Diagnosed with Silent Reflux, prescribed Nexium. Some questions...

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi,

My ENT put a scope down my throat and diagnosed me with a "proabably new and not very severe" case of silent reflux. My symptoms are a slight burning in the throat and mucus coming up throughout the day. I was initially diagnosed with chronic bronchitis. Not sure if that diagnosis even holds now and I have both conditions, or just the SLR.

My doctor prescribed Nexium 40mg 1 a day for 2 months, then see him again. I think he said take it 15 min. after breakfast, but the Nexium site says 30 min before meals. Can anyone guide me here on when to take it?

2. Anything to worry about with this medication? I'm researching now and seeing some comments about "beware of the reflux medications your dr. prescribes because they can do more harm than good." Does that apply here, or should I just follow doctor's orders?

2 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've used meds for over 10 years. Very important to take BEFORE meals (20 mins is usually recommended.) I've been taking Zegerid (OTC) because my insurance won't cover Rx medications for acid refulx and even when they did would not cover taking two pills a day. I would check with the Pharmacist.
  • Posted

I followed orders and it got me nowhere.  But, I can't speak for anyone here.  You have to research.  I have a weak sphinter muscle there at the base.  But, I am laying low until I can understand more....been long enough but I don't want the operation.  No one has recommended it to this point.

Never did Nexium.  Keep us posted.

• Posted

I had suffered for years with acid reflux.  It seems that the best doctors can offer is to block stomach acid production so that the stomachs contents can slosh upward without damaging the esophagus.  But, there is a reason to stop the sloshing completely.  When stomach liquids come upward when a person is sleeping, it can be inhaled into the lungs.  This could actually cause a person to suffocate before they are able to restart their breathing.  This happened to me, and I immediately got a wedge to sleep on.  But, there is another way to deal with the reflux.

By drinking 8 to 10 oz of cabonated water.  It can even be seltzer or sparkling water.  When you get the urge to burp, you stop it.  It may feel uncomfortable the first few times but soon you will be able to hold down the burp for 30 minutes or more without effort.  The idea is to strengthen the esophageal sphincter.  The job of the esophageal sphincter is to keep the stomach contents in the stomach at all times.  It is usually in a closed position.  For various reasons, the esophageal sphincter stops doing its job.  Whatever the reason, strengthening the esophageal sphincter will solve the problem of acid reflux and the accompaning sysmptoms.  Do the exersize 3 to 4 times a day.  And keep at it.  It will work.  Let me know if you have any questions, and keep me updated if you want to try this. 

Regards, Jonathan

• Posted

So this therapy worked for you? Can you give us a timeline on how many weeks you had to do it before seeing improvement? And do you continue to do it? I'm not sure I'd be disciplined enough to do that 3 times a day permanently. But then, if it really works...

And how did you hear about this? Have others tried it?

• Posted

Jonathan57679

Thank you for that possibility.  I have suffered now for close to  yrs...life has changed, depression, have seen now 15 doctors...of all kinds, including Mayo Clinic.  Been through endoscopy, bravo, ct scans, mri of the brain, sputum testing, metal testing...etc.  I have taken their drugs...now this new doctor (as I am now dealing with a hypothyroid increasing upwards on test) said to me, take the zantac (my last prescription, didn't work) and galviscon, inbetween.  Day two today!  I am going to try your script on the burping...although I don't burp and have never had to deal with reflux as my past has been clean with right living and foods...but?  I have drank wine over time...no fried foods (rare)junk foods or sodas.  4 yrs of this come Oct.  Depression has set in at 66 yrs old.  I could care less if I continue to live, honestly.  My new doc wants me to see a psycologist.  Wow I say!  Thanks for your recommendation and I will try it~ 

• Posted

The three times a day would be just until the sphincter starts holding down the acid.  I am now down to once a day.  Others are trying it at this time but I have little feedback so far.  This is my own recent discovery.  But, it is just logical that it should help most people with acid reflux.  If a persons heart becomes weak from a sedentary lifestyle, excersise is usually "prescribed". 

I know that acid blockers are not all that safe.  They damage the stomach by making chemical burns, cause acid revenge when you try to stop, cause osteoporosis, and possiblly damage all muscles by reduced protein assimilation.  Everyone  taking acid blockers should also be taking an enzyme capsule with every meal so they can digest their food.  But, doctors never tell their patients that information.

• Posted

I'm sorry that you have suffered so much.  It can make anyone depressed.  If acid reflux is your main problem, then I hope the carbonated water treatment helps you. 

When you do this, you need to really focus on holding down the burp.  It may be uncomfortable at first, but then any excercise usually is.  It really is not the burping that exercises but the holding down the pressure.  Eventually it will become very easy as the sphincter gets stronger.

Keep me posted as to your progress. 

• Posted

Thank you for that Jonathan, it's wotprth a try. Mine has gone on for years and although  the acid is much better, I still have the nasal drip and throat clearing. It drives me mad. Best wishes,
    • Posted

This thread is 2 years old so was wondering how you are these days.... did the strengthening work ....are you still symptom free?

I'm just starting down this road 😕

• Posted

Hi Forest:

Thanks for asking.  At my worst I had a number of issues.  Acid reflux, stomach burning, gastritus causing constant nausea, small intestinal obstructions causing nausea and vomitting and near complete loss of normal bowel function.  I had been taking acid blockers and ant acids for years.  I looked normal and had a full time job and many other obligations, stressing me out, especially when I could not fulfill them.  Because it got really bad I had to retire.  That's when I did a lot of research.  I almost volunteered to have the linx magnets surgey for my reflux issue.  I'm so glad I did not.  The carbonated water treatment worked just as well with no surgery.  I started eating a lot of probiotic yogurt to help my stomach and intestinal problems.  That helped a lot. I still have a routine to maintain my progress.  First thing in the morning I have a tall glass of water with a half capful of myralax.  Then a tall yogurt smoothie.  I blend frozen fruit, add carrots, a tomatoe, a frozen banana, blend it fast, then I add protein powder and 1 cup of yogurt, blend slow.   It makes 3 tall glassfuls which I drink during the day and right before bed.  I have recovered normal bowell function again.  I am able to do the things I did years ago.  We go out to restaurants and I order whatever I want with no issues.  I consider myself cured but I keep up the regimine because I have an inherant tendancy to digestive issues and I don't want to go backward.  I eat a huge salad every day and different fruits daily.  Out of all my problems, the acid reflux was the worst and that's why I worked on it first.  Once that was under control I could address the other issues.

Give it a try, start out slow.  6oz of carbonated water holding down the burp for 5 minutes.  Do this every three hours.  Add 1 oz of carbonated water each week and add 5 minutes per session.

Keep me updated.  John

• Posted

Walter, all I can say is that I was prescribed Nexium - for a totally illogical reason as far as I am concerned - and it turned my system around completely.  I stopped after a couple of days (the prescription was the same as yours) and it took me a year to get my system back to anything close to normal.  Stay away from this ghastly drug if you possibly can help it. 
    • Posted

Oh no. What do you mean "turned your system around"? What symptoms did it bring on?
  • Posted

If you have a hernia I would not recommend Jonathans excercise it may put too much pressure on the diaphram/esophagus/stomach area. Just a FYI
    • Posted

I am not a doctor but before surgery was common, people would drink a large amount of regular water and then jump up and down to reposition their stomach back down where it belongs.  Apparently it would pull the hernia down below the diaphram.  I did try that a few times, but it was uncomfortable as I was already nauseated from acid reflux, gastritis and bloating.  Its possible that the carbonated water may also reposition the stomach to its proper location and push the diaphram up where it belongs. 

Most of my symptoms were caused by a "safe" steroidal nasal spray (Flonase) that I had used for years.  I stopped it, and use another type now.  Many people have stomach problems from drugs they have taken. 

I wish someone had told me about the carbonated water treatment, then maybe I would not have suffered so long. 

Carbonated water is not dangerous and no one has ever been injured by it.

• Posted

The dr.s told me not to drink carbonated water because of the acid. I used to drink it and I was fine.
    • Posted

Mine too was caused by a steroid nasal spray. It also caused a long session of oral thrush so stay off the srpteroud nasal sprays 
    • Posted

And now the new asthma inhalers are also steroidal and cause more digestive issues more more people.  The pharmaceutical companies are getting away with poor testing by putting whats called A to Z side effects on eveything so they can't be sued.  I try to take as little medications as possible now.
    • Posted

They are concerned that people will be burping all the time from the carbonation and that burping might splash acid upward.  But, actually burping is natural and has never caused acid reflux.  Acid reflux is caused by a weak esophageal sphincter that lets acid flow upward when we sleep.  That is what causes the damage.  But, my method involves holding down the burp and strengthening the sphincter so that it holds shut while we sleep.  It is the only method I've heard of that prevents the reflux.  Then things can heal.  I was cured by this method.  I have no more reflux problems, and I can even eat spagetti and pizza, which were my "trigger" foods.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.