Both Hips done and Dusted

Posted , 11 users are following.

well after RTHR in March and now the LTHR done in July I am now level again and almost pain free, but although the surgeries both went well my second stay was 10 days. The reason for that was that due to over long term mdedicines for Diabeties, BP etc and the morphine i was taken pre-op after the 3rd day of surgery I started to have  hallucinations and remamber falling but not being taken back to PACU due to kidney failure.

Over the next few days they saved my kidneys and I wa starting to respond well, but so much as to being home for my 65th in stead on that day I had a massive  hallucination and can only be described as a drug  trip, I have never been so terrifyed in my life I jumped out of bed grabbed my phone and tried to make my escape, I was convinced that they were after me, on my run I pulled out a line into my head and canulars and when finally cornered next to an emergency exit having called the police 3 times and my wife who I left hanging on the phone, and broke the Dr,s injection atemps about 6 times and halfway pulling out of my cathater Sister managed to catch my attenion and finish removing my caithater also alowing the Dr to finally administer a seditve. I only had a couple more episodes none involeing me trying to leave my bed. so all and all my stay lastest 10 days, I can only thank all the staff at the hospital for their fantastic skills and professional work in returning me home with 2 new hips

Regards  RonC

5 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Well done, Ron, you win the prize for Most dramatic hip replacement of the Month!

I can't imagine the horror you went through in a drugged haze but glad that you are out and on the road to recovery x

• Posted

Well done Ron but I am sure for you this was real even though it was notreal.  It is crazy how our bodies react to meds. Glad you had no real damage done.

Shame you missed your birthday. But judging by what you went through I bet you are glad you did and you were in the right place.. Congratulations on having both hips done. I won't be far behind you. :-)

• Posted

WoW..it sounds like the story from a James Bond film...I hope you are back to normal now enjoying your two new hips.
  • Posted

I'm sure you will laugh about this eventually but not so funny when it was happening to you. Good luck with your recovery now you are home. 

I hope you get to enjoy your belated birthday.

• Posted

My god Ron you had one hell of a ride! Morphine really doesn't suit some people apparently. Anyway you're on the mend now!
  • Posted

Holy Crap Ron!

that reads like a fiction story but I am sure it was terrifying to live it.

was it a particular drug that did it?

i had BAD psychological reaction to Tramadol, whoa real bad.

• Posted

So did I and I felt like bugs crawling all over. It turned out to be an allergic reaction. 

Also after surgery for thr the pain machine for I've wasn't working. I felt the raw pain after the block,wore off as the nurses were frantically trying to fix the machine. All I could do is scream in a wisper in my sheets. 

Pit turned out that the electrical socket the machine for it pains meds was not working.

Who wudda thought? Just lucky I guess....

• Posted

I can't imagine anyone been thru so much at one time for thr. 

You have won my heart over. Makes went I went thru like nothing in comparison. 

I hope you stay on the mend. My heart and prayers go out to you and your family. 

There is a diabetic in my life and this disease can complicate so many other health issues.

keep us posted.

• Posted

Dear Ron, 

Good Lord ... what a story and what a happy ending !!! 

Happy belated birthday to you and many many healthy years to come ....There is a whole wave of 2nd THR surgery here on this forum and I, for one, am very curious what your experience will be ... I had RTHR on March 16, 2015 and probably will have the next one in October ...

Enjoy being at home, new hips and new year !!!

warm hug

renee

• Posted

WOW what a year you've had. I hope you manage to maybe put your Thanks into a letter for the staff. Complications do happen and I'm sure your wife is relieved you are home and OK.

I wish you well in your rehabilitation.

🌈💌🌈💌

• Posted

Hi everyone and thank you for all our good wishes my system seems to be nearly back to normalawaiting blood tests results this week, onl thing is I feel so tied and have no energy, but did manage a walk around the local flat park on crutches with my wife (Sue) and the dog I think its just going to take a bit of time. Don't laugh talk about a glutton for punishment I have a pre-op on Aug 10th for an op on my nose on Aug11th that's if i'm passed fit.  Anyway thanks again for your good wishes and good luck to all of you awaiting you op's it is worth it.

Best Regards

RonC

• Posted

You've clearly been through the mill, Ron but sounds like you are coming through the other side.

I'm having THR number 2 in just over 3 weeks and I'm hoping it goes as well as the first but it's not always the case is it?

I hope you continue to recover well.

Take care.

Ali x

• Posted

Hi Ron glad your doing ok nice to hear from you smile a walk in the park?????? lol isn't that what this hippie thing is all about? lol Love Gill xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.