Can someone help?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Okay, first I want to apologize for my bad English . I'm a 13 year old girl from Norway. At Easter 2015 I got hurt in the stomach and filled with red, itchy rash on the feet and legs. I was admitted to hospital where they thought I possibly had an appendicitis, after a week I felt a little better so they sent me home.

I felt good and finally rashes were quite gone, after that I had a little pain sometimes, but it was much better until about a month ago, I got the same rashes and stomach ache. we went to the doctor, where they found out I had Henoch Schonlein purpura. I had never heard of the disease before, but they could tell me that it was not dangerous in any way and that it had to go out of the body by itself.

I am a very active girl who loves to play soccer, go hiking, strength training and ride horses. but when I've hurt, I manage barely got up from the couch Now when I begin on the school I can't concentrate when my stomach hurt so much, have gym or be in the pool.

Now I've had it for 4 months and it ruins everything! And I can't imagine if this continues, I don't think I van handle it. I'm fighting with my parents and I don't even know why and I just feel like I'm a total mess!

how long will it last? and I can be active without making things worse? do you have any tips on how I should endure?

Thank you! Sincerely, a tired girl

PS. It all started with a

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yes, the HSP symptoms seems to be brought on by colds, especially sore throat.  Basically, when the body immune system kicks in and then over reacts.   Immunologist and/or Rheumotologist should be seen and should do the standard blood tests.  Sometimes drugs such as Prednisone work really well but should only be taken in a taper or large dose that gets smaller each day over about a week or two.  In my strange case, this kept happening to me and I found out I was allergic to chocolate which was causing this so every case seems to be quite unique.  Probably because HSP only describes the symptoms you get and is not connected to a specific cause (usually treatable but cause unknown).   I suggest taking it easy, seeing one (or more) different type of doctors and rotating types of allergy causing items and foods out of your diet in case that is also a problem.   If not fully rested, it's hard to get over these problem without a quick relapse (going right back into the full symptoms).   My doctors could not diagnose this so instead I used some phone ask a doctor app and sent a picture of my foot and described the symptoms.   Good luck !
  • Posted

Hello,

First of all I would say… keep calm!

Purpura is a really inconvenient disease, but I believe that, as every disease, you can handle it better if you don’t let it affect your mind.

I believe the symptoms in each person varies a lot! In my case, for example, I rarely have stomachache, but my joins get completely painful.

Are you taking any medicine? Usually what I do it is to await until the symptoms leave, and it takes up two months (in my case), if it is taking more than that, I take Predinisona, but its collateral effects are terrible, so talk with your doctor about this before asking for your parents to buy it for you!!

Be patient... I usually pray, and I can say that my faith in Jesus has helping a lot in this process, I hope you can find a solution for you case soon.

If you want just talk about it, you can count with me. I'm 29 years old, and I know very well what you are feeling.

Have a great day!

• Posted

I am so sorry to here of your illness. Are you on any medication? It is common for teenagers to fall out with parents it is perfectly natural and part of growing up. The only way you can take control is by ensuring you eat a healthy wellbalanced diet. This will help you feel better and less emotional. I am unable to say how your health will be as there is no clear answer as to how long it will take. I hope things get better for you very soon and please keep a close eye on your health.
  • Posted

My 13 year old daughter has had HSP twice now. It was very painful for her & in turn for me also. The worst thing in the world, as a parent, is feeling helpless in making your child feel better. I cried when she cried & sometimes I just sat on the couch & hugged her. She was sometimes disagreeable & crabby but she felt horrible & I understood that. We all sometimes act poorly when we do not feel well.

My daughter also has a horse & is normally active but HSP makes your body very tired & the best thing for you is rest. My daughter felt so much better & didn't hurt as much if she laid down & elevated her legs. Her doctor told her that was best for her & he was totally right. It was hard for her to lie there but it helped her heal. When she tried to be active her rash would get worse which in turn made her itch & hurt more. She took Benedryl for the itching & alternated Tylenol & Motrin every two hours for the pain. You said you are on painkillers, please make sure you take what is prescribed as you are supposed to. You can hurt yourself by taking too much medication. If what you are taking is not helping you then talk to your doctor.

HSP can last for different lengths of time for each person. My daughters lasted about two months the first time & missed many weeks of school. It came back about a month later which happens in a percentage of people. Thankfully the second time was very mild compared to the first (way less pain & never fully developed rash, & didn't miss any school). She currently has had a head cold for the past week so I'm praying that her HSP will not resurface in the next few weeks. That is my fear now each time that she gets a cold. I know I annoy her sometimes with my question of "Does anything hurt?".

I have told my daughter's story on this blog before in hopes that I could learn more about HSP & possibly help others with what helped my daughter. It is different for each person but any knowledge you can gain from others can be helpful.

Please try resting & elevating your legs to see if that helps you. You need extra rest for your body to recover & fight this disease. I pray that you feel better soon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.