Started hydrotherapy.....love it!

Posted , 8 users are following.

So this week I started hydrotherapy. So worthwhile. I was previously a big swimmer and cyclist so they have been able to give me exercises in the water to test out how things feel. I'm glad I went because the surgeon told me I could get back on my bike but it's just not that easy. I have been twice and am going again Friday. Next week 3 more sessions. It's made me very tired and have had some extra niggles but I am finding it's very safe and heavily supervised so don't let me over do it !!!!

The kids are happy because I now have a stack of things to do in the pool so I can get in at the weekend when they do for their squads. This is another 'getting back to normal' thing as we always swim Saturday mornings as a family.

Hope everyone else is doing well with their rehab. 💌🌈💌🌈

4 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I loved hydrotherapy... It made a breakthrough difference in my recovery. So great to do movements you can't yet do 'on land' feeling weightless in water. Yeah to hydrotherapy!
  • Posted

Hi Georgie ...

Makes me want to get in to the water too ... but no hydrotherapy offered here ... 

keep going girl, you are doing great !!! 

warm hug

• Posted

Good for you, and lovely to hear that it enables you to get back to family activities.i bet the kids will keep an eye on you
  • Posted

Morning Georgie

yes, I had hydrotherapy for the first time this week and loved it.  I liked being with a group as much as anything.  There were 6 of us to 3 therapists..  essentially after walking in the water to warm up we rotated round to different positions where we did our normal exercises doing the exercises with a bit more resistance/ assistance from the water. I found them easy to be honest but I was still very tired when finished. The challenge here is finding a pool that you can walk into without climbing down a ladder. 

Xx

• Posted

I go to a public indoor pool and wade in at the kids end then duck under the lane ropes. Looking forward to using the ladder again but physio told me to wait!!
  • Posted

Hydrotherapy is a lot better than any other physio. It helps so much more being abled to excersize without weight of your upper body restricting you. I can't wait till I start mine. Glad you are enjoying it. :-)
  • Posted

Hi

I've been thinking about going to the pool to do stuff .... but not 'organised' stuff..... what exercises are good then?  Just the usual things but, er, in water?  Or are there different things that you're doing?

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Neil,

It is different as I'd usually do freestyle laps but I'm not throwing myself back in as I think I'll over do it. I start walking forwards/backwards and sideways as warm up. Then I have a physio with me doing squats, step up/down alternating legs, there are reclined chairs fixed to the poolside I lie on and do leg exercises. Yesterday she put a noodle behind my back and I did gentle kicking. I also did cycling in the water. The session is 30 minutes all up. 

I'm glad I didn't hoe straight into normal swimming because I think I'd have regretted it. I have definitely felt the exercise in my groin.

3 more sessions next week!

🏊🏊🏊🏊🏊🏊🏊🏊🏊🏊🏊🏊

• Posted

Hi georgie

i went for my second hydro yesterday, I love I, it goes so quickly. I went to a hen party in the evening, and was way up past my bedtime. Thought I would be knackered today but my back hurts more than anything (got damned o/a in spine too). 

Like you start of walking, then walking side wards, backwards. Warm up and then stand on a raised step and do back and forwards and cycling motion. I am doing quite well so they put a flipper on operated leg foot and have to do exercises with that on, gives more resistance. I absolutely love it, it helps they keep the temp  of water at 35 degrees!!  Will continue to do them in swimming pool, not swimming yet, but like you I used to go at least once a week. I was told NO BREAST STROKE LEGS!  So just want to swim!  

I bet it will be good to get back on the bike as well, I'm just thing poor old bum cheek!!  When are you allowed to cycle again? 

Good luck

Carol😄 Xx

• Posted

I was allowed to start using stationary bike at 4 weeks provided I was careful with the 90degree rule and I could get on and off it safely. 
    • Posted

Hi Carol,

i was was cleared at 3 weeks, have been on with physio this week......she put seat a little higher and I had no resistance. I nearly fell off getting on as the seat was very  high!!!!!

• Posted

When my physio first put me on bike she put a box next to it for me to get on.  Then she pulled it away.  I went out and bought one of those little plastic steps but I can't kick it away so that was a waste of time.  I just use the pedals to step up very very carefully. It does have to be very high. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.