Some sort of nerve irritation or compression affecting side of head

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, looking for thoughts on this or anyone else experiencing it. 

This is not something new, but it is worse right now. I get a tingling/numb feeling in the side of my head/scalp. Above my ear & back a little, up to almost the top of my head on just the left side, sometimes I feel it a little in the side of my forehead/face. When I touch the area, or tense up the muscles like raise my eyebrows, the tingling sensation shoots through there or almost feels like the muscle is tensing up. When I run my fingers through my hair, it tingles & feels partially numb.

This was happening at least a year ago in the same spot (smaller portion) and my chiropractor told me it was due to my sinuses being clogged and putting pressure on the nerve. He ran some sort of vibrating thing over my face and head to break the stuff in my sinuses loose, and I have to say it seemed to help a little. 

Now it's back with a vengeance today. I know this must be what it is, but it's certainly freaking me out, been doing it all day long from the time I woke up. I could have neck issues adding to it, I probably need to see the chiropractor soon again. 

Thoughts??? It's driving me crazy and I don't know what to do to make it stop! I don't want to take any medication unless its a simple over the counter thing or something natural.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You could always ask your pharmacist for advice or your GP.
  • Posted

Chiropractor won't do. Anything if you think it's the neck compression that tends to affect the hands and fingers. The nerve could be the sinus' or trigeminal Neuralgia which can affect the face over the ear and radiates into the eye.. Numbness tingling and into the teeth which feels like toothache. If your is sinusitis you need anti inflammatories like burden and antibiotics amoxicillin.. There will be a feeling of heaviness under the eyes and arounud the back of the nose.. Could be hay fever.. Pollen allergy try anti allergy over the counter like sinnutab or Piriton. Best of luck! Try crushed ice packs wrapped in a clean tea towe lay on your face.
  • Posted

Thanks smile It's not painful, it's just the constant tingling sensation. I've been taking a daily allergy pill (zyrtec) for 18 years so I know my sinuses feel off right now but the pill dries everything out in there, I think it adds to the problem some days... 
  • Posted

I had a similar thing years ago except mine was in the right side. It kind if felt like thousands of little pins sticking into my head all at once. But i couldnt brush my hair or anything. Turned out to be occipital neuralgia. I was put on carbamazapine and it resolved after a couple of months

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.