Bunion surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

i,m 2 days post bunion surgery. I was told to wear a surgical boot every time I need to go to the loo and use a crutch. This is a real challenge as putting the boot on causes so much pain. I can do without any added pain. Could I get away without the boot on short trip to loo. As early days am in bed with leg raised and regular ice packs together with pain killers but must say still pretty painful. Any advice please? 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Trust me the pain without the shoe is greater. The pain when putting on the boot doesn't last many days but putting your foot directly on the floor will actually hurt more. I tried it!! Never repeated it. I have had both feet done (February and May) and neither of them were still agony after a week. Chin up and solider on it will be worth it xx
    • Posted

Thanks Sally.guess I.ll just have to grin & bear it. Your brave having both done in such a short space of time..with the pain I.m experiencing there is no way I would go through this again.
    • Posted

I thought that to begin with, by the time I saw the surgeon at 4 weeks post op the pain was so much better. 

I did literally only have my boot on when I was standing. It was always off when I was sitting down. 

• Posted

Taking complete bed rest with foot elevated at the moment only getting up for the loo so only using boot occasionally. Was told to only use it when attempting to walk
    • Posted

Your doing brilliantly. I had my second foot done on the Saturday and hubby had to go back to work on the Tuesday so I had to everything for myself it definitely made it ache more. Bed rest is definitely the best x
  • Posted

The boot will protect your foot in case you bump it. I felt the same way about the pain with the boot on and did leave it off from time to time for relief in the beginning. My first foot was done last year and looks/feels great so no harm done, in my opinion. Having said that, don't make it a habit. Good luck getting through the first week post-op.
    • Posted

Foot really throbs when I get up and is even more painful when I put the boot on. I want to do everything right to aid my recovery. Thanks Melanie  great to know you had a good result.I know it's early days just have to be patient .
  • Posted

Sadly I would put the boot on for any walking at the moment. I found the boot really annoying but persevered. I kept on top of the paracetamol and ibroprufen in the first week to make sure I managed the pain. It seemed to work. It will get better. I am still wearing the heavy black boots 4 weeks on although I hate them .
  • Posted

I don't know what type of op you've had but particularly if it is a bone fusion do not I repeat do not ever walk without your boot ever while doing anything or you may cause untold damage.  I have had both feet done one year apart and both times I have been told this is imperative.  I actually had a bucket next to the bed both times for the first two weeks, gross I know but I would have woken the whole house up with my weak bladder by getting up at least a couple of times a night with my crutches to the floor.  My mum looked after me for the first few weeks and this was her first job in the morning, move he bucket and bring me coffee.  Stay in bed as long as you can for your first two weeks at least.  Good luck.
  • Posted

Really it is not worth not putting the boot on, the implications are serious, if you have had any type of pin, screw or plate fitted. The pain now will quickly diminsh, take your pain killers regularly, ice,elevate and rest. It will pay off.

• Posted

You,ve convinced me to wear the boot at all times except rest.!

How long will the throbbing continue. I know everyone is different.it doesn't throb  as much when I,m resting. Also how long shall I continue with the painkillers.Am at the hospital on Monday for a dressing change so hopefully I,ll find out more then. 

• Posted

With both of my feet I didn't really take painkillers for more than a week. And was a lot more comfortable x
    • Posted

My feet throb and swell if I have stood or walked for too long. I'm 4.5 weeks post double bunionectomy. I've had no pain killers for 2 weeks. I might've stopped earlier but people had scared me about the pain do I carried on taking paracetamol. I did take ibroprufen for a week but it made me sick. Maybe reduce painkillers a bit and see how it goes?
    • Posted

I was prescribed a weeks worth of co-codamol, maximum strength Ibuprofen  and an anti sickness drug Metopramide Hydrochloride so I will continue taking them until my hospital visit. I still need them at the moment anyway! 

Think i,m expecting too much to soon.

• Posted

I wish I'd had the anti sickness drug! I had co codamol for 1day, felt dizzy and sick. Dr gave me tramadol instead which made me feel worse so I stopped all prescribed drugs on day 3. I felt 100% better as soon as I did that and the pain was fine with just ibroprufen and paracetamol. (Although ibroprufen made me a bit sick as well but I hadn't read the instructions on dosage and was overdosing)

Everyone is different though so it's what you can tolerate . 😃

• Posted

I would carry on for the 2 weeks longer if you need them. I can't take ibuprofen but it will help with the swelling. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.