lasting nervous system damage due to longterm use of venlafaxine

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi, I have been taking venlafaxine 300mg for well over 10 years, am currently on a withdrawal programme.

I was told that it was possible that there may be permanent damage to my nervous system as a result of taking this drug for so long.

Does anybody know anything about this or has anyone suffered lasting effects?

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I have been on venlafaxtine 225mg for 20 years and am currently reducing to come off as they r no longer working, I'm interested to spk to u regarding this post
    • Posted

Curious to know how your tapering went and if you had any lasting effects from Effexor.

• Posted

Hi Sarah, I have bipolar disorder and was given venlafaxine about 13 years ago by my gp before i was seen and diagnosed by a psychiatrist. I loved the stuff, it didn't sedate me and it took away a lot of anxiety and depression.

I've recently been advised by my latest psychiatrist that venlafaxine is not the drug of choice to use in bipolar as it could induce mania so they recommend i stop taking it gradually. I am in the middle of a 15 week programme to reduce by 37.5mg every other week for example last week I took 150mg one day and 112.5mg the next alternating all week, this week I take 112.5mg all week, reducing on alternate days next week

• Posted

That's exactly how I'm reducing I have BPD it did work for me too in the beginning but not anymore tbh I'm coming off as I've been on so long but still suffer badly as also have severe depressive disorder, my old physiatrist wouldn't consider a change in meds but my new one is much better, I am gonna cc how I go without it but if needed I will try a new one. Ur not alone I no alot of ppl who seem to hav been put on antidepressants and hav bipolar which is not good, how r you finding the reduction I am experiencing some brain shocks which r unpleasant and headaches but I'm determined to get off it. Good luck pls let me no how u go
    • Posted

Sorry I read it wrong I'm reducing monthly 37.5mg but I'm currently at 150 then August 150mg alternative days _ 37.5 at 112.5mg for a month and then Sept 112.5mg a month
  • Posted

well, I took myself off depakote in march as I couldnt cope with side effects, so no mood stabiliser since then, bipolar has flared up and my marriage has ended after 20 years so along with venlafaxine withdrawal I am quite ill, not physically thankfully, no signs of withdrawal symptoms as i was expecting just very heightened anxiety. I've moved to a different area, new area health authority, I did register with a doctor who requested a mental health refferal but after waiting a couple of weeks i got scared and called the crisis team.

The help and support i have recieved from them has been overwhelming, have had more support in the last 2 weeks than I've had in 15 years of mental health problems, because I went through the crisis team my needs have been fast tracked, i will be allocated a care co-ordinator this week, something i have never had before 

• Posted

Wow I'm on depakote also I'm hoping once off the venlafaxtine to reduce this too. It's so strange it seems that u have had very little help in past as myself, my doctor actually withheld my diagnosis u only found out 10 years after during a meeting with children services. I'm glad u r getting better help sorry to hear about your break up. I'm starting dialectical behavioural therapy tomorrow so hoping this will help. My main issue is the depression and lack of motivation to do anything, In the past I was v good at pushing myself but just seem stuck at the moment. I had an amazing care Co ordinator for 4 yearsI'm sure they will help. Thanks for sharing and I wish u well
    • Posted

Thanks for sharing your story too, its been good to have a comparison, take care of you, I wish you well too x 
  • Posted

I've been taking venlafaxine for 8 years and the dr. just increased it.  I'll be dead before I notice any "damage".  I'm not going through venlafaxine withdrawals.
  • Posted

Hi there, any idea what type of nerve damage they mean? I was online venlafaxine for almost two years, stopped taking it for about 9 weeks, and now I'm going back on (started it again today). It was starting to not work for me at 150mg and I wanted to try something different so I got prescribed Cymbalta (duloxetine). Well, it worked for my depression problems but made my anxiety so much worse. Plus I was dizzy literally all the time and extremely tired. These side effects never subsided for the whole ~9 weeks I was on it. So back to venlafaxine I go! I'm starting back at 75mg but I'll probably need to go back to 150 since I've seen that at 75 it acts just as a regular SSRI, not effecting norepinephrine. Grrr. SSRIs did not work for me at all but Effexor worked WONDERS when I was at the worst point in my life in 2013.

The only lasting side effect I've noticed is my jaw clenching more. I used to clench my jaw occasionally, but after taking venlafaxine it's just all the time and sometimes I can barely open my mouth sad That doesn't seem to be too common though. Good luck on your withdrawal. I didn't really experience withdrawal  from switching as Cymbalta is also an SNRI, however I do occasionally forget to take my medicine and I get withdrawal as soon as it's 24 hours past when I last took it. It's so awful, it's like having the flu plus anxiety, extreme mood swings, and brain zaps. Hopefully you're tapering slowly and won't have to deal with severe side effects. Take care! 

• Posted

Hi! I have been on Venlafaxine for almost two years. I tried to come off it last year and ended up with an ankle injury shortly after. It was an odd injury and they just kept telling me that my ankle was sprained, even though all I did was take a normal step, no twisting or rolling of the ankle. For 10 weeks I saw 9 different doctors trying to get answers as to why my entire right foot was purple, with pins and needles when I tried to put pressure on it. Anytime it started to feel a bit better, I would use it and it would “restrain”. After seeing a physio therapist, she said she had only seen two cases like mine before and it turned out the people had Complex Regional Pain Syndrome

All of the symptoms made sense. I had a previous injury to my ankle as a teenage and CRPS actually attacks previous injury’s when your body becomes too stressed to deal with it. 

After losing my job, I had to go back on Venlafaxine because it is literally the prescribed medication for CRPS. Within 36 hours of taking Venlafaxine again, the swelling went down and the colour returned to my foot. I haven’t had another sprain like symptom since being back on them, other than a burning sensation in the front of my ankle. Since coming off the meds about a month and a half ago, I can feel my ankle being weak. I can feel a burning sensation and it is swelling around the front and outside of the ankle. 

I’m concerned Venlafaxine caused this nerve damage. 

It causes the worst withdrawal symptoms and I truly believe I have a nerve disorder because of it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.