Para-esophageal hernia repair with Nissen Fundoplication

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi tomorrow will make 1 week since I had this surgery. It was definately 'time'. I've suffered from GERD for over 10 years. For the last two years I've had to double up on my medication and it still didn't work. I was popping Tumms during the night like crazy. Nothing worse than having the acid come all the way up into the back of your throat! I'm still mostly on a full liquid diet but slowly adding in soft foods. So far eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese work ok. I tried Pancakes but that was a no go.

My question is how long does it take for the distension in the abdomen to go down? I had taken a pair of pants to the hospital that were a good size to big and when I left I couldn't even zip them up. I've been wearing excersise pants with an elastic waist.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I have not had that surgery, however I would imagine that there is going to be some general swelling just from the trauma of the surgery itself.  Did you have any previous issues with excess gas or burping a lot before the surgery?
  • Posted

Hi, my wife had this op in 2012. She bloated up for up to a week after the surgery. The surgeons inflate your stomach as it makes the surgery easier to perform. It's a very long process to get back to where you need to be. Unfortunately the Nissen was too tight originally and she couldn't swallow properly. They had to do a further op to release some of the stitches. She still gets ill, but nowhere near as often as before. She still has episodes when she eats certain foods, and if she is under any type of stress. However, before the op her dentist had said that the acid she brought up was attacking her teeth, and the doctor had also explained that the stomach lining is built to hold acid whereas the aesophegus isn't. She also had acid marks on her face from when she had vomited. The Nissen has improved this and after nearly 9 years of observation of her condition, it is my view that the stress is actually the larger factor than the type of foods she eats. I know that this isn't the case for everyone but stress is certainly a factor. She now eats more frequently than me for someone of petit build you would be amazed at what she can eat in a day. It is her belief that as long as her stomach isn't empty she's fine. She would generally get ill in the mornings which is probably the longest time your body has without food because you've just slept for 8 hrs.

On a positive, she's just completed her first month in full time work, which wouldn't have been possible before. Keep your chin up and take things slowly. Eat little and often and know that it's a marathon, not a sprint. Good luck and best wishes.

• Posted

Oh yes, dentists know and my dentist gave me the same warnings. I'm pretty convinced now that my sleep apnoea was caused by the acid too. It's disappeared since the op and this has been a huge surprise. I wonder how many others with this problem have acid as the root cause (I did some Googling yesterday and it's definately linked). My GP never made any connection in the past. I also wonder how many other malady's are caused by acid. There are a whole range of symptoms mentioned as related to Hiatus hernia or GERD by fellow sufferers on this forum
  • Posted

I left hospital wearing the same stuff I went in with (more or less) so guess you are just taking a little longer. I took up running about 2 months after my op. Not recomending anyone else do this,by the way. but, I'm now up to 6k and no problems. I've a10 mile run booked in late October and that is what I'm aiming for as a post-op goal. The 8 kilos I lost post-op (through being on liquids) have gone back on now sad but all else is good.

Please keep us posted on your progress

• Posted

Well I got on crop pants today that I was able to wear before the surgery! Yeah! They had been loose in the waist to that's probably why I can wear them. I've had problems with gas like burping in the past and luckily I have been able to burp since the surgery maybe just not as much. I can't believe how the lap scars are healing so nicely. There are two that are still sore. One on my sternum and the other in the left uppper quadrant of the abdomen (I'm assuming that's where they did the majority of the stomach repair.)
    • Posted

The big 10mm scar is the camera and another is for the tool that holds the liver up and out of the way. I've watched lots of videos on youtube. I'm still a bit in awe of what they do. How they have to burn through from compartment to compartment.I hope they closed the compartmentdoors on the way out.  It's like watching an Indianna Jones
  • Posted

I can totally relate to your wifes condition, 3 months now since i had the full wrap and repair of hiatus hernia. I am not doing too well, still having the burning and am still taking my PPI's I don't know if they help much, but atleast it helps me eat a little bit. the Esophagus feels like it still sore, and I often get this full feeling and no appetite, I too am of very small build, and have lost even more weight since the surgery. My main problem is Stress, and depression.

• Posted

Hi Brinal, stress and depression can be symptoms of your gut microbiome being out of balance. All the little bugs, microbes and bacteria in our gut influence our mental and physical health in a big way. A good probiotic and lots of fermented foods like sourkrout can help get your gut healthy again.

All the best for Xmass.

• Posted

Merry Christmas to you too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.