Unable to take a deep breath without a yawn

Posted , 5 users are following.

Since last year I have been having breathing difficulties most probably due to acid entering my lungs. Has anyone else been through this problem and is there any good cure for this??

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Zohra

I have has this problem for 19 months now. Have not been able to leave the house much because of it. It is very unpredictable but my paleoish diet is helping somewhat. I have taken antibacterials such as garlic, berberine and oil of oregano and that has helped a bit plus taking probiotics but the symptoms always return within a couple

Of weeks. I am now trying fecal transplant and so far things seem to be improving and I haven't had to take antibacterials so far and it's been 13 days. Feel free to ask any questions. My breathing symptoms are linked to ibs it seems. Chronic belching and what seems to be SIBO.

• Posted

It's basically putting a donors stool into your colon. It has been used to treat c. Difficile infection, MS, ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, food intolerances. They are currently trialling it for SIBO in the london clinic and so I had to try as I know that part of my problem is the imbalance of bacteria in my colon. I have completed 14 days and still not much burping!! And can take a deep breath more often too. I have just read an interesting article which makes a lot of sense about anxiety. But it is all linked to the gut. It is on dr Ronald Hoffmanns website called panic attacks and anxiety. Really worth reading
    • Posted

And to answer your question about probiotics - they do seem to help but then my symptoms return and I couldn't work out if the probiotics were making things worse or if it was just when I stopped taking the antibacterials. But on the whole probiotics have helped me yes.
  • Posted

I had that, I had had gerd for years. I found out I wasn't absorbing properly and I had low serum iron, low b12, low folic acid and a few other things but those were the main things apart from the low thyroid and adrenals that gave me the shortness of breath. I was laid up on a sofa for ages befoe I got full iron study and proper blood tests and eventually built up my reserves. I am still chronicly ill but my reflux went once i went gluten free and i don't need to yawn for deep breath since i got my nutrients up. You don't have to be showing up as anaemic. Get full iron study and folate and b12 taken. Most UK b12 ranges are too low too. 

Good luck. It takes ages to build up the nutrients.

x

• Posted

Hi ladydawn

I was also suspecting that but I have been taking multivitamins in a regular basis. How did you realise that you were down on them when that didn't show up in the test.

That's so good now that you can breathe. Has the problem completely gone away?

Thanks for the info. I will ask my doctor to get a detailed test done too.

• Posted

Gu zohra yes 

I have been on all the PPis, omeprazole, pantoprazole, and the more modern one which name I forget :O. I found out about my deficiencies because my legs started dancing, my thyroid forum thought it was that, and suggested I took t3 thyroid hormone because of my hypothyroidism, it crashed my adrenals (I later found out I  have Addison's disease). The doctors took a more in depth look at my bloods. The size of my blood cells on average had appeared normal because some were too big b12 ande folate deficiency and some were too small iron deficiency. The restless legs were the iron deficiency and the worse thing you can do is take t3 with low iron and low cortisol. Anyway long story short taken me years to get out of bed to be able to sit a while. I do have asthma but the inhalers are working again but I still get breathless on exertion but nothing like I was laid on the sofa yawning for deep breathing. Multivits wouldn't have touched my deficiencies, I am still fighting to keep them up to par and they are always slipping, I have to be monitored regularly. OF course that is part of my illness the malabsorption which incidentally can be caused by PPis. If you have GERD you could easily be intolerent to gluten and or lacose too. 

My low nutrients showed up in specific tests not in the usual nhs blood counts. Go to the facebook pages about b12 and look at the ranges they have. Interact with people with low iron, low thyroid, you have to start researching sad

Anyway hope some of what I have gives you a place to start asking for tests.

big hugs

Dawn

• Posted

Again sorry about typos, don't know what that Gu is about at the beginning cheesygrin
    • Posted

Hi ladydawn

yes I will definitely look in to all of them. You are right I also have to check if I have gluten problems. Being breathless is such a scary thing to go through and nobody can understand that except us. I already started on the lactose.

Thank you soo much for your help smile

• Posted

No problem Zohra

You are right about that, I don't think there is anything scarier. 

God bless, and I really hope you get relief soon smile

• Posted

I would recommend that you have your breathing assessed by a respiratory physiotherapist to check for hyperventilation syndrome.  There is a strong argument for digestive problems including reflux to be secondary to hyperventilation syndrome, So definitely worth checking out.  The need to yawn frequently is often a symptom of hyperventilation syndrome.  And if it turns out it is hyperventilation syndrome not only is it easy to fix (through breathing retraining) but it will make a huge difference in many areas of your life and give you heaps more energy.  So definitely worth checking out.  All the best with this.
    • Posted

Hi Angela

I went to about three doctors who did all my lung tests and I used to hyper ventilate because of which I ended up in the ER. But now I seem to have some control over it when I have my reflux in control by heavy dose of antacids. But I feel it's somehow linked to my acidity as whenever I eat fried or spicy food it gets worse

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.