Ruptured achilles 2 weeks in

Posted , 7 users are following.

i ruptured my achilles 2 weeks ago, i am in a moon boot and been told no weight bearing for these two weeks. Will i be allowed to walk on this soon ??

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear this Allison.

Have you had the op or are you going to heal natually? Either way, I am afraid it's a long healing process. It's taken me 13 weeks to start walking after an op. However I've heard it can be quicker.

Wishing you a speedy recovery

dom

• Posted

Not had the op dom,although theyve said if this doesnt work i may still need the op, im keeping fingers crossed though. Its a long haul isnt it
  • Posted

i was like you. i am now 4 weeks post op and due to go into the boot tomorrow but have a further two weeks with no weight bearing. my advice is either way do not rush it and follow your doctor. nothing worse than a re rupture
    • Posted

The boot is not too bad to have on but it is heavy to hold up when hopping around . I have a walking frame to help me get around. But im not able to do very much
  • Posted

I have not had the op. Im going down the non surgical route hopefully, if it works . Im not due back at hospital for another 4 weeks , i have physio and occupational therapist visiting at home and will ask them but just wondered about others experiences . Cant wait to put sone weight on this so i can get about more before i put on more weight !
  • Posted

Join the patience learning club.. you'll get there, but it takes longer than you expect I'm afraid.. but you WILL get there
  • Posted

went to docs today and he said i could start weight bearing in it. such a dream come true. eight more weeks but feel like i am getting there now. patience and eating correctly seem to have helped me
    • Posted

I bet youre glad. Ive not had op and have boot on but not weight bearing yet so i hope its not long for me either. Have u been told how long u will be off work?
    • Posted

He didnt want me at work until it is fixed, but i know people go back to work depending on their job. right now it is the 6 week hols for me so no impact at all. except for not going on holiday myself sad
    • Posted

I went back to work as soon it was partial weight bearing, after 5 weeks. I've a desk job, but the firm obviously missed me (small company) and did an evacuation plan, and lent me an automatic company car to get in (15 mile comute) as left foot couldnt do the clutch.
  • Posted

Hi Allison, 

Well I am 8 weeks post op and walking in a boot and one crutch. There is nothing fast about this recovery at all. Hang in there it will get better.

• Posted

Allison. I am 10 weeks post injury. No operation. Was in a boot from 3 days post accident. Partial weight bearing from 3 weeks and full weight bearing after 4 weeks. Boot came off after 7 weeks and walked with crutch for 1 week and then no support since then. Walking with a limp and doing exercises instructed by physio for achilles stretching and calf muscle rebuild. It is a long process, but I played 7 holes of golf yesterday and could have done more but need to take it easy to ensure a steady recovery. Keep your spirits up, your leg up whenever you can to reduce swelling and blod clots. Are you taking blood thinners? If not, demand these from your medical team.
    • Posted

I think its a big age thing; the younger you are, the quicker things heal; and also the general fitness levels too. I'm 65, and a couple of months in the boot seems pretty much the standard for me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.