Need consoling from my PMR group

Posted , 13 users are following.

hi y'all as we say in Texas... I was telling you the Prednisone was making my esophagus irritated, and my Thoracic spine hurts, I thought from leaning to pick up something in car...

Rheumy had me get chest X-ray and spine...

they just called...

said I show moderate COPD and some Osteoarthritis in spine.

I do NOT smoke, I hate cigarets , I avoid people who smoke like the plague!!!  

Can the PMR be related? Did it show up because of my new issues?  

Last year I did tell primary doc that my throat sometimes feels like feathers, she laughed at me.  We assumed allergies.

oh, how I hope they are wrong.  I have call in to primary now.

i just want to cry.  I'm 54. Always been healthy. I don't caugh, I don't live in bad environment, in fact I live in the country, away from cities!

i did take up pastel painting for 4 years, but didn't do it much.

I could use some hugs. I'm scared. 

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Am sending a hug I have been suffering with my throat for weeks getting worse and having trouble swallowing never thought to connect it with my pmr
    • Posted

Apparently corticoid steroids can increase yeast infections and the candida CAN affect or get in our liver and lungs!!!!  My Rheumy also said my liver levels were elevated, and now I have Thrush in my mouth.

my sister said doctors don't know much about Candida/yeast.  

I just hope its reversible.  

wonder if there is a forum here for that?  I'll look. Thanks for cyber hug!

• Posted

Layne, both PMR and steriods can result in elevated liver results. In my case every single blood test taken pre and post diagnosis have resulted in elevated and odd results. My Dr is obviously concerned but until I'm on low levels of preds and this immune condition is in remission they are not panicking unless the results worsen and whilst I'm feeling ok I'm not overly worried.

i'm sure there are drugs for thrush and other yeast infections. Look up thrush online and speak with your Dr about possible medication.

regards, tina

• Posted

so sorry that you are suffering through this dilemma....Hope you will soon feel better. 
  • Posted

HUGS TO YOU BOTH.....HANG IN THERE, AND HOPEFULLY A CURE WILL BE FOUND FOR YOU.....
  • Posted

Hello layne, of course at this moment in time you are feeling scared regarding this recent diagnosis.

along with the hugs I'm sending, I also want to say that this diagnosis is not all doom and gloom. I've looked up copd and sometimes this condition can be the result of genetics and not always smoking and environmental factors.

you have only had an x ray and there are many lung conditions that can cause shadows on the lung. They may want to perform a further test whereby you breathe into a tube, the result of this test may help with a more conclusive diagnosis.

copd cannot be cured but the condition can be helped with treatment and medication so please don't panic.

It's easy for me to tell you to calm down, have all the tests and then take it from there because I would be scared too. Please keep us in the loop regarding tests and results.

hugs and kisses, tina

• Posted

Thanks Tina!

i even read if someone has a lot of mucus, it can get inhaled a lot and over time create damage in lungs... I do think I have a lot of that. I've often woke up choking when I first had PMR and it hurt to sleep on sides so I slept on back when I could sleep, ha! 

My my mom was adopted so I don't know her genetics, bummer. But she has RA and genetic ear tumors.

• Posted

Layne, I've just looked up oral thrush and there are plenty of medications used to clear up this condition that is common for those with a weaker / weakened immune system which we have due to the preds that lower our immune system.

get your Dr to prescribe some medication soon to help get it under control. Also use chlorhexidne mouth wash to help keep oral thrush at bay.

Yes thrush can spread to the lungs and liver but only in extremely ill patients, so don't worry. Just get your Dr to prescribe some medication and I'm sure that will relieve your anxiousness.

back to your lung query. Yes, even chronic bronchitis can result in copd as can bronchitasis, spelt wrong! My mother had that and actually lived with it for most of her life. She died aged 83 from peritonitis due to bowel cancer!!!

regards, tina

• Posted

Sorry layne, I got that wrong. I don't think my mother died of peritonitis? Her bowel perforated which I think is different. Regards, tina
    • Posted

So sorry about your mom.

I've never even had bronchitis.  I don't cough...

I'm taking anti fungal for Thrush...Nystatin. 

I had chest tighness from beginning on Prednisone, 20 mg was highest. 

Doctors weren't concerned. I was. Ugh. But thank you for your words and sharing. 

Layne

• Posted

Layne Many ((((((((((((Gentle Hugs))))))))))))  Regards Pat
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with COPD about l6 years ago and I did smoke

for years.  So....no surprise there....however I just use two inhalers

and it hasn't gotten any worse so if they think that see moderate

COPD it isn't hard to live with.  Hopefully they are wrong but you

can live with it for many years.

• Posted

BIG HUGS Layne. Have a cry.... no point trying not to. Might even make you feel better afterwards :-)
  • Posted

Hi laynetTX I smoked for 40 years up till 2 years ago and have mild COPD I only have to take one Inhaler on a morning and hardly ever Cough.I have been having a spoon full of Manuka Honey and Bio Live Yeogurt on a morning as I was having a problems with Irritating Esophagus,This seems to be working up to now.Regards and don't worry stress is not good for us PMR people, Look after youself. Patricia
  • Posted

dont be scard, sending lots of hugs, you will get lots of them on this site, and lots of help.

People will be along soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.