11 weeks post op... THIS SITE HAS BEEN A GOD SEND

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am 11 weeks post op after having both feet done and hammer toe, and i would just like to say a big thank you to everyone who has taken the time to reply.. without this site and all the lovely people on here sharing experience, giving advice, healing tips, walking advice... i dont know how i would of got through the last 11 weeks.. i am still along way off recovery but feeling alot better today, this site has been a daily read for me and its like sharing a room with people going through the same, so i thank you from my heart everyone and wish us all happy feet soon xx

2 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I second that!!! I am 7 weeks post op and without you and this site I don't know how I would be feeling emotionally. Thank you so much and heres to happy and moving feet to everyone!!
  • Posted

Hi Gilles,

i am only 4 days post surgery so am pretty new to this site but I fully understand where your coming from. It truely is a lifesaver. Everyone is so supportive. I would also like to thank everyone.xx

• Posted

Aw Gillee, we have all become cyber friends. Im sure we will all recover in the coming months. Its a long, slower process than I anticipated. Have a fabulous holiday, I am sure it will do you the world of good. Keep us updated. Denise x
  • Posted

Me too seven weeks today post op. Bandages were off on Tuesday, consultant really pleased with me.  Walking around town now with just a little swelling if I overdo it.  Finding the best shoes to wear without causing blisters is a challenge.  Feeling great and well worth having both feet done at once.  Keep your chin up gets better each week that passes.

• Posted

HI all, this is a UK site but following from Canada. I am just 8 weeks post op from double bunion removal and 5 screws for toe correction . Still some swelling and need to take it easy (easier doss than done) and returning to work on Tuesday ! Yikes ! Doctor has given me note indicating 'light duties ' as determined by me. As I work at a university and new term starts in 4 weeks, this will be a challenge.

Best of luck to everyone .

• Posted

hi lynn, i wish you well for your early return back to work, i am 11 weeks post op and can not get into any shoes only lounge slippers and then i have had to cut the toes out due to the swelling, i must say you are very brave as this has been one of the most painful experiences ever, i am ok when i awake but as soon as i weight bare the swelling starts and really hurts... bit fed up with it all at the moment, however wish you a speedy recovery and good luck at work x
    • Posted

HI Gillee, the swelling is frustrating . Keep ice pack handy and use whenever you can to help reduce swelling . I will give my feet a short bath in cold water as it helps as well . The weather here is very hot (unlike you guys -soeey) so stil wearing sandals for w good few more months . Have had to buy new ones and although not pretty by any means, if you can find ones with adjustable straps it.helps to accommodate for swelling.

I understand swelling can last up to a year so not sure what I'm going to do come fall/winter. Stay tuned I guess smile

• Posted

Hi Gillee. I logged on thinking of you and wondering how that swelling is? Since my pin removal I'm allowed to walk for 15 mins. Swelling and pain  is so annoying. No end to icing and elevating! I have to keep positive! Going to be a long road. Not sure I'll be driving anytime soon, toes are very tight and sore but my first physio session us in Wednesday when she will manipulate the toes! Here is a picture as of now.....I'm in bed ..........icing. And elevating lol
    • Posted

Hi Rae

your foot is looking really good. Are you able to fit in a normal shoe. I am 12 weeks and cant get into a normal shoe. I bought some sandals from mean feet with velcro, not that trendy really, but even these rub my feet. I bought the skecher walker and returned them as they caused foot pressure. Just interested in which footwear people are wearing. Thanks and goof luck with the physio. Denise

• Posted

Hi Denise, thank you, when I had pin removed I took my work shoes and I could get the right on but the left was a little tight, Dr said they will swell a lot more and could be up to 6 months! Over the past two days I've worn some summer sandals I usually wear abroad, I went out last night for a meal, I knew about it later and that was only from sitting down, the blood rushes to my feet, and they ached. Maybe you should go up a size? Cheap and cheerful for now? I'm surprised at how well I've healed scars are fab, even the X-ray Man said try were fantastic. I complimented the Dr on his sewing lol I was concerned at the stories of not being able to wear normal shoes but I must be lucky I guess. Ice ice ice, I'm holding ice packs around my feet as much as I can stand, massage too, I find the area where the bunions we're gets hot and sore if I over do it. We will get there x 
    • Posted

Thanks Rae, I massage several times a day and it helps, still keep it elevated as other foot is 4 weeks post op. Do you think a size up will help with the width. I thought a bunionless foot would be easier. Its fine walking bare foot in the house. My scars have healed well, still a bit red, I massage bio oil in them. Its just the shoes thats the issue. You are very lucky, but looks like you are working hard to get it right, well done x
    • Posted

I use bio oil too, lovely. Maybe Clarks extra wide may help? I've been told not to walk bare foot as too much pressure going through feet. It will get better in time Den, just seems like forever. X
    • Posted

I just need to get some shoes on, back at work in 4-5 weeks.  Ive tried loads but will go an extra size up. Id already gone up a size because of the bunion ha ha. All the best x
    • Posted

Sorry, physio told me to go barefoot in the house and practice heel to toe walking, i wouldnt be able to do it yet on second foot though, its too early x
    • Posted

Hi Den, sorry to butt in, just saw your comment as I was replying to Gilly.  If you're thinking of wearing trainers it's worth trying out men's ones as they're a lot wider size for size to women's ones.....come in smallish sizes too a. just not the height of fashion...!!!  Wishing you happy new feet! 
    • Posted

Thanks Bee thats worth a try, thanks and good luck x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.