Urolift questions

Posted , 9 users are following.

It sounds like the Urolift procedure works very well for many men. It seems the procedure helps men pee freely again and also improves the ejaculation issue as well. In spite of these bennefits, a swollen prostate remains swollen even with the Urolift procedure I would assume. For men who have had the Urolift done I am curious about the following. After you are healed from the Urolift procedure, even though you may pee more freely now, is the hesitation to start a urine flow (from having a previously squeezed uretha) now eliminated by the Urolift procedure? Also, because the prostate is still large do you still find after the Urolift procedure that you still have to go to the bathroom over and over again?

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Peter I had a Urolift done 2 month's ago.  After the first week I was peeing normal.I had 4 implants put in. Do not feel them at all.  No hesitations before I had to force myself. Also I sleep through the night and I am on to other meds.   Anything eslse you need to know just ask.  I ejaculate just fine.  With some of the others you lose that....  Ken
    • Posted

Hi Ken,

At which hospital did you have your procedure done.

Rgds,N

• Posted

Hey Neil.  I had it done at Florida East Surgical Center By Doctor Zamip P Patel  My doctor address is 258 South Chickasaw Trail Orlando Fl 32825  Phone Number 407-303-6856 He is on the 2nd floor and the Surgical Center is on the first floor.  Great Guy  I trust him alot  Ken
    • Posted

Ken, thanks for the info. Love the concept of PAE because it shrinks the bladder, which is the main problem for our prostates in the first place. But with insurance not covering that procedure the Urolift sounds like a real viable and more affordable second choice. Thanks again.
    • Posted

Just make sure you trust your doctor.  Chuck on here had a PAE in november Cost him $10.000 Did not work  He had a urolift done about 4 weeks ago.  Did him good First week was the worst but now his great Take care  Ken
    • Posted

Ken, Roland (from down under) said he paid around $2,000 + for his Urolift. With you being in Florida, was your Urolift covered by Medicare or Private Health Insurance Co or did you have to pay out of pocket? Do you recall the cost to you? I am soon leaving my present Urologist and will most likely be going to a new Urologist in Somers Point, NJ who does perform the Urolift procedure. The girls in his office said the procedure cost $350.00 and about $150.00 per pin. And of course the Medical Care Center would have a cost as well. She also gave me the Insurance Code #'s of S2441, S2442 for me to call my insurance company to see if they cover the procedure, which I have not done yet. She also said Medicare used to pay for the procedure but now they do not. O'Boma care in action!
    • Posted

Yes I live in orlando.  I am on medicare.  They got written approvel from well care and I had it done 2 weeks later.  Did not pay a thing.  I went for my 2 week check up all was good but when I got home I got a letter for well care saying that it was denied.  They 2 weeks later I got a letter from well care saying that the cost was lowered.  It cost them more to send me the latter.  It cost me 1 penny.  I am saving all the letters if I have a problem.  4 implants were put in.  Take care  Ken    
  • Posted

Hi Peter. I had the Urolift done five weeks ago and am going for a check up today. I feel much, much better since the procedure. The first week after the procedure I had to pee a lot (six times at night), second week became better (three times at night) and from third week on practically cured. I am back to my normal life, sleeping at night ok but wake up 1 or 2 times but that's ok. Second time wake up is when I normally wake up anyway (or shortly before). Peeing during the day never a problem. Two to three times only. And, yes, peeing flows more freely and leaves bladder empty. That's my feeling. Also, libido back to normal, how good is this! I am happy I have done it. No more medication, no more side effects. I am sure that Urolift is a big improvment for men with BPH. PS. I have done a lot of research before I decided to stop my medication (Flomax) and decided to go for it. I am glad I have done it. I for sure can recommend it but talk to your urologist if you are a candidate for it.

cheers, Roland

• Posted

Yes Urolift is a good thing for men now.  I had mine done 8 weeks ago.  The first week was the worse.  I had a catheter in. First time for that.  My dr and I made the call.  I have a problem peeing on demand. Been like that for years.  He was afraid I would clot.  It was the best thing I did.  Urine was clear the next morning. Only had it for 2 days.  Now pee great no meds and I get up once in a while to pee.  All demands on how much I drink before bed.   Take care  Ken 
    • Posted

Hi Ken

I am happy for you. I had no catheter, lucky me. But first week, I agree, was a bit difficult. I felt tender down there, always had a feeling making a pee, every one hour, but as I mentioned, things improved rapidly since then. I am happy now. Glad I went through it. Take care.

• Posted

Most of the time they don't use a catheter But with my problem  My doctor thought it was best.  The day after the catheter was the worst it burned when I peed Now it good.  I go to my doctor the August 11  I'm glad all went well with you.  Ken
    • Posted

Roland, thanks for the extensive information you provided. It was really informative and really appriciated. Yes, I was presribed Rapaflo back in 2012. After ejaculating "backwards" a couple of times I said that's it for me. Got off Rapaflo and Saw Palmetto and Beta Sitosterol and everything else that just didn't seem to work. Just let nature take its course and peed much slower. But the flow is slower and time soon enough to make a move. I believe it will be Urolift. I still have not checked with my insurance company to see if it is covered. But if it is not it is at least more affordable than PAE at 8 to $12,000.00!! Thanks again.
    • Posted

Hi Neal, I live in Sydney, Australia. The Urolift was done here in one of the Urology clinics. No problem. cheers, Roland
    • Posted

Hi Peter. I found my Urolift procedure not so expensive. I paid $2000 Australian Dollars (Sydney). What was more expensive was my private hospital stay since my insurance did not cover private hospital stay. cheers.Roland

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.