Pin removal

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, pin removal hopefully next week. My question is did you feel any discomfort in the toe leading up to the removal. Obviously the toe is still swollen, occasionally I will have little shooting pains? How did you feel? I guess I'm worrying that it hasn't set? I think I would feel real pain if there was a problem. Lol apart from that I'm Don g great, scars healing lovely, no scabs left! Foot with pin more swollen but I'm resting elevating and icing as much as I can. Oh....I couldn't believe how much dead skin came off lol. I'm also gently massaging  the feet and scars and very gently moving big toes as after six weeks non weight baring they are going to be stiff. All positive though. I know some of you are struggerling, I'm here to chat if needed. X

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello Rae. I had double bunion surgery 4 months ago now. Did not have pins. Not real happy with it right now as big toes are drifting towards the others. The second toe on the right foot is so squashed it hurts not sure if this is normal it is making it hard to walk around alot. Been back to the doctor they want me to wait for 3 months to see what happens dont like that idea. Any thoughts. I am glad u are houng ok
    • Posted

Sorry to hear your having problems Pauline. Can you post photos? I've been wearing a spacer ( which you can buy from boots) to stop the big toe from drifting back. How is the 2nd tie squashed? Was it like this before surgery? Hope you can find the answers x
    • Posted

Hi Rae the second toe is squashed due to bug toe bending towrads it. Was not this bad before the operation.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear that Pauline. My dr mentioned a brace you can wear, goigle it and see if it may help you. X
  • Posted

hi rae, i had two feet done at once and one hammer toe pinned, after the painful stitch removal i was getting myself into such a state about having the pin out, it was making me feel really sick to, the morning i had to go i could not drink or eat anything because i was so anxious and felt terrible... but i must say it was out so quick and painless that i shouted out.... thank you lord !!!! i did take some pain killers before i left and i did not get any pain until the evening time, and it was mild just a sore stinging feeling, but nothing at all like i thought it would be, my toes too were swollen and so sore and sensitive that the thought of any touching my feet made me feel ill, but it was well ok.... doctor looked at me and said, thats it, you can throw the black boots away now, drive, go on holiday do what you like now..... omg i only wished i could, i can not get any form of shoe on, as for driving no way my feet are still so swollen and i am still getting like nerve stabbing pains shouting through my wounds toes and nail beds.... i am now ten weeks post op and still no where near really walking without any pain... so i am still off work and resting and just hope the swelling starts to settle down soon, the whole thing nas been an emotional rollercoaster and no way would i have any foot surgery again ever.... x
    • Posted

youve had it hard I know Gillee. Just try and think of the end result, not so easy though is it? especially when you've had so much to deal with. Ice ice ice, I've been taking anti inflammatory too. Get those feet up higher than you heart. I found I'm going upstairs to bed and managing a few hours of elevating. Boring but I make myself do it. My foot raiser and pillows have  been a god send. Can you manage to place your feet in a bowl of cold water? Then warm water?  I've used this method before as I'm a runner for swelling. I find the cold water reduces the swelling, not easy to keep them in. But try it NOW lol, be consistent too. it may help best of luck x let me know how it goes anything is worth a try x 
    • Posted

hi rae.... i am going to do the cold water thing tomorrow for sure and ill post my outcome.... i thank you for your advice, i read every message i get with interest and this site has become part of my life with the healing process... once i am healed i will always look on here and help others that may be in the same situation.... x

• Posted

Yes I had pain/discomfort all around my middle hammer toe with the pin in, I thought it might be rubbing on the bone through to metatarsal.  It didn't hurt coming out, but unfortunately I've still got pain in my middle toe, not the same as before but like a very sharp pin prick on the joint of the toe.  I don't think it has minded properly, mine was done on 30 Matxh and I'd hoped it would be all on the mend by now.  Also where they cut the toe and skin on top of toes, there is a dimple like scar, my grandchildren said it looks like someone chopped off your toe and just stuck it back on.  Well that's what it feels like !   Will see the surgeon in a couple weeks to find out what's going on. Bunion op seems to be going ok.  Still get a swollen foot and now I've started to do the manipulative exercise, found on YouTiube, it feels like the big toe is becoming part of the foot again.  Sorry about the moan, sometimes it helps to have a grumble, I guess.  wink. Hope yours goes well.
    • Posted

your not moaning Barbara, we are all here to listen. I felt like Frankenstein when my bandage came off! I was shocked at the state of my hammertoe. It's getting better though and seems to be settling down. Mine is a little mis shaped on the one side, but can live with that. Your doing the right thing manipulating the toe, I'm slowly doing the same x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.