hyperthyroid with perfume sensitivity

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone have sensitivity to perfume, cleaning agents, air freshener?

Since becoming hyperthyroid an taking PTU i have become very sensitive to perfumes etc. Its so bad that i can barely leave the house and have to wear a mask if and when i do. The slightest amount of prrfume worn by someone triggers breathlessness, headache, loss of hearing, faintness, blurry vision, feeling like i will collapse, tingling running up a down legs like adrenaline release, feeling of bugs crawling on skin, stomach pain, palpitations. This triggers off with my daughter using any shampoo for women as it contains perfume. Im also get like this with dust. It driving me mad as i cant work out whats causing it.

i got tested for lyme disease and the results came back positive, but a couple of people i know that have thyroid problems also have problems with perfume. I cant work out if the thyroid ot lyme is causing this. If its the thyroid i can get it removed and i will start treatment for lyme hopefully next week

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I believe this is due to your depleted immune system which now needs boosting as you have become very sensitive to the chemicals and additives in products I'd recommend l carnetine supplements - many thyroid patients on this forum are taking it alongside their thyroid medication with excellent results - magnesium and selenium are also important - as is diet- one rich in greenery and fresh fruit and cutting down on sugar but avoiding fake sugars such as aspartame in diet products will also help. Hope you find this useful. Best wishes.
  • Posted

My doctor told me that with many autoimmune diseases, such as graves, it is common to have sensitivities. Allergies are common, and being sensitive to chemicals is pretty common too. I just look at it as a strange benefit. It just forces you to avoid more chemicals which really aren't good for anyone. Maybe we are less likely to have cancer later in life because we don't expose ourselves to as many chemicals.
  • Posted

Hello , I am sensitive to perfumes and aerosols. Nothing like you experience I hope you get it sorted. I'm hypothyroid on levo. If someone walks past me on the street wearing perfume I can really smell it and start sneezing. If I'm in a room with it or if someone sprays an aerosol I get watery itchy eyes my throat swells up my inner ear itches, I've even found it difficult to breathe in certain circumstances. I only use roll on .

• Posted

I have just seen your posting. I hope that it is not too late to respond. YES I too have got these problems and it is particularly bad today. I have sub clinical hyperthyroidism and 20 nodules on the thyroid. I have been diagnosed with q gluten, wheat, soy, yeast and cows milk intlerance.

Please could you let me know how you are and what if anything has been done about your hypersensitive/allergic reaction to these chemcals you have identified.

I will try to find out from someone wh I know has or had Lyme disease from a tick bite if he experienced the same/similar reaction as you.

Kind regards

Jean

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.