Crutches?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Ok, two questions in a row... I must be greedy!

I asked my doctor how long I should be on crutches from my op. (I'm having 4 prodecures done) He told me most people only use them for one or two days! This seems like an stupidly short time! So I was wondering how long you guys are/were on crutches for?

Thanks!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I used them for about four days round house with heel shoe but when outside find they were better for first couple of weeks as was getting more tired or maybe just pushing myself too much. They definitely take weight off foot and help with balance
  • Posted

Hi Jennifer,

I only had a bunion removed on each foot but I am 4 weeks post op now and still use my crutches or one crutch if I take my dog out. I could probably do without them but I am worried about falling. I did have a wheelchair but only because I have a dog and it meant I could go with everyone on the walks. I'm gonna give the chair back this week and start walking more.

Elevating your foot is a must and really good advice from Barbara. Hope this helps.

• Posted

I used mine for about one week then went down to one when I was out. But personally I found most of my pain was the first couple of days only. Good luck x
  • Posted

I don't think doctors know much about recovery, and each person and op is different, but you will need to use the crutches for balance and relief of strain on your foot.  I would say you'll use them for a few weeks or more.  It also helps people know you e to be cared for, and you can stave off anyone that might accidental step on or near your foot.  This is a serious op.  Recovery is long and slow.  Be prepared!
  • Posted

I used a walker for about a week and a half.  It really made getting around so much easier.
  • Posted

Hi. I used them for a few weeks outside but not at all around the house. I found I was too slow outside without them due to not being able to roll my foot forwards at first but I made sure that I kept increasing the amount of weight that I took on my bad foot day by day rather than keeping the foot totally off the ground when using the crutches. I also found that I gradually increased the amount by which I could roll the foot forwards which meant that my bad foot could take a more and more active role in walking. Like Barbara, I found the crutches useful as a warning to other people to make them more careful of my foot!
  • Posted

I didn't even get crutches given!!

Luckily my friend had some that I borrowed

I used them for about 5 days

• Posted

Jennifer

i used them for 4- 6 weeks, i had both feet done at once, and i needed them constantly for the first 2 weeks.

they were great for poking at things, prodding the husband when he fell asleep, helping to close curtains, tripping people over, walking like a goriila (arms forward, bottom stuck out) and for gaining sympathy.

Caroline

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.