abdominal pain alleviated by eating

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I have been suffering from severe abdominal pain every morning which gets to the point that I am doubled up and crying in agony, unless I eat, and then it goes! I have pain on my upper right quadrant (I don't have a gall bladder) which is most definitely related to this other pain. My dr told me a few months ago that I have an enlarged liver and we have established that it may be because I am overweight. I have lost over a stone since I last saw her, am due to go back for repeat bloods in a few weeks. I have been feeling really unwell for the past few days, constant nausea, dizziness and just generally feeling unwell. I am intending to visit my dr at the start of next week. Does anyone have any ideas about this in the meantime? The pain in my right side is always there, just dulled down and then flares up big time when I don't eat. Thank you for any advice.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rebecca, you poor thing. I don't know what it could be, I hope you yor doctor helps you.
  • Posted

Very difficult to say what it is without any tests.  The fact that it is relieved by eating may suggest that it relates to your stomach - maybe too much acid which is dampened down by food - it could be inflammation or maybe even an ulcer.  Other possibililties could be pancreas or bile duct problems.  I think you need some tests doing particularly an endoscopy to check out your stomach/duodenum and to test for the stomach bug H pylori which in  some people can cause many different and problematic symptoms.  A CT scan would check out your pancreas/liver/kidneys.

Hope you get answers and relief very soon.

• Posted

Thank you both. This awful pain has been happening once a day, usually in the morning but today it's happened in the morning and again just now, ate some toast and it's helped! Definitely need to see my dr! I have been losing weight but I have joined a slimming club and have been doing it that way. The dizziness is pretty awful too! Was thinking about calling out of hours doc but not sure? Something is definitely not right. 😯
    • Posted

Hi Rebecca

Stomach problems can make you feel generally unwell with the symptoms you describe. I'm battling gastritis and apart from the horrendous pain, some days I can hardly get out of bed. Hopefully some test will highlight what is wrong so that they can get you onto the right treatment asap.

• Posted

Aw Debbie, sorry to hear this. I was diagnosed with Gastritis about 4 years ago. Been on esomeperazole for a few years as well now. Was also tested for helicobacter years back but was negative then! Am just a little bit worried in case is my liver! I know the best thing to do is visit the dr. Will be making app on Monday! Hope you're feeling better soon.
    • Posted

I was also negative for h pylori, six months before testing positive although now wondering if I was a false negative.Hope that you get some answers soon.
    • Posted

Hi, woke this morning feeling ok. Had some brown toast and tea and feeling really sick! Burping stomach acid, which is not pleasant! Took my esomeperazole as usual first thing. Have pain in my left side. 😯😯
  • Posted

HI

Sorry to hear of your problems. Sounds like and could be a bit of acid reflux

Are you taking any medication like, "LANSPRAZOLE" ?

I take this as I have osephagitis, (I think thats the way to spell it).

If it is acid reflux, where the excess acid in your stomach spills over into your Osephagus, eating relieves it as the excess acid is being used up to break down any food that you have eaten. The problem with this is that you could end up eating more than you want to, just to relieve the pain. Unfortunately, its a double edged sword. You might eat to relieve the pain, but eating to much will bring on the problem, especially when you lay down, and generally its twice as bad.

Try raising the top half of your body when you are in bed, so that the gravity helps keeps the acid where it used be.

Best of luck, and I hope your doctor gets to the bottom of whatever is causing your problems and pain.

lol

• Posted

Hi. Wee update. Saw dr and she prescribed ranitidine and metocloperamide (for nausea). She's also taken bloods, which came back normal. A day later and I had to go back as still suffering from stomach pain but now have pain in middle left side! Took a urine sample and there is blood and pus present so been prescribed antibiotics. She doesn't know if my stomach issues are connected to this other pain? Have also sent off a stool sample to check for helicobacter. Am feeling awful today, sore from the pain in my stomach and also now on my side! Have to go back today if it gets any worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.