Exercise

Posted , 12 users are following.

Afternoon hippies and hippies to be!

stressful week (won't bore you with details lol)

brought a Fitbit on eBay, waiting for that to come, been for a little mile and a bit walk today, seeing my surgeon next Wednesday and I'm hoping that he will let me start to use my excersise bike, like probably many of you, I've put a few extra pounds on whilst not being at work etc!  

Kinda thinking I'll probably never go swimming again as my favourite stroke is breaststroke, and being competitive I know I won't settle to use another swim stroke and I'll probably forget that I can't use that stroke! 

Well I'll stop rambling on!

have a good weekend all! 

Linzi x

3 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Just curious.... why cannot you not use the brest stroke?
    • Posted

Apparently it can cause dislocation, I've read it on several forums, I'm kinda hoping it's not true and my surgeon says it's ok! It's my favourite stroke, I completed a 5km swim using all breaststroke a few years ago.....
    • Posted

well, first, kuddos to you on the 5km swim!

interesting - I had bilateral replacement  coming in at the front - the end of January -- i have one restriction from my doctor "do not do anything stupid" that does lend itself to interpretation smile He said I can ride the bike,swim, walk -- basically anything.

• Posted

Just call me porker! Have to say I worked off a few pounds in the last few weeks since the op but still got more than a few to go. I love swimmimg and found a way to breaststroke without my legs before the op. I would also like an exercise bike and I am looking on the local 'flog it' sites at the moment.
  • Posted

Îve had fitbit got three yrs.Just recently night fitbit charge HR. The HR is for heart rate.

I want to know what my heart was doing while sleeping And exercise.

• Posted

My physios say no reason at all not to swim breast stroke legs, as you are not putting the op side leg passed the midline.
  • Posted

So glad you started this thread. I have a Garmin(which is another brand of a step tracker) it will not count my steps with a walker though as a arm has to swing to count the steps. I love it though and yes I have gained some since surgery As for swimming go to the US Masters SWimmer page and browse about as many swimmers with THR are ding the breaststroke and winning awards. Also http://www.vanderbilt.edu/houseorgan/2011/01/hip-frank-lorge/

This may encourage you. All the best.

• Posted

Counting steps is good when it happens! Like your walker, my Samsung did not count me steps when using crutches.

Now crutch free it's just fine, 8012 so far today!

Mic

X

• Posted

Hi

ive just read the link, thank you for sharing that!

linzi x

• Posted

Thanks peeps! 

Ill find out more when I see my surgeon next week I guess! 

Linzi x

• Posted

I haven't been swimming for some time but I have been swimming after my first op years ago and I did the breast stroke - I can't remember though how long after the op it's too long ago.
  • Posted

Hello Linzh,

ive vey been thinking of getting a Fitbit too, same a few extra kilos around my middle appearing !!

i asked my surgeon about breast stroke and he said it was ok, he showed me in a joint how opening my legs was quite a safe position. I had anterior so I guess it probably comes down to approach again.

maybe you could do an adult swim fit class to master other styles?? It is so good for you. I'm heading to the pool this morning and am going to do some exercises in the pool while the girls do their squads.

enjoy your weekend 🏊🏊🏊🏊

• Posted

Hi Linzi, 

I had to google Fitbit cheesygrin - now I know - learning something new every day ....

Not much to add ... I haven't been in a pool or a long time and don't even own a bathing suit --  have to put my pride away here and accept that my body is not the same as ??? years ago ...

of course you will swim again .... 

My Physical Therapist put me on the exercise bike as soon as could go to her gym ... apparently that is one of the best exercises and least weight bearing - just start with little resistance ... 

You sound wonderful, Linzi - 

warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Linzi

I have been using a Fitbit from about a month before my op and in the nearly 5 wks since, to keep tabs on my steps and also sleep.... I've ended up a bit well, not quite obsessed, but so seem to look up how I've done quite a lot cry - it's rather good I think

Re swimming - I'd like to start but haven't done so yet (seeing consultant next week).  I saw a feature on BBC Breakfast this morning where they were showing a guy who has done open water swimming in some of the most treacherous waters in the world - who's training 4 women who are going to swim from Northern Ireland to Scotland! - he's devised a new stroke (based on front crawl) that makes it a lot easier to do and that he claims you can do for hours and hours - essentially putting less emphasis on your shoulders.... worth having a look at that on BBC iplayer?  

Neil x

• Posted

Hey Linzi

I've just replied to Georgie on swimming too! At Exeter the physios say tis fine at 6 weeks..any stroke incuding breast - which is also all I know too! Just not too energetic at first...

I've just brought a pro roller thing for sitting back on haunches..also massages of lower thighs...and im improving abs and ads at the gym.

Happy non hot so called summer day!uv

Mic

X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.