Well, that's both feet done!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi there

Am nearly 5 weeks post scarf and akin osteotomy on my right foot. Had the same thing done on my left foot at the end of August last year. Totally different experience this time round, better prepared and ready for the uncomfortable bits. I would say to anyone thinking of having this surgery, we are all different and as it turns out, each of our feet are different too in terms of recovery. I'm glad I had them done and that I wasn't put off by other people's experiences. I'm back at worl tomorrow on a phased return, sedentary job and a colleague is kindly driving me in! I felt it was important to share a positive experience too!

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Permy1

lovely to hear you have had a great experience.

I will be 4 weeks post op Wednesday and will return to work then also. I'm really looking forward to having a routine again as being at home has made me feel quite low at times.

The pins in my toes don't come out for another 2 weeks but I'm sure the time will fly having work to focus on.

i awoke this morning with my bad foot resting on the bed instead of alleviated and it's a bit tender now but I am generally feeling more positive this week.

Good luck with you return to work x

• Posted

Wow penny thats great that you can return to work so soon.i am 4 wks post op, but I do alot of standing and lifting on my job, but am very bored sitting at home. I cant even put full weight bearing on my foot yet.are you able to wear shoes yet?
    • Posted

bev721, I'm going back in my Ugg boots, the only things soft enough for me to slide my foot in and out of!
    • Posted

I was lucky, didn't have pins. i'm ready to go back to work and it sounds like you are too!!!
    • Posted

Hi bev

i can't full weight bear yet and still have pins in my toes.

Im going back with the lovely post op shoe and thick skin as I'm sure it will attract all manner of comments ! 

I'm desk based and will get a lift to and from work which is great.

my pins are being removed 5 August so I hope to attempt a shoe then xx

• Posted

Thats nice, you have sit down job. Im thinking that I am going to have to be out for the 3 months of short term disability that im alloted in a 12 month period. My foot still throbs alot when standing too long. And ugg boots are a great idea. But its 90 degrees today. Lol
  • Posted

I had first foot done in February this year then the second one in May. First one, I was off from fen 16th until April 20th (had Easter holidays as I work in a school). My second one I was back at work and in shoes at 2 weeks post op. Two completely experiences!
  • Posted

I too am on second foot 5 half months post op and returning to work this week.  It has taken me this long as I had the bone fusion op (lapidus) which is a much longer recovery.  I was unlucky with this second foot as the bones did not fuse quickly and I was in a boot cast for 13 weeks, 6 with the first.  It has been a long road with this second one but like you I am glad I had the, done. I have lovely feet now and despite the difficulties would have it done gain.
  • Posted

Glad to hear all is going well Permy. I had double bunion surgery 4 months ago. I am still having trouble walking although it is getting better compared to 2 weeks ago. My feet swell alot and my big toes are drifty back towards the others not sure if thats normal? Also oin the right foot because the toe is drifting back the second toe is squashed and ggives me a lot of discomfort again  not sure if its normal. I had my last check up a month ago they said come back in 3 months and we will see how it is. I have a continues pulling feeling between the big and second toe. When you say your toe was pinned what does that mean?  Take is easy.
  • Posted

Hi good to hear some positive feedback as most of the feedback I have read has been very negative and a little scary.  I am 5 weeks post op  after having bunion removed and neuroma removed.

So far the pain has been a lot less than I thought it would be.  I go back to the surgeon next week and should be able to put shoes on then hopefully.

Some people say closed in shoes are better but has anyone tried Sketches a friend said they were by far the best but not sure if they will have enough support.

I dont think we get enough information on post surgery expectations.

I was told to moisturize my foot daily but it has still cracked and peeled

is that normal, it looks gross. Has anyone else experienced this.

Im looking forward to driving again but as its my right foot and I have a manual car not sure when I would be able/ any suggestions. Im also a golfer and Im hoping to get back to my golf and friends before too long Im aiming at 12 weeks hope thats not too optimistic.

Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Sandra

i was driving after 7 week following a bilateral lapidus + Atkins! and walking tenderly 5miles at 17 weeks, but, you'll need to be able to fit into your shoes first...

caroline

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.