Early Birthday Present

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone

After seeing so many posts on here saying how much having a recliner has helped so many with recovery and comfort I have bought myself one.

So I have a question. Did any of you have to raise it on chair rasiers or did you find you didn't have to ?

Here is a pic of the one I have bought. Got a great deal. It was priced at £400 and I got it for £120 in a sale.

3 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You will need to check the height of the chair against the measurement from the back of the knee to the floor. The chair measurement should be the greater, if not you will need to raise the chair. Check with the hospital that helped you with the aids first time round. If they are not still in place you will be getting them again
    • Posted

Hi Maggie

Yes everything that was in place from my last op is still in place they know I am coming in for the saecond op so just left everything with me.

• Posted

Wow, what a  bargain! As regards chair raisers it all depends how high the seat is and how long your legs are.  As you lower yourself into the seat are you close to or beyond your 90degrees.  I thought mine was high enough but when a friend saw me falling into it she insisted that I have someone raise it.  A good friend managed to screw the metal runners underneath onto a wooden platform.  I'm 5'8" and have fairly long legs so this has been fabulous for me. 

When will it arrive? 

X

• Posted

Hi Laura.

I thought it was a bargin I couldn't miss. I am 5' 10" and long legs too.

I am thinking of building a platform for it out of some 4" x 2" wood and some spare non slip decking boards. I think that will be more stable than raisers.

It is due to be delivred in 10 days. Just in time for my second op. I might find things more comfortable this way and can control any swelling better maybe.

• Posted

After taking the measurements I was advised to buy a booster cushion rather than raise the chair itself as raising it could cause damage to your chair. I found this an easy option. In fact ended up getting another for dining room chairs as got fed up of trying to transport the cushion from room to room when also on crutches. They can be bought quite cheaply on Amazon/eBay and have really proved to be a massive help.
    • Posted

Hi Christine

Having had a close look at the base. I was thinking of building a solid platfom for it instead of raisers at each corner. Doesn't sound safe to do that. I have some 4" x2" wood and some spare non slip decking boards I can use. I will see what the chair is like when it arrives and if I have to raise it which is more than likely. I will paint the wood black so it blends in and see how it goes.  I built a platform for the loo the Occupational therapist left here for me so I will just do the same on a bigger scale.. Thanks for the info on a booster cushion I might get one of those too .

• Posted

Yes Christine, booster cushions are great. I take mine when visiting friends (along with the loo seat in a bag ☺️). I have found raising the chair that I spend most of my time in to be better though do that arms, back support and head are all still in a good position. Not everyone has this option but my lovely friend did it for me. Have tried to attach pic but can't see how to do it. Will persevere.
    • Posted

Hi Laura

To attach a pic look at top right of  the box you put your message in. You will see 4 boxes. Click the furthest on the right and you can add a picture straight from your desk top.. Hope that helps. :-)

• Posted

Great chair , I want one it looks very comfy! 

Jx

• Posted

Hi Juliet

If you really want one. PM me and I will give you the details.x

• Posted

Hey Hailea!

You're very kind. I'm girl on benefits at the moment so you've inspired me to sell my hospital bed I had for early recovery to raise funds for a good chair. I can manage flat out on my sofa though now so am lucky to have options

Jx

• Posted

Ok no problem. I hope you find one when you are ready to buy. x
  • Posted

Flashy!! Looks super comfortable.cool
    • Posted

Hi Georgie

I can't wait to try it out. Should help with quite a few issues I had with the first hip.

• Posted

I wish I had space for one !!! congratulations ... when is your birthday ? is it electric or manual ? does it vibrate ? massage? does it come with a little man? 

love it hailea .... you are doing good girl ... 

• Posted

Hi Reenee

Thank you. You may get a place one day where you could get one. My Birthday is in the First week of September. 

The chair is manual and no Sadley there are no bells and whistles. But I am not bothred as long as I can be comfortable and it helps with the next hip and any swelling I may get. That is all that matters.

By the way new pain killers working a treat. Not been in any pain for 48 hours so hoping it will be the same for at least the next 4 weeks and then I will be in for my second hip aftermy next consultation on August 27th when my surgeon comes back from annual leave. So no more " I am in pain or something is wrong posts " redface  cheesygrin

• Posted

Hi Hailea 

Therapists often advise against manual chairs in the early months for 2 reasons.  When you pull the lever to put it up some chairs can pop out abruptly.  Be careful with this.  And then, in order to put it down, again with some chairs, you have to push with your legs. Some people on this forum have other people in the house that can push it down for them.  You are right that when you are in it, and it is up, you will be very comfy.  Just please be careful with reclining it. 

• Posted

Hi Laura

Well I was not aware of this I am almost 4 months post op and have not seen a therapist since two days before leaving the ward. I see my first one on Monday. Not that I will be able to do much probably because my right hip is so bad. But it is only an assesment to see if they will deffo be giving me hydro therapy. but because they have taken so long by the time they give me my first lesson I will probably be in having the other hip done any way. rolleyes I have two people at home to help me out if I need it. So that isn't an issue. I am also very cleaver with my crutches and I have a lot of upper body streanth. I keep saying to everyone it is my legs that are messed up the rest of me is fine.lol Thank you for the warning.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.