope we can find something in time... x
    • Posted

Get yourself crocs!! I wore size 11 crocs on my bunion foot for 3 months ( I'm size 6) You may look ridiculous but at least you can get out.
    • Posted

i have just read other peoples replies.... ohooooo poor things x as for the crocs ohoooo they are my worse nightmare... just like cereal boxes but as this lady has just mentioned them i do have a pair that i might try... i bought them when i had the bunions i was out and my feet really hurt so straight in the shops for wide shoes... crocs were the only ones looking at me... but like that lady i got so much stick wearing them lol... i even got called wife of shrek !!!! lol... but i dont worry i just want some comfort... x
    • Posted

Haha!! You become immune to having the mick taken out of you. It makes you a stronger person - just look at it that way 😉
    • Posted

lol..... totally agree with you.... at least its a talking point !!! and yes it does make you stronger because if anyone says anything about feet while i am on holiday next month... ill find the strength to give someone a kicking lol x
  • Posted

Hi Anita,

I am 14 months post-op and still struggle terribly to get into any shoes. My left foot which was the one they operated on is still bigger than my right foot. I don't know what they could do for me if I went back to my surgeon. I was supposed to have had the hammertoe on the same foot done at the same time, but they didn't bother, so no point in going to see my surgeon, anyway I now live in Portugal. I have just bought myself another pair of BIRKENSTOCKS as they are probably the best footwear for me at present. The heat at times make my feet swell up...! It's so frustrating when you want to dress up and wear a decent pair of shoes. I suppose the next step for me is to lose some weight as I'm sure that will help in the long term.

• Posted

I walked out of the surgeon's office at the 6 week mark wearing the same post op boot minus the bandage because my foot was way too raw to fit into anything. After a few days I was able to get into my old birkenstocks - the kind with the one strap across which I adjusted to make room so the scar wasn't rubbing against it. After 3 and 1/2 months, I discovered Go Walk by Sketchers and purchased a pair. My feet felt heavenly, like being on a cloud. I wore my toe spacer with them to maintain proper alignment and was able to go for walks comfortably. I ended up buying several other pairs in different colours. They've been a lifesaver while my foot healed and got stronger and more flexible. I'm now into my 5th week with my other foot so my Sketchers  are waiting for me as soon as I'm fully mobile again. As for my lovely pumps and fancier shoes, I'm in the same boat as the other ladies who posted about their closet full of shoes they can't wear (yet!! - I'm hopeful) In the meantime, I'm planning a big shopping day down the road in search of pretty new shoes for my pretty new feet. Nothing is as hard as trying to find shoes when you have big bunionssmile
  • Posted

Yes, none of my shoes are wide enough.. My foot seems to have splayed flat, into a different shape to my other foot entirely. I still have swelling as well and my bungion has returned.. But that's another story ! 
  • Posted

Hi  Anita

i feel so sorry for you and all of you who are suffering as a result of bunion removal.

I must be very lucky.  Five weeks after double op bandages still on. Two days after my op, I was able to do everything except drive.  Bandages off in another week then hoping to be able to drive.  I have had no swelling at all, feet seem perfect.  I know that I have scews in feet which must heal.

I do feet excesise daily to keep feet supple, and when I have time to rest to put my feet up.

I hire a mobility scooter to wiz a round town. 

Went back to my charity shop job one day a week, after 3 week post op.

mastered getting in and out of bath without getting feet wet. 

Will be wearing my fit flops hopefully soon.

Hope you get better soon, keep your chin up.

• Posted

hi lauren.... thats fantastic and it is nice to hear that this op is not all doom and gloom.... ohooooo i wish mine was like that, i can honestly say this has been one of the most painful times of my live... i really dont think i would of had it done had i had some insight to how this has made me feel.... however i do appauld you x you are doing brilliant keep up the good work... and heres to happy and even happier feet xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.