Shouldn't I be better than this?

Posted , 12 users are following.

hello everyone  I'm on holiday in Italy 12 weeks post op. I have been doing all my exercises but 8 days into my holiday I now have problems walking and pain down my thigh. I have been walking a mile four times a day into the town and a bit of wandering round the shops and swimming. I still am unable to weight bear without using a stick. I'm now getting really worried I have something wrong with implant. Anyone have ideas or comments for me please?

3 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sounds like you have just been doing too much, maybe you should just rest for a day and let your body recover, you have had a major operation, and probably have done too much.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday but slow down smilesmilesmile

• Posted

Hi Gillian

Do you think you may have been overdoing things? What type of swimming are you doing? I'm nearly 6 months post op but still get quite a lot of pain if I overdo it. 

I was told never to swim breast stroke , but as I can't do anything else I do it very cautiously. Although I love wandering around shops I find I still have more pain than walking slowly than  if I'm walking briskly. 

Hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday. It is still fairly early days for you yet. I've just been told it can take up to a year to fully recover so maybe you should have a few more restful days. 

• Posted

Sounds to me as if you're doing far too much walking. I'd really cut back on it.

Good luck.

• Posted

A mile four times daily sound like a lot. Think you need à day on a sunbed with a good book. I'm only 4 weeks post op today so just surmising. But think you really need some R&R.
  • Posted

A mile four times a day= four miles a day, plus swimming, plus wandering around shops, plus exercises...I woud be in pain as well !!! Take a day off and lye down with a good book, The pain it's your body telling you to slow down.

• Posted

Gillian, are you saying that you haven't been able to weightbear since your op or just recently.

i am at 14 weeks and today I have been in a shed roof cutting a hedge.

we went away in our campervan for 3 weeks when I was St 10 weeks and I had to gomundervthe van,lift gas bottles etc and my muscles, thighs, lower back, hip, know about it. I am very aware of the muscles in my hip at pres as they are building back up and my calves have been sore , building up muscles I haven't used for ages.

if you haven't been able to weight bear since your op go back to your surgeon. 

If you think you have done something, have pain and can't weightbear go back to your surgeon.

if you have just over exercised, pull back , rest, ice etc .

• Posted

Maybe your doing too much walking too soon. I bet you're body is trying to get your attention saying , Hello, I'm trying to heal here, take it a little more readily. Hugs to you xxxx
  • Posted

Dear gillian ..  

I agree ... you are on vacation, darling - so enjoy, relax and take it easy ... go for a little walk and dip in the pool without swimming or something ...

you are doing too much and as said, your body is letting you know ...

Ciao bella

be gentle with your self -  

• Posted

Thank you all for your replies. I think it is doing too 

much walking but I expected to be pretty much back to normal life at twelve weeks, perhaps that's too high an expectation although lots of people seem to be even earlier. I was walking around at home with no sticks before I came away but not doing four miles a day I guess. Our hotel is only B&B so if I want to eat I have to do the walk.

• Posted

Options:

1.Getting food delivered to your B&B

2. Asking the B&B manager to give you a lift/collect food for you.

3.Get a taxi

Where about in Italy are you? If you explain your problem to a restaurant manager and  you book all your meals in his restaurant, he'll collect you with his car or he will put in touch with his best friend who happens to be a taxi driver. I am Italian...I know how things work over there... biggrin

• Posted

If the pain is recent I would think that you have been overdoing it. After all it takes around a year for us to really recover. I was reminded of this by my physio the other day. Just slow up for a couple of days and see if that helps
  • Posted

Thank you all for your helpful comments. Have rested on a sunbed for two days and it's getting easier. Am I being so unrealistic to expect full recovery after 12 weeks?
    • Posted

In a word YES, this operation can take 9 to 12 months for your body to get over. It's a bit by bit and everyone is different excercise... 12 weeks just isn't long enough to "get over" the operation, but you do feel a lot better and start to do normal things. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.