Advise please.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all. I am new to this site. I had Chevron osteotomy hallux with distal soft tissue realinement and pip joint fusion on my second toe yesterday. I have padding and bandages and an orthopedic boot. I go back on Thursday to the dressing clinic for a Mitchels bootie. I have been told that this is a plaster of paris cast. Has anyone on here had one and if so how long did you wear it for? Also I have a pin sticking out from my 2nd toe, when is this likely to be removed? Apart from the dressing clinic appointment this Thursday my next appointment is to be in 6 weeks to see my surgeon. Surely the pin should be removed before this? Any information would be very welcome. Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

hi joy, joy i had my two bunions done together and hammer toe pinned on 11th May, so i am ten weeks post op, i dont know if what you have had is similar, but i had my dressings and stitches in for two weeks, then i went back four weeks later for the pin to be removed so it was a six week period of treatment, i would like to say though the pin removal was painless it was the removal of stitches that was unpleasant, i would advise for that you take some pain killers as the wound is still very sore at this stage... i had to wear the black boot for six weeks and keep my both feet elevated as much as possible... but i did not have the plaster cast... i must say its been a roller coaster of emotions not being able to be mobile as much as one would like, and i still have quite a journey ahead, unfortunately these ops are not the quick recovery ones, my surgeon told me i am looking at a year for recovery... was not expecting that i must say, i do wish you well joy and top tip rest and elevate as much as you can x
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply gilleegreen. I feel much better knowing that the pin could be in for 6 weeks. Your right about it being an emotional time, I was weepy all last week before my op and again today. Saying that I realize the general could be the cause of today's tears. I'm just glad the ops out of the way. Thanks for the advise.
    • Posted

your be ok joy, just keep postive, your never alone on this site, and everyone has similar experiences to share, your far from alone with the tears...and the general plays a big part in the emotional side, your all on schedule with everything, so try not to worry.... rest is the best !!! we are all here joy if you want to vent any issues..... take care rest and soon we will be up and running again x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.