Need Advice from those who have weaned off Diazepam successfully.

Posted , 4 users are following.

My daughter has been on 2mg of Diazepam 3 times a day for about 3 years and I really want to take her off of it.  She has Autism, Intellectual disabilities and a seizure disorder.  This stuff is only causing her to have awful anxiety and sometimes panic attacks. What is the best way to wean her off of them? 

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Grace

Anyone wanting to stop taking Diazapem needs to taper off. You need a reduction programme. I think you should see your daughter's GP to sort this out. This is especially important as you mention she has a seizure disorder and withdrawing from Diazepam can cause seizures. I think medical advice is essential here. Best wishes.

• Posted

We are getting advice from her GP but he wants to do it pretty fast and I don't because I know that she will have withdrawals, I want to do it very slow. Thanks you
    • Posted

Hello again Grace

Clearly you are more informed than your GP. I am not a doctor but I know from experience that withdrawal should be gradual. Dont be bullied into a quick taper. Is there another doctor in the practice you can see who may be better informed? If not, I would tell your doctor that, with respect, you would like your daughter to have a slow withdrawal. Personally I would cut a 2ml in half & then cut the half into a quarter and reduce that way every 2 weeks. You can obtain pill cutting devices from your chemist exactly for that purpose. OK, it's going to take time but what does that matter if it means your daughter has as comfortable a weaning off experience as possible? Good Luck & Best Wishes

• Posted

Thank you Jan, that was one of the plans I had, either that or have him change it to oral liquid solution and then do it even slower but I'm not sure if that change will be good for her.  We plan on putting her on CBD which is a low TCH Cannabis product and just taker her off the 2 meds she's on but it won't be available here in FL till the end of this year or next year and from what I have read, Diazepam will intereact with the CBD and that could be a problem for us.  Thank you again!
  • Posted

i repost this from the other thread

i'd suggest over about 15 weeks,

draw out a chart and write down as you go along or if it needs adjusting, it goes without saying that if at any time your daughter gets any worrying symptons dont faff about go to the A&E or call 999 without hesitation.

first four weeks

6, 6, 6, 4, 6, 6, 4     6, 6, 4, 6, 4, 6, 4     6, 4, 6, 4, 6, 4, 4     6, 4, 4, 6, 4, 4, 4          see how your doing at this point

the next drop is only 25% so you can do it over 3 weeks

4, 4. 4. 3, 4, 4, 3     4, 4. 3. 3, 4, 3, 3.   4, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3     

the last 3 mgs i would do 4 weeks each

3, 3, 3 ,2, 3, 3, 2     3, 3, 2 ,3, 2, 3, 2     3, 2, 3, 2, 3, 2, 2     3, 2, 2, 3, 2, 2, 2

2, 2, 2, 1, 2, 2, 1     2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2

1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1     2, 1, 1, 2, 1, 1, 1

1, 1, 1, 0, 1, 1, 0     1, 0, 1, 0, 1, 0, 1

0, 1, 0, 1, 0, 1, 0     1, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.