Can this also be my IBS?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hiya

I've been diagnosed with IBS since the start of the year!! I've noticed not a certain set or type of food can trigger it. Has anyone else had this as well?

Also o was just wondering for about 3 months now I've ha really bad pains in my ribs, could this also be part of the IBS or?

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,Unfortunately, I am now having problems at the top of my stomach too. In my case it is  probably due to taking Ibuprofen and Naproxen when I was waiting for a neck operation about 6 months ago.  I have had erosions in my stomach before through taking these but I was in so much pain with a trapped nerve in my neck and they were the only meds that gave me relief.  I am waiting for an endoscopy at the beginning of August to find out what the pain is 'up top'.    I am getting pains in my ribs and left shoulder blade.  Is your pain coming from the left hand side of your stomach and going through to your back? I think you need some tests like me to diagnose what is going on.I  take Kolanticon Gel which seems to ease the IBS cramps.  It has an antispasmodic, antiflatulent and an antacid, so it is helping me a bit with my pain 'up top' too. I take it after I have had a small meal as that is when the pains start.  Hope it helps you while you get a diagnosis.
    • Posted

Hiya

Oh I bet that trapped nerve really hurt!! Hope your okay and all well!!

Well my pain in my ribs hurt on the right side😔 but when I have pain in my stomache, i can't even move ..because I physically can't swallow tablets I can't take anything to relieve the pain and all I can do is cry really!!

With my IBS after EVERY MEAL I have to go to he toilet and honestly I'm worried for my health cause I'm loosing so much weight, I'm a size 6 and every pair of jeans and shirts don't fit me, it's actually embarrassing

• Posted

Hi Sarnn, forgot to mention onions and tomatoes, especially when they are in a rich sauce upset me.  I cannot eat anything spicy either without a bad 'flare up'
  • Posted

I got diagnosed with ibs also and had rib pain/joint pain/ neck base if skull popping & cracking and discomfort. Finally got proper dignosage Rocky Mountain spotted fever. I also have burning in my head & chest. Tenderness all over. Thick clear phlegm. Throat problems. There's so may symptoms with rmsf/ Lyme disease. Also anxiety & depression. Go get tested. Everyone does not get bulls eye rash. I didn't.
    • Posted

Hiyaa

Oh wow, I think I really need to get tested because when my ribs hurt, the pain is so bad it feels like someone's crushing my ribs and honestly I'm having to take days up to weeks off work because it's that bad

• Posted

Twenty years ago, when I first suspected I had IBS I found a book in the local library on IBS.  I cannot remember who the author was BUT The two main causes were milk and gluten.  So the easiest thing for me to give up was dairy products - ALL dairy products.  For six months I ate no milk, cheese, butter, cream, yoghurt, ALL dairy products.  I ate mostly fresh fruit, fresh vegetables and normal meats, etc.  80% of my symptoms went away.  To prove a point I tried a glass of town (pasteurised) milk and all the symptoms came back and I suffered for a week.  Recently I have discovered that my symptoms are being triggered by the government grade bread, (I live in South Africa) which contains amongst other things, palm fruit fat/oil.  SO I stopped eating anything that has palm fruit oil/fat in it.  This includes 90% chocolates, biscuits/cookies, anything that might have fat in them.

So far since I have avoided palm fruit fat/oil (including coffee creamers), artificial sweeteners and most preservatives my IBS symptoms have abated.

If I eat bread (the governement grade) my IBS returns with a vengeance.  If I make my own bread (flour, water, lard yeast (not instant) and sugar) I do not have these symptoms.

• Posted

Hiya

I wish I had the time to make my own bread!! All I ever eat is chocolate bars and bread

• Posted

Soda bread is really easy-my husband makes it. No waiting on the yeast either as you use baking soda to make it rise. The main 3 ingredients in it are biolive yogurt, flour, baking soda and salt. It's really nice and doesn't take long. smile
  • Posted

I have had ibs since childhood. 6 years ago it went up higher on left side and for last 2 years it's affected my left side ribs and back also up to shoulder blade. I'm certain it's my pancreas as worse after alcohol but had so many tests on it that docs say it can't be and it's just ibs. I don't believe them!
    • Posted

Mine gets worse after alcohol as well!! I'm scared that it's something worse than IBS and that it won't get recognised or diagnosed until it's really bad or has already caused too much damage
  • Posted

Hi I can definitely help with the food side of things, I've had IBS for 2 years. Over the last 2 years I've found I can eat certain types of food but then the month after eating these foods causes my IBS to go crazy.

Some of the foods I avoid are sausage rolls, shreddies, white bread, dominoes pizza now these amazing pizzas really set my IBS off. Just a few things that I avoid. If you eat a balanced diet and plenty of veg you might see a difference I certainly did but then I stopped as I found it boring!

• Posted

Hiya

See I'm a really fussy eater and I don't like hot meals so I basically cut out most of the stuff anyways but I absolutely love shreddies but they sometimes set my IBS off😔 Also I've been told to cut out white bread but I basically live off it, and I don't like any other bread. But how can you cut out dominoes pizza it's soo good but yeah that sets off my IBS as well!!

I don't like vegetables and I certainly don't eat a balanced diet cause I don't like hot meals or just food put together in actual fact so I'm a bit stuck on that!

Like I probably eat about 20 chocolate bars a day

• Posted

wow this could be a huge factor in helping your IBS have you tried eating hovis 50/50 bread? You honestly can't tell the difference between that and white bread. Why don't you like hot meals if you don't mind me asking
    • Posted

Yeahh I've tried the 50/50 bread and I can instantly taste the difference!! I am so fussy and picky over what I eat!! Oh and because I don't like food that's been picked together like for example I won't lasagne because everything's all mixed together and the only things I will eat is plain pizza, chicken nuggets, also chocolate bars and bread
    • Posted

If you change your diet you might see huge difference. I read that b12 deficiency can have similar symptoms of IBS. Maybe try taking a supplement.
    • Posted

Chocolate bars send my IBS into overdrive, especially if they have additives such as nuts, fruit, crunchies, whatever.  I try ans steer clear of any wheat products, especially if they have raising ingredients.  You don't have to eat hot food, just try the FODMAP system.  It is really quite good.

• Posted

I also avoid white bread. I saw someone on the forums saying that white bread is supposed to be better for IBS sufferers, but it leaves me unable to go to the loo after just a couple of slices. Pizza....I couldn't live without it, but I know I will suffer the consequences. The link between these two is the refined wheat flour base of the pizza and the refined wheat flour in the bread. Sausage rolls I can live without-they don't taste like proper sausages anyway! I definitely agree with you on the vegetable front, and plenty of fruit too as this gives you energy-just not too much citrus or pineapple as they're both really acidic!
    • Posted

I hate to say it, but the wheat in shreddies and the wheat in the white bread is what is causing your IBS issues, which, combined with the lack of vegetables, to me is a nightmare of cramps and constipation. I've had the odd week where I've eaten like that and suffered for it so I know! I love chocolate, but limit myself to one or two bars a day (mostly one, but sometimes two) as I know this will make me put weight on like nothing else can! To help your digestive system you need to change your mindset over food. Some foods can be improved with seasoning-for instance a stir-fry with vegetables in it can really be tasty, and rice noodles instead of egg noodles, makes it wheat-free. Try to eat less bread (or cut it out entirely if you can.) If you have to eat shreddies put them with some fruit-bananas are good for helping keep things moving. Also try to get some oats into your diet. Oatcakes are nice with cheese. At worst flapjack contains a lot of them and panders to your sweet tooth.
    • Posted

Have you tried deconstructed salad? (Basically salad that is separated into its components-so tomatoes in one bowl, lettuce in another, cucumber in another.) Also do you like Jacket potatoes with just butter on them? They're a great source of fibre. Also nice with cheese-kind of like a pizza without the tomato sauce. Potato cakes might also appeal-they are nice and plain if all you put in for flavour is butter and they're better for you than bread or pizza.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.