Connecting the dots

Posted , 7 users are following.

Just recieved a note from my GP telling me to come in for my 6 monthly Prolia injection.

I've previously raised the possible link between Prolia (denosumab) for osteoporosis and autoimmune disease on this forum. I'm becomming even more convinced it could be likely.

Is it a coincidence I am just starting to feel better than I have since diagnosis 8 months ago?

- Is it the month off work I just had?

- Is my PMR going into remisssion after only 8 months?

- Or could it be that the Prolia is wearing off ?

Is it a coincidence that i only got sick after I had my first Prolia injection?

Side effects of Prolia include (and yes I'm pulling out all the relevant ones):

- back pain

- pain in the arms and legs

- bone, joint and muscle pain

- weakened/impaired immune system

- fatigue

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

flipover, forgive me if im wrong, as a newbie, BUT those symptoms sound like PMR to me.

Before the bone cancer scare i had thats just how i felt.?

for years i used walk one and half miles to work inall weathers, even up to my knees some winters, and nobody could tell me why, only that im was in the change, yes that old story.

Then somebody must have seen the light after my daughter in law suggested they test me for PMR end of story. Have a good day

• Posted

"PMR" is just a name for the symptoms of an underlying problem and is just a description of them: many painful muscles. The PMR we discuss on here is one which responds to a moderate dose of pred and can be managed fairly well using it until the underlying cause burns out and goes into remission - which it does sooner or later in a majority of cases. It isgenerally  characterised by inflammation which is reflected in raised ESR and CRP values and that is what the pred relieves - but you can have the symptoms without any inflammation, there is another cause.
  • Posted

I suppose it is possible that the Prolia was the final straw for your autoimmune system and PMR was the result - but I'm not sure there is any way of saying it makes it worse without having another shot! Catch 22!

Mind you, there are probably hundreds of drugs for which these are side-effects. Seven days of a statin had me in a far worse state than I'd been in a major PMR flare a couple of months before! 

• Posted

Forgot to say - if you had inflammation and pred relieves the symptoms then I'd plump for autoimmune PMR (for which Prolia MAY have been the final straw for your immune system) rather than it being side-effects of the drug. But I might be totally wrong!
    • Posted

Eileen,

My husband who has heart disease has tried most of the statin drugs without success. They all act adversely on his muscles (or does it like PMR act on the soft tissue (fascia)? Because of his experience with shortened muscles, he knows a lot about what to do to recover from these muscle issues which has helped me a lot.

I have to wonder if the duration of time I spent taking osteoporosis drugs isn't what led to my PMR. No one knows what causes PMR, but drugs like Prolia and Forteo mess with the body chemistry. Before osteoporosis, I had no health issues what so ever. I also eat healthy, avoid caffeine, never smoked, exercise regularly. This has been a normal way of living since I was in my early 20's.

• Posted

Flipdover, anything is possible, it could be a coincidence or it could be the month off work.  The Denosumab could have been the final trigger to a sequence of events resulting in PMR.  But even if Denosumab isn't actually causing your pain, it could just be aggravating it.  I have a friend who has tried various bone protection meds, including Donosumab, and all have caused pain in various parts of her body.  She is now about to be prescribed daily Forteo injections for two years - they cost an arm and a leg and the consultant has to seek special permission to prescribe.  However, I am hopeful that this finally works for her as she has osteoporosis - it certainly worked for my elderly aunt a few years ago.
  • Posted

Dear Flipdover,

Prolia is the last osteoporosis drug I took (after Actonelle and Forteo) before I contracted an osteonecrotic (dead bone) spot in my jaw. This occured in sprint 2014 and I did not show symptoms of PMR until November 2015. I am not on any osteoporosis drugs at this time. I just take calcium and try to walk every day for 40-60 minutes.

The best way to know if you have PMR is to try the prednisone low dose treatment for two weeks (under a good rheumatologist's precise directions) to see if you pains and fatigue go away.

The drugs for osteoporosis can have rare side effects (like osteonecrosis) and your ordinary doctors will not recognize these problems easily. Your best bet is to see a rheumatologist in a teaching / research hospital or center where they and their colleagues see many patients with PMR and rare side effects from osteopororic drugs. 

I am also worried that Prolia which interferes with the complete cycle of bone growth and replacement might be building inferior bone mass that might cause additional problems.

As patients, we often do not get the complete picture on these powerful (and risky) drugs.

• Posted

Sorry for the confusion people. There's no doubt I haver PMR, that's not what this post was about. I was speculating that the Prolia had either contributed and/or presented with similar symptoms which led me to believe the PMR was in fact worse than it was. Eg, the pain was from the Prolia as well as PMR. i was also speculating that I feel better as the effects of the Prolia wear off - it's been 7 months since the last injection and coincidently, I'm feeling significantly better.

I will be advising my GP that I won't be continuing with the Prolia - and as it is only being administered as a precaution I don't feel the need to replace it with something else. I'm not comfortable with the side effects.

I had an immediate and painful reaction to statins the one time I went on them - not only did my brain turn into mush, but the pain in my legs was incredible. Not doing that again either!

• Posted

Snap on statins Flip - one week was a week too much on statins! At least our brains weren't mushed enough to realise what it was! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.