Surgery 7/31, something new

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all,

Today was my long anticipated surgery. I had the first slot of the day, being at the hospital at 5:30 AM. Hardest part of the day was no coffee to start the day. After check in they had me change into the backless gown then into a bed. First the nurse attached the blood pressure cuff, then the EEG leads, then the IV, and pluged me in. The anastegiestologist came in to visit and question me again about my general health relating to putting me under. My next visitor was the surgeon Ted Chung of Destin FL. He had the nurse give me a shot in my IV to calm me, as they rolled me to the OR i was out!

Woke up 1 hr later in my room groggy, no pain. The nurse came in to disconnect me from the IV, EEG leads, and blood pressure cuff.

Next was some things I had not read in the forum, I did not have to urinate before I was released, and the surgeon told my wife he removed 400cc from my testicle which was now the same size as before the seal developed, But was told it would refill and get hard but would be back to normalin 4 to 5 weeks.

I did take 1 pain pill for some pinching pain, but that should be about all or so I hope.

As for Mike who asked about sex, I asked DR Chung he told me wait a day or two but be gentle. Sorry to say Mike, Prostrate cancer took my manhood.  BOCES

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Good luck on recovery dude, ice is your friend.
  • Posted

Sounds very similar to mine which was Tuesday. Ice is definitely a must...almost constantly. I went off pain meds after day 1 (my brain doesn't like them) and started a strict Tylenol regimen. I only took it once today (day 4). Went out to an event tonight with jock strap cinching up the boys. Bruising started big time today! Soreness is still there, but I woke up 50% better than yesterday, stayed on ice and took it easy. Don't get fooled into thinking you're ok to start too much activity. Gravity is a bitch! Stay rested. Cabin fever was getting the better of me but I realized I had to let my body rest. Get some books and stay in bed for a day, at least. It made a huge difference. This is no "minor" surgery, dudes! Necessary and worth it, but not like a simple vasectomy (which was cake in comparison)!
  • Posted

It has been 1 week since my Surgery.  I am a male who just turned 66.  Lifetime non-smoker, light social drinker.  Cataract surgery in both eyes about 10 months ago.  No other surgery.  BP normal, no problem with colesterol.  Only health issue is Asthma, and two inhalers a year keep it under control.  My left sac was drained of over 1000 ccs. of fluid, which is about a quart.  Pain on day of surgery, and most of the following day.  Tylenol-3 every 6 hours and ice packs.  Ice is your best friend.  I had to urinate twice before discharge from the hospital.  A drain was inserted during surgery. The observed urination  was to check for blood in my urine. and to teach me how to pack the area.  I had a slight discharge from the drain until morning after surgery.  Time between Tylenol-3's stretched out as the pain gradually decreased.  Tylenol-3 was constipative, and I took my last one on day 3 after surgery in the morning.  Advil was used after that.  Again, Ice is your friend.  Drain was removed on day 4.  I drove myself the 5 miles to the doctor.  I have grocery shopped, gone to the bank, and on day 6 after surgery mowed my lawn.  About 1/3 of an acre total with a self-propelled walk behind power mower. I was told by my surgeon that the muscle tissue cut duruing the procedure is no prone to rippage, and I would not do damage.  Let pain and discomfort be my guide in how fast I resume activities.  I wore an athletic supporter too keep the boys up until after the drain was removed.  I now wear briefs.  I was told wearing two pair of briefs at a time can give additional suppoert, but I have not done so as of yet.  I live in Macomb County Michigan.  I am pretty much back to my normal routine, and I will update in a week or so to tell you how I am doing. 
    • Posted

Hey Bill glad your feeling better. I was also wearing a support, but at night wore nothing to keep the air moving to help heal the stiches. The more I walked the better I have felt within reason, (food store). I followed advice from the group and ice helped on the side with the seal problem. Just take it slow. Be well.
  • Posted

I wore the supporter until the morning following the surgery. And then the briefs.  The briefs kept the wound packing in place.  Because of the drain had a slight discharge in it that morning, I repacked the wound and kept that set up until the second morning when no discharge was evident.  Swelling in the area has gone down a lot by today. The friction from walking and moving is a lot less.  Once again, Ice is your friend.  I have used over-the-counter bacitracin ointment on the stitches to help prevent infection.  It seems sticky, but as the swelling subsides, it is less of an issue.  The bacitracin was not suggested by my surgeon.  I have routinely used the ointment in the past on minior cuts and scrapes as general first aide care..  I usually continues using the ointment for 5-7 days. Instructions on the packaging reccomend not using the product for more than a week.  Each day gets better,.  I reccomend that anyone facing the surgery get it done, and as soon as possible. and 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.