I've found something that may be a cure

Posted , 7 users are following.

This may be a bit wordy, but please bear with me.  In recent years my digestive tract has been acting up badly.  I was taking Prilosec, dicyclomine, Tums and beano to deal with it.  Then a very nice lady at church gave me some kefir, which is basically a natural, home-grown type of probiotics.  I started cultivating the kefir grains and brewing my own kefir drink.  It made a *huge*difference and I was able to go completely off all my IBS type drugs and substances.  After a while I stopped drinking the kefir and the IBS didn't come back, so I kind of forgot about it for a while.

About a year and a half ago I got frozen shoulder in my left shoulder.  A month of the "can't reach behind my back and hurts like h**l if I try" and then a physical therapist suggested I try icing the shoulder.  That caused the muscles in my arm to start spasming and suddenly I was accelerated into "pain on the verge of going postal all the time, gets worse at night, can't sleep, etc".  That went on for three months and then abruptly got better.

A couple of months later I got it in the other arm.  This one was a bit different, the first stage dragged on for seven months but never seemed to get bad (I thought I was going to escape that phase, ha,ha, foolish me) and then suddenly I was in constant pain and couldn't sleep more than a couple of hours before the shoulder pain woke me up.  Nothing helped but a really hot bath, and even that only bought me an hour or two at best. This went on for a month.

Then I started having a mild flareup of the IBS, so I brewed up some kefir and started drinking it.  I like to drink it just before bedtime as it makes me sleepy sometimes.  The morning after my first dose of kefir I woke up after seven hours of uninterrupted sleep, and best of all, my arm didn't hurt all that much (prior to that mornings were a huge pain for me).  At first I thought it was a fluke but I have been drinking kefir every night for the past week and a half and there has been a *huge* improvement in my shoulder.  It is improving so fast I can actually see a difference in range of motion every day.  Yesterday I was able to reach the seat belt on the passenger side.  I absolutely couldn't do that 2 days ago.

Then I started thinking back and I realized that the last time I'd had frozen shoulder, the end of my three months of extreme pain had ended during the month of drinking kefir.  At the time I didn't connect the two because it never occurred to me that my digestive tract would have any connection to frozen shoulder.

Since then I've been doing a bit of research into the ailments that kefir is supposed to help, and I noticed a lot of people who mentioned allergies and auto-immune as conditions that kefir had cured for them.  I also recall that someone in the frozen shoulder group on Yahoo mentioned a theory that allergies or auto-immune reactions may have had some kind of connection to frozen shoulder.

The kefir that I'm drinking is a water based kefir; I imagine the milk based kefir would have the same effect.  If anyone wants to try it I wouldn't recommend you just go out and buy products advertising "kefir" in teh stores.  They're really expensive, for one thing, and I'm guessing the concentration and quality of the bacteria in them wouldn't be very high.

Kefir's strength is that it has a bunch of live "good bacteria" that populate your gut.  Processing foods would tend to kill off a lot of them, I'm guessing, and at the very least dilute them.  Get some live kefir grains and ferment your own fresh kefir.

I'm really excited about this possible cure.  Maybe a little giddy as well smile  Only those of you suffering this aweful pain can imagine what a blissful relief the sudden cessation of pain can be.

I'd love to hear if kefir works for anyone else.  Please let me know if you have tried it, whether or not it works.  I don't want to be blathering to people about a cure that exists only in my hopeful imagination.

Live kefir grains should be available if you just google for "kefir" (the water based kefir is called tibicos).  If you live in the NW US and happen to be in the Portland, OR area I'd be glad to give you some of mine.  If you treat it right your kefir should double in bulk every couple of weeks and I usually have extra in the fridge.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Do you think it would help M.E. sufferers? I have frozen shoulder as well as M.E. and IBS
    • Posted

M.E./C.F.S.

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

I have had M.E. for 32 years and it has got so much worse since my frozen shoulder 7 months ago.

• Posted

I'd be very interested to find out if kefir helps with chronic fatigue.  I think we're barely scratching the surface of the importance of the bacterial culture in our gut, and it's my guess that many of these "mystery"  (as in the doctors don't know why you get them and they can't cure them) conditions may be strongly affected by the condition of our intestinal flora.  If you'd like I could probably get you a starter baggie of kefir (I keep a bunch of them in my fridge for giving out to people)
  • Posted

Not sure what M.E. is?  But if you have both frozen shoulder and IBS I'd definitely try the kefir just for those two conditions.
  • Posted

I have been making my own kefir for the past 3 years and it has for the most part kept me fairly healthy. I got frozen hip -- same thing as frozen shoulder except with the hip joint -- about 3 months ago. I am seeing a chiropractor, physio therapist and massage therapist for treatment. I am still taking the kefir daily but it doesn't seem to have any effect. The chiropractor said it would be a slow recovery and would dependent on an aggressive home exercise routine. I am using a tens machine for pain relief.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear that kefir wasn't helpful for your frozen hip.  Do you have the milk or water kefir?  I am hoping that what worked for me will help others but I have no way of knowing why it caused such a definite improvement to my frozen shoulder.  Thanks for letting me know, I rather people went in to this possible treatment with reasonable expectations.
    • Posted

I still drink kefir on a daily basis -- it does many other good things for me. It just didn't help my hip. I still highly recommend it as a good healthy thing to do. I have the milk kefir.
  • Posted

Hi Francine

Thanks for posting this.  I will try to buy some kefir today from a health food shop.  Will let you know if it makes a difference.  Alison.  

• Posted

I'm not sure if a health food store would have the actual live culture (and it'll probably be ghastly expensive).  You'd be better off just finding someone in your area who is growing it, or find a source online.
  • Posted

Hello Francine 

Have taken yogurt for years for IBS helped a lot. I have heard  many good things about kefer. 

Will private message you.

• Posted

BTW...update on this...after two weeks of drinking kefir my pain reduction is really impressive.  I am sleeping in pretty much any position and it doesn't hurt too much to roll on my shoulder.  I haven't gained much range of motion; I'm pretty sure this isn't improving the adhesions themselves, only the constant, clenching pain.  I still have no idea if anyone else's pain will respond this way but I think it's worth trying considering how little it costs and the other possible side benefits (better digestion).
  • Posted

Another update...I've got about 50% range of motion and the pain has subsided to the point that it's almost more itchy than painful.  When I get careless and hit my range of motion it hurts, but only as long as I'm putting pressure on the adhesions.  I don't get that "seeing stars" pain any more.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.