Colonoscopy test and pos surgery to come!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had diverticular disease since 2006, with the norm being two or three bouts a year; treated with antibiotics and bed rest.  Then since November I have had TEN bouts.  I know where it is heading if I go on like this!  On the mend from one bout when another hits - have only days of good health at a time; if any as some bouts just follow while I am still having after pains from the previous bout.  I have to have a Colonoscopy on Thursday which is not something to look forward to - and the Consultant wants me to shed weight and see him again in about two months to review and to discuss elective surgery.  Not having much luck with the weight loss; and dreading Thursday tests and what may be to come..... Is there anything anyone can say to shine a light at the end of this particular tunnel please?

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry if it is not to ask this but why does the doctor want you to lose weight, this annoys me about doctors that is the first conclusion they reach for 'all problems are weight related' but what would they say if someone was very slim and had the exact same problems x
  • Posted

If you must lose weight the 5:2 diet seems to work. Five days eating normally and two days eating 500 calories. Some nice meals on offer at around 500 calories.

Google it for more.

• Posted

If you are being treated with antibiotics for each bout then this will have destroyed all the good bacteria in your colon and might lead to a low immune system. I find the low fibre diet leads to constipation which cannot be good for a pouchy colon. I have tried to avoid antibiotics after my hospital stay with this disease and my doc says if I have no fever I can try and treat it at home with diet and rest. I can no longer eat big meals so going out to restaurants is no longer the treat it used to be (very sad here in France!) and I have lost some weight as a result. The colonoscopy at least will give an idea of where the diverticules are and how extensive. Some people say that the surgery was the answer to their problems and gave them their life back. Good luck -the prep is the worst part.
    • Posted

Hi I am new to all this so when you say that " the surgery was the answer to their problems" what does the surgery involve please x
    • Posted

Big slice down the belly from breast bone to pubic bone; part of colon removed and IF you are very lucky; all reconnected there and then - and a long recovery as the bowel reagligns.  If you are not lucky; a stoma bag - with the possibility of a second major op a few months later to reverse it all and take the bag away and connect up the colon.  Which ever way; it is life changing and major.  My brother in law has undergone the surgeries so I know a fair bit about it (his was for Crones disease).
    • Posted

I have started taking Acidophilius with pectin from Holland and Barrett; to put the good bacteria back into my gut.  this was following advice from someone on these pages.  HOPE it helps my gut fight the bacteria naturally and wards off the bouts of infection.  .... I seem to get fever with every bout these days.  When I dont, I have tried just resting and only having liquids; but it then gets a hold and the pain gets worse and the fever hits.  So it seems for me its antibiotcs every time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.