Return of achalasia symptons after surgery and what to do next?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a hellers myotomy  and partial fundoplication in October 2013. My swollowing improved but didn't completely get better. About 15 months after the surgery the achalasia symptons started to increase again. They weren't consistent because sometimes I can eat a variety of foods and other times can't even swollow liquids without them coming back. I've had investigation test again which show there is a narrowing just going into the stomach. This year I've had 3 stretches via endoscopy and going for my fourth on Wednesday. They have give me partial relief.  What is different now for me is that food is getting stuck and I can't shift it , in May I ended up having to go to theatre to remove  a  blockage that had been their for over 48 hours causing me to become dehydrated. I've lost nearly two stone in two months.

i have a fantastic surgeon / doctor who is really understanding but I don't know what to next , do go on having a stretch every six weeks ? Or look at having surgery again to loosen the partial fundoplication ? 

Has anyone experienced the above ? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It is not uncommon for fundoplications to need to be adjusted; the extent of how much of the circumference is involved in the original 'wrap' is a matter of surgical judgement, and it is not always possible to get this right first time.   The prospect of having  repeated stretches is not a good one, partly because it will tend to close off better surgical options.  

I am sorry that it did not work better and longer for you first time, but the best thing is to trust the judgement of the experienced surgeon about the next best step for you;  it is not unusual, and the surgery can normally be revised OK.

• Posted

I agree about checking on the fundoplication with your surgeon.  Also, have you considered the POEM surgery?  I would check with your surgeon (or a POEM surgeon if your current surgeon doesn't perform this surgery) to see if that's a option that could help you.
  • Posted

Hi

I too had the exact same op in Ocxtober 2013 and I also had a worsening of my symptoms. I had a dilation under GA in May 2015 which did not make the slightest bit of difference. I have also found swallowing is a little beter since the original op and I have found a variety of foods I cannot swallow easily. I find the chunkier the food such a vegetables the easier it is to swallow but I really suffer with foods such as rice, pasta, crisps etc. All these foods seem to block me up. I now eat all meals with a hot drink such as tea which helps a lot. I saw my surgeon last week and we discussed the options. A previous barium swallow showed I still had a few muscle fibres which were causing the problem I am still experiencing but second or third time around it is a much more difficult operation as the surgeon has to undo the wrap and then cut through a lot of potential scar tissue from the first op. This increases the risk of perforation of the oesophagus which is not without its problems.  However there is not much else left. I am having a repeat barium swallow next week which I am sure will show a worsening of the narrow point at my oesophageal gastro valve ( or whats left of it) and I have told my surgeon, whatever the risks, I am prepared to go through it all again. I know that the statistics say that after a repeat myotomy 75% of patients show a noticable improvement in their symptoms. I did discuss the POEM (Per oral endoscopic myotomy) procedure but my surgeon said he did not think this was suitable at all given where my stricture is. It would be difficult to get to it using the POEM op but beside that he is not experienced in it and has doubts about its efficiency. On a good note I dont get any of the night time reflux I experienced pre myotomy and fundoplication. No more waking up choking which i did frequently so I am sure food is going down and the wrap works , its just it goes down too slowly. I have a totally aperistaltic oesophagus which means no contractions at all.Food and liquids go down by gravity ( ok that rules out a career as a spaceman). I think that all i can do is draw up a list of good foods and bad foods and avoid the bad like the plague and maybe drink more when I eat. Hope your symptoms resolve. Best thing is to go back to your surgeon and ask for a repeat myotomy.

• Posted

Your surgeon is not alone in bbeing cautious about POEM.   It is not a good thing if your oesophagus perforates, and it is definitely to be avoided, but they usually heal OK after a period of weeks.

We had a sesion abot food that achalasia  patients find difficult recently, and I hope that will go up on the wesbite soon.   But they seem to divide into a) texture - ie with stringiness / sinews (as in stewing steak), with skins like tomato / peas, white bread and so on;  b) rice and other food that bulks up if it sits in your oesophagus for too long; and c) spicy food or strong pills that will have an adverse effect on the oesophagus lining, again because they may be sitting there in the wrong place for a long time.

• Posted

My surgeon advised against a repeat myotomy. He explaned to me that the risks vs the rewards are not as good the second time around. Please let me be clear though everyone is different. My surgeon listed specific reasons why he did not want to repeat myotomy. I have had a pneumatic dilitation with little or no relief and botox with no relief. He stated that these are both indicators that my problem is more related to scar tissue than residual muscle fibers or tight fundiplication. Another evidence of this is that my myotomy and fundiplication are 15 years old and I had 80% relief for many years.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.