Post op Scoliosis Surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

HI I am 5mths post op scoliosis surgery, but still having awful pain in the shoulder region more like stinging and pricking, and very lower back.  Menitoned it to consultant but he made no comment. Still numb in the shoulder bade region too. Are these normal symptons? Also want to start exerising. Consultant mentioned swimming, but not keen to flash my scar as operated  on from T2 to L2 so scar approx 12inches. Any suggestion on what exercises are safe as the fusing is still taking place. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi it's over 40 years since my major surgery so I'm not sure what post op is like now.

All I can say is despite all my care and surgery down through the years I live every day in serious pain as a result of my condition, each day is so difficult to get through but with the friends and family around me I'm surviving......just about...

• Posted

HI, that is a long time to be in pain. Is there nothing that can be done to help as 40years on medically things would have improved? It was never mentioned to me that possibly post op I would continue to have pain. Yes immediately after the surgery it was crazy pain, which even the morphine hardly helped. I expectd that but not now. My cure was 71degree top and 48 degree bottom and was only years away from having problems organs being crushed. I think I was in a no win situation. I also got the top surgeon of which I had a good patient relationship with. I am going to have a look at some books to see if they can help with coping with the pain. I don't want to be on medication for the rest of my life. Have you  tried pilates or yoga? 
  • Posted

I can't really comment on personal experience here as I'm only 3 weeks post-op but I think I can answer your shoulder pain question - I have very similar symptoms with pains in my shoulders and numbness in a variety of places on my back. The pain in shoulders is usually due to air bubbles being stuck and pressing against the muscles/nerves although once you get exercising a little more then hopefully they will find their own way out.

As for the numbness, this isn't really much to worry about as it may either slowly fade or it won't, and either way it isn't particularly dangerous. Nearly my entire thorasic spine is numb, as is much of my cervical spine and shoulders and the guess is that this is due to the trauma that our backs went through, and the nerves may have been damaged slightly (which I know sounds scary but it really isn't!)

I'm not sure how cohearant that was, but hopefully it answers a few of your questions? And as for the exercise, I say don't be afraid to show your scar! You went through something major, and you got through it, so be proud of it!

Hope this helps smile Izzie x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.