• Posted

Hi Cheryl

there is help for you if you want to come off these drugs

there is a forum that wil help you

just google benzo forum and you will find it

Good luck

i am benzo free now almost 2 years

• Posted

Left sided headaches whole head today. Went to hospital nothing wrong. How long were your withdrawels
    • Posted

How long is a piece of string smile

Everyones taper is different and to be honest i cant remember

you just have to take your time.

It is not a race and dont forget. Your taper is your taper.

There are no two people who are the same.

smile

• Posted

Oh  dear Cheryl i didnt mean to upset you. And you were not bothering me at all.

It is just that i really can not remember how long it took me as it took me more than one attempt to taper off my benzo.

i wasnt a member of a forum and was given the wrong advice by my doctor who hadnt got a clue how to taper .

When i joined the forum. It was then that i managed to do my taper safefully.

Hope this  helpssmile

• Posted

hi cheryl a couple of questions and i could advise you as i have done this. how much was you taking as this makes a big difference to how long and did you taper or did you dr just take you off it which they really shoiuldnt do.

if you were only on 1 or 2 mg a day it wont be tto bad i would suggest tapering off over about 12-20 weeks depending on how  you do.

also there is the diazaepam replacement taper which works for some people but you may not want to complicate things by taking another drug that can make you drowsy and is nowhere near as effective as ativan ( lorazapam ) and is weaker bin its effect.

• Posted

Ashley sad thing is my mother put me on this 25 years ago she was in the medical field when she was dying and just tell me what something to calm my nerves and when she passed away I realize that I was addicted so one milligram a day
    • Posted

hi cheryl, if youve only been taking 1 mg that is quite a low dose, so can do this, you need to have a sympathetic dr who is also benzodiazapine awere or has somw experience of coming off them.

if youve allready come off it and coped this far stay off it, but the withdrawel will last longer i couldnt say varies from person to person could be 1 month could be 4 months or more.

if you are still taking it then this is only a suggestion but here is how i did it from ½ mg ( i stopped from a ½ over about 7 weeks but was only taking it on and off for a year originally 2-3 a day stopped for about 6 weeks then started taking 1 mg a day then stopped again over christmas for about 4 weeks had 3 days of bad withdrawel, then started taking it again but just a  ½ mg for the last six months )

first week

1,  1,  1,  just a ½,  1,  1,  just a ½

second week

1,  1,  ½,  1,  ½,  1,  ½

next two weeks

½,  1,  ½,  1,  ½,  1,  ½

½,  1,  ½,  ½,  1,  ½,  ½

week 5

½,  ½,  ½,  0,  ½,  ½,  0

week 6

½,  ½,  0,  ½,  0,  ½,  0

next two weeks

0,  ½,  0,  ½,  0,  ½,  0

0,  ½,  0,  0,

you can take the occasional ½ or stop now

• Posted

la12  I am not an expert at tapering.

You may have done it this way, but i can assure you that this is not

really the best way or correct way to taper off any benzo.

Your brain doesnt know whether it is coming or going by alternating drug dosage.

i suggest that anyone that is considering coming off benzos to find help

and i have yet to find a doctor that knows how to taper. Hence i found the forum that i belong to. There are thousands of  people who have/are tapering . People from all over the world as they also can not get help by doctors.

• Posted

tootsie58 i understand and appreciate your concerns, evidence has shown that certainly the majority of people have some trouble coming off benzodiazapenes, especially at the higher doses, one wonders how they ever got onto these doses in the first place as i find most  dr are very reluctant to go any where near benzo’s these days, unlike 10-15 years ago.

It was only a suggestion from my own experience, and 1 mg a day is a lowish dose and it is doable in this time frame, I think some of the se tapers that go on for months or years do more harm than good, but are certainly necessary for heavy users.

Your probably right about the last week or two of the suggested taper as with lorazepam having roughly a 12 hour ½ life it’s a bit up and down, I could probably have stopped at week six.

I know you can get a pharmacy to give a solution of lorazepam for a slower taper but when i discussed this with my dr he wasn't interested, so I was on my own and ½ was the only option. When I got down to < 3 mg a week he gave me 3-4 mg a day of diazepam to help me taper off the last bit, but to be honest this actually made me feel ten times worse and i dumped that about a week and a ½  after finishing the lorazepam.

best wishes 3="" mg="" a="" week="" he="" gave="" me="" 3-4="" mg="" a="" day="" of="" diazepam="" to="" help="" me="" taper="" off="" the="" last="" bit,="" but="" to="" be="" honest="" this="" actually="" made="" me="" feel="" ten="" times="" worse="" and="" i="" dumped="" that="" about="" a="" week="" and="" a="" ½ ="" after="" finishing="" the="" lorazepam.=""  best="">

best wishes>

• Posted

also i came up with this taper as it is more of a gradual reduction with one reduction fading into the next, and not a stepwise taper where you drop a % and then try and stabilise at the lower dose, which i think just drags things out. you can play around with this for higher doses and cut to the next lower dose over a longer time frame as well to make it more gradual.
    • Posted

Need some help here. So depressed and doctors wont help. I have to taper off 1mg after 25 years. Because of the worst headaches from ativan and ativan has made me sick also crying all the time severe depression social anxiety cfs you name it. I am hurting so bad tonight and nobody cares or understands my pain
    • Posted

I understand your pain,I have withdrawn from Klonopin and now I am still having horrible withdrawals from zyprexa,I know how u feel I am going through it right now as we speak,I feel like no one cares also,but God does,pray and hang in there as best u can,I know it's very hard .🐸🐸

• Posted

hi cheryl a couple of questions and i could advise you as i have done this. how much was you taking as this makes a big difference to how long and did you taper or did you dr just take you off it which they really shoiuldnt do.

if you were only on 1 or 2 mg a day it wont be too bad i would suggest tapering off over about 12-20 weeks depending on how  you do.

also there is the diazaepam replacement taper which works for some people but you may not want to complicate things by taking another drug that can make you drowsy and is nowhere near as effective as ativan ( lorazapam ) and is weaker in its effect.

• Posted

Sorry for butting in here but if I  was you Cheryl i would get tapering advise from

those that know about it. This is why i have never given tapering advice to any one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.